beginner to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldnt be surprised if many of you celebrated hahah I did. I didnt mean to be too picky lol just wanted the fish that as right for me! but ill post pics of my tank once its set up. Today i was going to set up the tank and hopefully start cycling!

I was totally joking, its all good. Love to see pics of the tank when you are all set up.

That will work. Some people choose to add additional filtration by adding a second HOB filter. I think its beneficial but not necessary. I tend to over filter by having filters made for a 75 on my 50's and filters made for 100-120 on my 75's but that is just personal preference I got one tank size up. Your 30 is fine.

I would buy a new filter, and I would personally suggest an aquaclear 50 or possibly even a 70. On my 75, I use two AC 110's, I prefer to over filter, plus it's more room to store filter media, in case you start up another tank and want to seed it with media ;)

Without hesitation I would choose the aquaclear 70 over the aquaclear 50 for a 30 gallon tank.

I used to use aquaclear and marineland but 6 months ago I got a Aqueon Powerfilter Quiet Flow. I cant say enough good things about it, I love it. But second to that I would go Aquaclear. I am never buying marineland again the motors burn out to quick. The Quiet flow 50 would be great for your tank.

Okay guys so I got it all filled up! Just have to start the cycle which im about to do! What do you think? I know its not much or the nicest tank out there but some constructive critism for the aquascaping would be very much appreciated! Just dont be too mean lol. I might change it ip still idk waiting for paycheck this weekend to maybe buy better cave or ornaments if you guys think id need to lol. I was also thinking of changing the light to a more bluish one. Good idea or bad? Thanks!

ForumRunner_20131114_150236.jpg

ForumRunner_20131114_150245.jpg

I would try and add some plants that are tall and drift wood to break up line of site. Cichlids like to set up territories. But then again people something get the off ones that swim around together like my JDs do.

When you get the money I would get a submersible heater. I have broken to many of the heaters you have now by doing water changes and forgetting to unplug them or plug them back in to soon. I am just forgetful like that.

I was planning on getting something for the middle just couldnt find a good one where I went. So this weekend ill probably go back out. Will adding that stuff disrupt my cycle? Or should I wait to start it till after I buy it?

Nope cycle is caused by adding waste or bacteria. Adding fake plants or decor wont affect a cycle at all. I think people put to much stock in cycling. Those who are old school kept tanks for 20 or more years before anyone even mentioned cycling. People just used the method start slow and don't pack a tank to quickly. If you are adding a few convicts you aren't going to over load your tank.

People on here will probably kill me for making such a statement but oh well.

Brave words hahaha. Ill admit my first tank I didnt cycle bevause I didnt know better. But I just wanted to be safe with this tank lol so I bought a testing kit and was planning to do a fishless or take a dwarf gourami from my tank and plop him in.

Nope cycle is caused by adding waste or bacteria. Adding fake plants or decor wont affect a cycle at all. I think people put to much stock in cycling. Those who are old school kept tanks for 20 or more years before anyone even mentioned cycling. People just used the method start slow and don't pack a tank to quickly. If you are adding a few convicts you aren't going to over load your tank.

People on here will probably kill me for making such a statement but oh well.

Did you just suggest that he put convicts in his tank while cycling?:(

Brave words hahaha. Ill admit my first tank I didnt cycle bevause I didnt know better. But I just wanted to be safe with this tank lol so I bought a testing kit and was planning to do a fishless or take a dwarf gourami from my tank and plop him in.

Nice way to kill a dwarf gourami. ;). What you should do is take biomedia from your main tank, put it in the new tank's filter (lots of it), and get 1 or 2 very small fish to start your tank off. That's one way to start immediately with a small biofilter, which can support say 4" of fish, and you gradually build up stock from there as the biofilter builds. Shouldn't get any readable ammonia/nitrite if you do it that way.

Or just finish your fishless cycle. Shouldn't take more than another 3 weeks or so.

Although I agree with the suggestion for a media transfer cycle, inches of fish is irrelevant. Just move some media over and start slow. You could add a young female and do ok as long as you test your water and change water if necessary. Media transfer cycles are not always instant.

Okay I just switched over some media. So you suggest I should get a female? If so when asap? Or wait a certain amount of time?

First make sure your ammonia and nitrite in the tank are zero (if you've been adding an ammonia source which I believe you have?)
Then you can add a small volume of livestock.

I havent put it in yet I had to leave for work so all I got to is puttong in some old media and the water dechlorizer lol whatever its called. I was debating either doing a fishless cycle with ammonia or food. Or putting one of my fish in which I dont thibk itd die cause it worked last time before I knew about cycling he survived

Did you just suggest that he put convicts in his tank while cycling?:(

Yep fishless is cycling is the biggest waster of time. Talk to anyone that has been in the hobby a long time. Fish in cycling is a much better way to go.

Yep fishless is cycling is the biggest waster of time. Talk to anyone that has been in the hobby a long time. Fish in cycling is a much better way to go.

I've also was told this from a family friend who has a 200g tank in his basement lol. He has been keeping fish for many years and suggested I put my dwarf gourami in fot a week do a small water change then get my convicts. So I plopped in my dwarf and am going to see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom