beginner to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where I live we have to lfs and then like petsmart and petland. The one lfs that I goto is great on problem is the ordering situation. And the second lfs were very rude to me my first yime there. Literally telling me to leave if I wasnt buying fish today. I was just looking to see what kind of tank id like to set up, fully planning to buy when my cycle was done. So I havent been back since. Besides that the next closest town that has one by my knowledge is 3 hours away :S wouldnt a three hour drive in november be unsafe for the fish?

I am in the same boat as you its frustrating. Some of thes e guys have 10 to 20 LFS with in driving distances and they have local clubs and stuff. I am totally jealous. You are making the right move staying away from the store that was rude you are going to get nothing from them but problems.

So if we haven't confused you enough I would like to know what you are leaning towards so we might be able to help.

I think we (or at least I) were trying to keep recommendations to commonly kept commonly found species. The op stated he was a university student so I may have wrongly assumed this meaning a tight budget. He also doesn't like to order online. He is new to this so keeping to more commonly kept fish keeps confusion to a minimum. Also help gain experience for more advanced fish in the future.

I am a university student so I do have a budget not super tight but I cant toss in any amount right now lol. The online thing is more so im worried ill get problems like I did with my lfs. And ive heard that up here un canada shipping charge on fish is crazy expensive. Correct me if im wrong

Where I live we have to lfs and then like petsmart and petland. The one lfs that I goto is great on problem is the ordering situation. And the second lfs were very rude to me my first yime there. Literally telling me to leave if I wasnt buying fish today. I was just looking to see what kind of tank id like to set up, fully planning to buy when my cycle was done. So I havent been back since. Besides that the next closest town that has one by my knowledge is 3 hours away :S wouldnt a three hour drive in november be unsafe for the fish?

Not that big of a deal, really, just bring a cooler to put the fish bags in and run the heater in your car if it's cold.

You will have a lot more options (and often get the fish at a comparable price, if not cheaper than lfs) if you will consider ordering online. I've shipped hundreds of boxes of fish year round (and had many shipped to me), and if the shipper knows how to pack a box of fish it is highly unlikely you will have any problems. Checking sellers' feedback on Aquabid will give you a good idea of whether or not they know how to pack a box.

*edit* just saw that you were in Canada. That does complicate things, but some Aquabid sellers do ship to Canada. I ship only within the contiguous US so I can't comment on shipping to Canada.

He stated before he was looking for bolder colors Multies wouldn't really fit that.

On account that the OP said they were looking to get multies originally, I believe they do fit the bill.

I posted less common species simply to prove the point that there ARE options out there. I can provide many species commonly available that can wow just as much. And what's commonly available to me, may not be to you. It's all about perspective. I can go to my LFS and pick up true amphilophus trimaculatus, where as most can hardly find them (and I mean pure, no flowerhorn blood).

Not that big of a deal, really, just bring a cooler to put the fish bags in and run the heater in your car if it's cold.

You will have a lot more options (and often get the fish at a comparable price, if not cheaper than lfs) if you will consider ordering online. I've shipped hundreds of boxes of fish year round (and had many shipped to me), and if the shipper knows how to pack a box of fish it is highly unlikely you will have any problems. Checking sellers' feedback on Aquabid will give you a good idea of whether or not they know how to pack a box.

I 100% agree. I don't normally order online, due to having a fantastic LFS, but I have ordered from a guy before, my krobia xinguensis actually.

*Just saw your edit severum, that does make things a bit more tricky, but definitely not impossible

He stated before he was looking for bolder colors Multies wouldn't really fit that.

I am not against not bold fish (if that makes sense) I was just saying thats what I liked about the mbunas. Yes id like to see more colors in my tank but im not stuck on it. Sorry if im being confusing :S. I was thinking of looking into the convicts.

I was looking into convicts but at the moment my lfs only has sdults for sale. Ive heatd its dangerous to get them when they are older because it can cause more aggression in the tank Instead of them being jeuvies and growing together.

On account that the OP said they were looking to get multies originally, I believe they do fit the bill.

I posted less common species simply to prove the point that there ARE options out there. I can provide many species commonly available that can wow just as much. And what's commonly available to me, may not be to you. It's all about perspective. I can go to my LFS and pick up true amphilophus trimaculatus, where as most can hardly find them (and I mean pure, no flowerhorn blood).

Sorry missed the post where he mentioned that. This thread is getting way to confusing LOL.

