0.1g Planted Pico Cube - Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome I think you should add one wisker shrimp

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I wonder if I could do this with a Betta bowl I bought from Betta Treasures? It looks adorable ,but there is no way I would put a fish in it so it just sits empty. Interesting idea I am curios how it will go for you and I might just give it a try. Following....:)

Haha I always have a betta bowl and was thinking to do the same too. :p

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd definitely recommend giving it some time before adding livestock. Shrimp would really look nice in there though!

I'm definitely going to wait a good while before adding anything. I'm right now trying to combat an algae issue (didn't see that coming :nono:) and letting the tank get established.

I wonder if I could do this with a Betta bowl I bought from Betta Treasures? It looks adorable ,but there is no way I would put a fish in it so it just sits empty. Interesting idea I am curios how it will go for you and I might just give it a try. Following....:)

I'm sure you can, go for it. This has been fun so far, but definitely a challenge.

Thanks for following!

Update: 3/13 - 1 week

Tomorrow will be 1 week since I planted the pico tank. To recap, I ended up planting it with Glossostigma elantinoides and Myriophyllum tuberculatum.

The plants are holding up, but as it turns out my observations when I brought the plants home where right. The Myriophyllum tuberculatum had a bit of hair algae on it and it has spread to the Glosso e. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I reduced my photoperiod from 5hr to about 3.5-4hr now (I'll have to double check to be sure). Ferts are Flourish, Excel, Iron, and API Co2 Booster. I'm currently dosing about 3 drops of each from a 3ml pipette daily.

I also did a water change about 2 days ago. Using a Co2 line, I syphoned out 0.003g (0.5 cups) of water and the tank is 0.1g (3 cups), so I removed 1/6 of the water volume (not sure what percentage that would be - 20% I think). When I did the water change it actually looked like the half of tank was emptied. So my thought is that when I added the substrate, driftwood, and pants, the volume capacity changed. So 0.1g (3 cups) may not be the actual total volume of the tank at the present, but I'll use this number for now.

I'll probably post some pictures this weekend. As always, I welcome suggestions and constructive criticism.

Thanks for looking and following!

Afraid I can't answer any of your questions regarding the ferts or lighting period, but not surprising that you got a algae bloom with the combination. I believe ADA soil is known for having high ammonia levels from set-up and I know with mine it took quite awhile for pH to fall in the acceptable range for livestock.

Afraid I can't answer any of your questions regarding the ferts or lighting period, but not surprising that you got a algae bloom with the combination. I believe ADA soil is known for having high ammonia levels from set-up and I know with mine it took quite awhile for pH to fall in the acceptable range for livestock.

It's ok. Thankfully, algae seems to be have subsided, but I shouldn't be surprised either, with a tank of this size algae is just one of the problems I'm sure to encounter. I haven't tested the water yet, but I heard the same about AS leaching ammonia in the first new weeks and experienced that with my 2g shrimp tank. I'll have to check the water to see how the levels are. If I do stock it, I'll have to wait a good while. I want to be sure the conditions are suitable first. Thanks for looking!

Btw - I like the Bog :)

Update: 3/16 - 9 Days

As promised here are some pictures of the tank now. Yesterday I did a 20% (0.003g/0.5 cups) water change, trimmed the Glossostigma elantinoides and Myriophyllum tuberculatum, and cleaned the glass. I'm starting to see some good growth from both plants and apparently that's not the only thing growing in the tank. I seem to have found some sort of insect jumping around the tank. Can anyone ID it?

Attachments

• image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 57
  • insect ID.jpg
    insect ID.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image_5.jpeg
    image_5.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Update: 3/16 - More Pictures

Thanks for looking! (y)

Attachments

• image_6.jpeg
    image_6.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image_8.jpeg
    image_8.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image_11.jpeg
    image_11.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 54
It's ok. Thankfully, algae seems to be have subsided, but I shouldn't be surprised either, with a tank of this size algae is just one of the problems I'm sure to encounter. I haven't tested the water yet, but I heard the same about AS leaching ammonia in the first new weeks and experienced that with my 2g shrimp tank. I'll have to check the water to see how the levels are. If I do stock it, I'll have to wait a good while. I want to be sure the conditions are suitable first. Thanks for looking!

Btw - I like the Bog :)

Good to hear. Thanks for checking it out, haven't updated that thread in a while, one of these days I need to do that. Thanks to a local breeder, I think I've finally found the perfect fish for it - at least they seem to be doing well for now. Unfortunately however, they are not native.

As promised here are some pictures of the tank now. Yesterday I did a 20% (0.003g/0.5 cups) water change, trimmed the Glossostigma elantinoides and Myriophyllum tuberculatum, and cleaned the glass. I'm starting to see some good growth from both plants and apparently that's not the only thing growing in the tank. I seem to have found some sort of insect jumping around the tank. Can anyone ID it?

Hard to even hazard a guess from the picture, but based on your description of it and its position in the tank, it sounds as though it could be a springtail (if at the surface) or a copepod (below surface, but swim with slightly jerky motion).

Good to hear. Thanks for checking it out, haven't updated that thread in a while, one of these days I need to do that. Thanks to a local breeder, I think I've finally found the perfect fish for it - at least they seem to be doing well for now. Unfortunately however, they are not native.

Hard to even hazard a guess from the picture, but based on your description of it and its position in the tank, it sounds as though it could be a springtail (if at the surface) or a copepod (below surface, but swim with slightly jerky motion).

They're below the surface and swim quite erratically. Based on the images I found, I believe you are correct. They seem to be a Copepods; I thought I saw a tail of sorts and antennae. Thank you for the ID.

Are they considered a pest? In other words, will they affect plant or other life negatively?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ??

Back
Top Bottom