beginner to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the lfs I was told that I could get a monospecies mbuna tank if I get a bigger filter or anoyher one and run two and keep up with water changes every 1-2 weeks. He said hed help me find proper hiding spots to support a smaller mbuna. He suggested electric yellow labs or going american cichlids with bolivian rams. Still undecided on how im setting up this tank yet a ways away. I just picked up the tank yesterday. So its in my car still. Just wanted to inform you guys what I was told at lfs maybe hes wrong or maybe it can also help people like me who dont know as much

At the lfs I was told that I could get a monospecies mbuna tank if I get a bigger filter or anoyher one and run two and keep up with water changes every 1-2 weeks. He said hed help me find proper hiding spots to support a smaller mbuna. He suggested electric yellow labs or going american cichlids with bolivian rams. Still undecided on how im setting up this tank yet a ways away. I just picked up the tank yesterday. So its in my car still. Just wanted to inform you guys what I was told at lfs maybe hes wrong or maybe it can also help people like me who dont know as much

Don't listen to the LFS guy is my suggestion. You'd be surprised how arse backwards a lot of their advice is, even when they have good intentions. I may now know everything, but I do know that Yellow labs get too long and stalky for a 3 foot long tank. If you got a 4 foot tank, you could keep yellow labs. They're a very attractive fish, you'd like them. But we'd be talking at least a 55 gallon tank.

If you want bang-on suggestions for your tank head over to cichlid-forum.com its the most trusted cichlid forum on the web. Make up your mind about what size tank you're going to get, then ask them what fish to put in it.

As far as water changes go, you should always change at least a 3rd of your water every week. Dernt be lazey with ther firsh. (y)

No, you're right. It appears I knew less than was required about demasoni and brichardi to make recommendations in this thread. I accept that.

Why suggest something that is not a great idea? To give somebody more than one or two options I suppose. I figure if I suggest it with the "bad idea" strings, they will pass the idea by. Nonetheless, it feels nicer to have chosen from a list of five possibilities than from a list of two, doesn't it?:blink:
Just communicating things the way that I'd like them communicated to me. May not work for everybody.

But yes, I was wrong this time, and I hope I didn't steer anybody in the wrong direction.

Indeed it does, but I'll bet that you can come up with a list of five appropriate dwarf cichlids that would work.

If you got a 4 foot tank, you could keep yellow labs. They're a very attractive fish, you'd like them. But we'd be talking at least a 55 gallon tank.

Agreed! Yellow labs are not suitable for a 3 foot aquarium. People recommend them because they are on the smaller size and somewhat less aggressive comparatively speaking. They do not work in a 3 foot tank long term.

I agree with the others and say no yellow labs. They get much larger than you see at the LFS.

He is right on suggesting the Bolivian rams. They would work and very similar to Bolivian rams are the German blue rams but imo they have much nicer colors. I really don't think you would be disappointed with either Bolivians or GBR. A GBR gets to be the size of a 50 cent peace and are quite impressive. They can be quite tough. I actually had one pick on my EBJD that was twice his size and had to separate him out.

The filtration and water change suggestion he gave only takes into account the bio load it doesn't take into account the aggression issue. Granted the yellow labs are at the calmer side of aggression they are still aggressive.

Maybe you can tell us what it is about the mbuna you like and we can make suggestions off that. Is it tempermant, color, origin, size? Are you more partial to groups or a single impressive fish?

Indeed it does, but I'll bet that you can come up with a list of five appropriate dwarf cichlids that would work.
The OP said he disliked dwarf cichlids and wanted something malawi or malawi looking. So I went with that. :huh:

Maybe you can tell us what it is about the mbuna you like and we can make suggestions off that. Is it tempermant, color, origin, size?

Good questions!

The OP said he disliked dwarf cichlids and wanted something malawi or malawi looking. So I went with that. :huh:

Fair enough.

Good questions!

Agreed, excellent suggestion. I also liked your suggestion of the Kribs. There are a number of different variaties available, and their body shape is somewhat similar to Mbuna, although their coloration isn't as bright.

I just like the bold colors they have. I dont want anything huge but nothing tiny either. And Id like to have a few fish not just one. Sorry if answering my questions are getting annoying lol I appreciate this so much!

not annoying I love challenges and helping out new people in the hobby.

These aren't cichlids but have you looked at bosemoni rainbowfish?
bold colors and very sleek and not tiny.