I am not against not bold fish (if that makes sense) I was just saying thats what I liked about the mbunas. Yes id like to see more colors in my tank but im not stuck on it. Sorry if im being confusing :S. I was thinking of looking into the convicts.

Convicts can be a good starting point, however, due to their availability, once they start breeding, finding homes for the fry is next to impossible. That's why I recommend going with one of their cousins, like amatitlania sp. "Honduran Red Point", commonly called a Honduran Red Point, or HRP. Much calmer and still can be found, although not exceedingly common.
31128_400wh.jpg

More available cousins are cryptoheros sajica and cutteri, the T bar and the Blue eyed cichlids, respectively. (ignore the "archocentrus"...they've since been reclassified into cryptoheros)
sajica_pair_jeff_rapps.jpg

attachment.php

And then there's also archocentrus multispinosa, or the rainbow cichlid, another good alternative to a convict thats still commonly available
herotilapia_multispinosa.jpg

Again, photos are not mine

I was looking into convicts but at the moment my lfs only has sdults for sale. Ive heatd its dangerous to get them when they are older because it can cause more aggression in the tank Instead of them being jeuvies and growing together.

Not always true, but can be from time to time. Aggression is a complex behavior, with many factors playing into the levels, such as species, tank size, tank stock, diet, and the individual fish.

My 2 cents is go with the convicts they seem to fit the bill of what you are looking for or for fun go with one of the more rare collection points like freakgecko suggested many lfs will order for you.

Tell the store what you want. Then get the tank set up and ready and cycling. convicts are easy enough to find so in a week or two you should have them.

Convicts can be a good starting point, however, due to their availability, once they start breeding, finding homes for the fry is next to impossible. That's why I recommend going with one of their cousins, like amatitlania sp. "Honduran Red Point", commonly called a Honduran Red Point, or HRP. Much calmer and still can be found, although not exceedingly common.
31128_400wh.jpg

More available cousins are cryptoheros sajica and cutteri, the T bar and the Blue eyed cichlids, respectively. (ignore the "archocentrus"...they've since been reclassified into cryptoheros)
sajica_pair_jeff_rapps.jpg

attachment.php

And then there's also archocentrus multispinosa, or the rainbow cichlid, another good alternative to a convict thats still commonly available
herotilapia_multispinosa.jpg

Again, photos are not mine

With the convicts could i possibly get a female only tank?or would that be bad idea? I think we have finally narrowed it down to a fish guys! haha i really like the convicts. my lfs has a sign saying they will take any fish off peoples hands. (for free im assuming) but im not in this hobby for making money I just love fish!

Aquabid has some different convicts for sale now platinums, gold, HRP. I know you said you were nervouse aobut buying online but aquabid is pretty commonly used so it is generally safe.

AquaBid.com: Advanced Search

With the convicts could i possibly get a female only tank?or would that be bad idea? I think we have finally narrowed it down to a fish guys! haha i really like the convicts. my lfs has a sign saying they will take any fish off peoples hands. (for free im assuming) but im not in this hobby for making money I just love fish!

About time hahaha just kidding. Yes a female only tank is fine. Sexing juvies is difficult so you will have to get a group and pick out the males as they grow.

Aquabid has some different convicts for sale now platinums, gold, HRP. I know you said you were nervouse aobut buying online but aquabid is pretty commonly used so it is generally safe.

AquaBid.com: Advanced Search

i looked there yesterday but none of them ship to canada :S or at least i assumed they didnt because of the american flag lol

Female cons can be just as nasty as the males. I had one female kill another in a 75 gallon tank... I wouldn't recommend a female only tank.

About time hahaha just kidding. Yes a female only tank is fine. Sexing juvies is difficult so you will have to get a group and pick out the males as they grow.
Just to clarify, HRP are NOT convicts, they are an unnamed species, currently labels as amatitlania sp. honduran red point, where as convicts are amatitlania nigrofasciata.

I wouldnt be surprised if many of you celebrated hahah I did. I didnt mean to be too picky lol just wanted the fish that as right for me! but ill post pics of my tank once its set up. Today i was going to set up the tank and hopefully start cycling!

Just to clarify, HRP are NOT convicts, they are an unnamed species, currently labels as amatitlania sp. honduran red point, where as convicts are amatitlania nigrofasciata.

I didn't know that all this time I thought they were a type of convict. But they are from the same family.

Convicts in general can be a bit nasty, hence why I offered up the species that I did, all known to be much more mild mannered than your typical nigrofasciata

Back
Top Bottom