Brian's GLA 6g Rimless V.2 - Rescape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Details, please :popcorn:

Yeah did some digging around and found people use those flexible cutting boards as substrate supports. I was going to buy them online but found polypropylene placemats at Target on clearance for 98¢. They work great and are easy to cut. Just cut to size and shove in the substrate to divide sections (especially where there's invasive species of plants that shoot runners) or just push them in to support heavy stone from collapsing/sinking in the substrate. Works great to keep slopes intact and to prevent them from sliding as well.

Here's a pic "flooded"... Africana Serengeti "grasslands"... now just need things to fill in.

img_2661793_0_1ce7cd8d9c705c0839a295e40c819527.jpg

Yeah did some digging around and found people use those flexible cutting boards as substrate supports. I was going to buy them online but found polypropylene placemats at Target on clearance for 98¢. They work great and are easy to cut. Just cut to size and shove in the substrate to divide sections (especially where there's invasive species of plants that shoot runners) or just push them in to support heavy stone from collapsing/sinking in the substrate. Works great to keep slopes intact and to prevent them from sliding as well.

Thanks for the explanation, I just can't visualize it though... any pics or links?

Tank looks great flooded... so much for DSM :hide:

When you guys say flooded what do you mean.
Sorry I am new to aqua scaping

Oh lol I feel dumb

Don't feel dumb. Honest question. Often smaller carpeting plants are planted with very little water in a method known as DSM (dry start method). This allows optimal CO2 and growth opportunities. Once decent growth is obtained, water is added to the tank (flooded).

Thanks for the explanation, I just can't visualize it though... any pics or links?

Tank looks great flooded... so much for DSM :hide:

These were the ones...they come in assorted prints but it doesn't matter because they get shoved into the substrate and aren't seen anyways.

http://m.target.com/p/room-essentials-polypropylene-chevron-cool-placemat-set-of-4/-/A-14279049

You can probably find some at bed bath and beyond or ebay.. if not placemats, then flexible cutting boards.

I understand how these can easily be cut up and used as dividers, but how are you using them as "substrate supports" - like to make hills?

You just cut them into squares/rectangles and stick them in the substrate at an angle with the slope. It helps prevent sliding... especially in light substrate like AS that doesn't hold slopes well.

Go to YouTube and watch some of James Findley's aquascape videos from The Green Machine. He uses them in numerous build videos but also most recently in the Crimson Sky

Looks good Brian!!! I can't wait for the DHG to fill in! This things gonna look EPIC! :p

Thanks, Bill... any critiques? I sorta wanted to just get it all done in one swoop so I hope my stone placement is okay? I know you have some OCD! Haha

I dunno man, I'm finding it hard to make a suggestion with this one... There's so many possibilities! It's up to you, I mean, if you're diggin it, that's what matters! I like it, that was just my only critique. I'll stare at it for a while and see how I feel... :lol:

Haha... cool man. I should've consulted my GF, the master scaper, but she was passed out last night... and I was impatient!

I asked her right now, she didn't even know I rescaped it last night. She suggested I push the left stone down a bit towards the back of the tank. I'll give it a go.

So do you guys think I don't have to fertilize for a while since the aqua soil is suppose to be nutrition packed?

Back
Top Bottom