If you want bold colors and multiple fish in that tank the only thing I can suggest are dwarf cichlids. Pretty much looking at kribs rams and other dwarfs. Both kribs and rams get outstanding color with age.

you could do a pair of blood parrots you would have to upgrade in a 4 or 5 years. They are very slow growers. I am not the biggest fan but people like them.

Pair of firemouths, colors and personality on them are awesome. Again you would have to upgrade in a few years. I could send a bunch of fry if you are interested in them.

The 33 gallon is 3 feet long right? You can put a small group of Saulosi or Demasoni in there. It's cramped, but you can do it. A friend had a 29 gallon with demasoni. Was it smart? Not super smart. But it's doable. Did the fish live successfully in it? Yes. No deaths from fights or other causes. Everything was fine. You're below the recommended tank size, but you can still DO it. Others will disagree with me but I can assure you that in a 3 foot tank you can do a small breeding group of demasoni or saulosi. Try to keep it to 7 (2m 5f). It WILL be slightly cramped, but that's no reason not to do it. The fish will be fine and will even spawn for you.

Another fish that'll definitely work (but they're Tanganyikan) is Brichardi cichlids. You could get a small colony of those. They school. Pretty awesome fish. That fits in a 33 gallon no problem.

Yet another option is shell-dwellers. They fit in a 33 gallon no problem, but you may not like their look. Their behaviour is very fun to watch.

And yet another option is a community tank WITH cichlids. In a 33 you could put 1 angelfish, a pair of bolivian rams, and a school of whatever small tetra/barb/danio/pencilfish/etc you like.

Having owned everything on this list I would say that the most interesting things to watch are going to be either the brichardi or the shelldwellers.

Pseudotropheus_saulosi.jpg

Demasoni9755.jpg

Neolamprologus_brichardi_young.jpg

200px-Lamprologus_ocellatus_orange_2034.jpg

0001-PTEROPHYLLUM%20SCALARE-Silver%20Angelfish.jpg

art_breed_micro01.jpg

You are very misinformed about mbuna

There's a 33L that's 4 feet long. It's the same length and width as a 55g but only a foot tall.

There's a 33L that's 4 feet long. It's the same length and width as a 55g but only a foot tall.

Why don't you just get a 55G? The extra height and extra volume of water help with stocking choices.

You seriously would best fulfill your own wishes here with a 55G tank. Then you could keep an interesting group of Mbuna. Maybe a group of Yellow Labs and 2 of the smaller male peacocks for a splash of blue or red.

There are other options too that we haven't looked at.
orange%20goby.jpg

+
neon.jpg

for example.

That was one of my favourite tanks- Tang gobies with paracyps.

Good suggestion but I believe he already bought the tank.

I got 33G from a friend for 30 $. It came with a heater a filter and canopy. It is 3ft long not 4ft. sorry if I didnt make that clear. It was such a good deal I had to get it lol.

The convicts would I have to upgrade to a bigger tank? If so how soon from juvenile age? And would I just get two convicts?

Convicts would be perfect for a 30 gallon. I actually suggested them but then edited it out when you said you wanted bold colors. I have never owned them but people who have them absolutely love them. No upgrade needed for just 2, get a few juvies 5 or 6 and wait for a pair to form then sell of the rest. The pair will do fine in the 30 and then you can sell off the fry or give to friends.

They do breed allot so if you don't want to deal with babies then keep two female and sell off the other juvies.

New world cichlids are one of my favorites. Most have much better personality than mbuna IMO.

Convicts would be perfect for a 30 gallon. I actually suggested them but then edited it out when you said you wanted bold colors. I have never owned them but people who have them absolutely love them. No upgrade needed for just 2, get a few juvies 5 or 6 and wait for a pair to form then sell of the rest. The pair will do fine in the 30 and then you can sell off the fry or give to friends.

They do breed allot so if you don't want to deal with babies then keep two female and sell off the other juvies.

New world cichlids are one of my favorites. Most have much better personality than mbuna IMO.

It's not that they have a better personality, it's a different personality. Mbuna are just as interesting to watch as SA/CA cichlids are. I don't think SA/CA stuff has a better or more interesting personality. There's nothing convicts are going to do for you that something like yellow labs (which won't fit in a 33gal) wouldn't.

Do I have to buy 5 or 6 juvies if I dont want a mating pair? Or even if I do? I judt dont want to buy them all then not want to sell them after haha

Back
Top Bottom