Brian's GLA 6g Rimless V.2 - Rescape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I'm sitting here at my desk "trying" to do my homework... I'm getting distracted by my tank! LOL

It's strange to look at it after seeing it a certain way for over a year.

Anyway... I think the red diodes in the FugeRay-R is really making the Africana & Ohko look amazing.

More pics :)

ibtP6BwRNbYYG9.jpg

iblVHxbgBfiYGq.jpg

iGHV4s3wRapTI.jpg

Well I'm sitting here at my desk "trying" to do my homework... I'm getting distracted by my tank! LOL It's strange to look at it after seeing it a certain way for over a year. Anyway... I think the red diodes in the FugeRay-R is really making the Africana & Ohko look amazing. More pics :)

That happens to me all too often. Lol! Tanks looking awesome, Brian! :)

Thanks Joey!!!

BTW guys... notice anything strange about this pic? :confused: I think I started hearing some african music playing in the background... like something out of a documentary on the African Serengeti! LOL

ibjSVFYHYetGy9.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:
Nice one Brian... very Mutual of Omaha ;)

I was thinking about putting the torch hand of the Statue of Liberty, covered in algae and moss, sticking up out my the substrate in our 23G for kicks... anyone know that movie?

About your fert question... I would keep tabs on ammonia levels and if you have readable ammonia I wouldn't dose nitrates. I would test and add phosphate and micro's even if only at half the amounts to start. This way you know the plants will be getting all the macro and micro's they need and by only dosing half at first you won't be going fert happy with what leaches out of the substrate. Just my thoughts.

About your fert question... I would keep tabs on ammonia levels and if you have readable ammonia I wouldn't dose nitrates. I would test and add phosphate and micro's even if only at half the amounts to start. This way you know the plants will be getting all the macro and micro's they need and by only dosing half at first you won't be going fert happy with what leaches out of the substrate. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the reply, Janice :)

Here are the dry ferts we have:
AquariumFertilizer.com Monopotassium Phosphate
AquariumFertilizer.com Potassium Nitrate
AquariumFertilizer.com Potassium Sufate

We also have liquid micros:
Flourish
Flourish Excel
Flourish Iron

I'm dosing Excel in our 2G Pico Cube daily, 2 drops
-this tank has a split 8-hour photo period daily, 4 on, 2 off, 4 on
-this tank has GSA showing

I'm also dosing Flourish in all our tanks 2x weekly
-2 drops in our 2G tanks
-9 drops in our 6G tank

I'm NOT dosing our 20G Grow Out Tank because it's bedded with Miracle Grow Organic Garden soil and capped with medium sand.

What should we be dry dosing with and how often?

Nice one Brian... very Mutual of Omaha ;)

I was thinking about putting the torch hand of the Statue of Liberty, covered in algae and moss, sticking up out my the substrate in our 23G for kicks... anyone know that movie?

Dude.. that would be neat! The Day After Tomorrow!!! LOL

Great thought! I NEED to test for ammonia... but I think I should just do a large PWC since I haven't done that yet on these tanks with the AS as substrate. I've been told and read numerous places that large PWC's should be conducted daily after the initial flooding. Something along the lines of a week or two...

Dude.. that would be neat! The Day After Tomorrow!!! LOL

I guess I'm showing my age here... Planet of the Apes, 1968

But Day After Tomorrow is pretty cool too... I like the scene where the helicopters freeze in mid flight

Attachments

• POTA.jpg
    POTA.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Great thought! I NEED to test for ammonia... but I think I should just do a large PWC since I haven't done that yet on these tanks with the AS as substrate. I've been told and read numerous places that large PWC's should be conducted daily after the initial flooding. Something along the lines of a week or two...

Ugh... Large, daily PWCs... on a 23G... wow

The Planet of the Apes one is better... it has the sandy look w/ rocks. Definitely aquascapable! LOL

Thanks for the reply, Janice :)

Here are the dry ferts we have:
AquariumFertilizer.com Monopotassium Phosphate
AquariumFertilizer.com Potassium Nitrate
AquariumFertilizer.com Potassium Sufate

We also have liquid micros:
Flourish
Flourish Excel
Flourish Iron

I'm dosing Excel in our 2G Pico Cube daily, 2 drops
-this tank has a split 8-hour photo period daily, 4 on, 2 off, 4 on
-this tank has GSA showing

I'm also dosing Flourish in all our tanks 2x weekly
-2 drops in our 2G tanks
-9 drops in our 6G tank

I'm NOT dosing our 20G Grow Out Tank because it's bedded with Miracle Grow Organic Garden soil and capped with medium sand.

What should we be dry dosing with and how often?

Do you have dosing bottles?

In one bottle or container you need to mix 65 grams of KNO3, Potassium Nitrate with 1000ml of distilled or RO water, shake well, leave overnight before using.

In a second bottle mix 59 grams of Potassium Sulfate and 6 grams of Mono Potassium Phosphate with 1000ml of distilled or RO water, shake well, leave overnight before using.

General dosing is 1ml of each solution per every 10 gallons daily. BUT I literally take my end of the week tank readings for nitrates and phosphates to see where my levels are at right before a WC. This then shows me if I need to increase, decrease, or dose the same for the coming week. I prefer low nitrates at 10ppm and high phosphates at 5-10ppms. Good levels for most tanks are 10-20ppm nitrates and 1-3ppm phosphates.

I don't use the liquid micro's so am not any help there but Excel is a liquid carbon not a fert.

My 220g is dirted but still needs ferts for the water. The soil will provide some but not enough nutrients for stem plants except the first few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom