Brian's(Old Scales)Rescape Journal "Yikes!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earth to OS! Get your hands off the cookie tray and take some pictures!( meant that in the nicest way)

LOL Hi Guys! Sorry I haven't posted yet. My bride, Donna, is hosting the weekly, Friday night Majong party for her friends this evening. Yeah, A Real Hen Party! She's had me cleaning and cooking for the last two days so all would be great for her guests. They're in the dining room playing now and I'm hiding out. I DO have these tank pics done on the Nikon for this week. I've got one before I trimmed plants and one after. Hopefully I'll get them posted tomorrow. Right now I have to be a helper host when called upon. LOL.
Brian.

What a good husband!! Was looking forward to the Friday pic tho.
Enjoy your evening...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I forgot about your guests. I hope you have your apron on(and some warm clothes underneath!!). Hens and their wine:hide::hide:

LOL Hi Guys! Sorry I haven't posted yet. My bride, Donna, is hosting the weekly, Friday night Majong party for her friends this evening. Yeah, A Real Hen Party! She's had me cleaning and cooking for the last two days so all would be great for her guests. They're in the dining room playing now and I'm hiding out. I DO have these tank pics done on the Nikon for this week. I've got one before I trimmed plants and one after. Hopefully I'll get them posted tomorrow. Right now I have to be a helper host when called upon. LOL.
Brian.

Haha. Sounds like the perfect time to prepare a submission for a new aquarium. You have free time with minimal supervision. Get a stamp pad and add some paw prints to a petition for a new tank. She can't argue against numbers and you can stage this coup while she is unaware ;)

Anyway looking forwards to the pics.

I just spent the better part of an hour and some reading through this thread. OS I have really enjoyed seeing the pictures and progress of your tank. The wife and I went and ordered a 20 gal long this evening for our first aquascaping project. I get to do most of the manual labour, she does the design. She likes the "small fish" Would you have any suggestions for a beginner going into a first build? Thanks so much, your far north neighbour's.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just spent the better part of an hour and some reading through this thread. OS I have really enjoyed seeing the pictures and progress of your tank. The wife and I went and ordered a 20 gal long this evening for our first aquascaping project. I get to do most of the manual labour, she does the design. She likes the "small fish" Would you have any suggestions for a beginner going into a first build? Thanks so much, your far north neighbour's.

Sounds the like the arrangement my GF and I had on our 60F tank. She designed it and I did all the labor! LOL.. welcome to the club :)

For small fish I would consider Neons and/or guppies(lots of colour). Maybe some juli corys and some snails(Nerite) as your 'cleaning crew'.....

For small fish I would consider Neons and/or guppies(lots of colour). Maybe some juli corys and some snails(Nerite) as your 'cleaning crew'.....
neons and cardinals IMO always look great in a lush green tanks, a massive school of celestial pearl danios/galaxy danios would be cool as well. Deaf cities such as habrosus are great for a 20 because their small enough to have 6-8 and they're a blast to watch, literally! Like little rockets:)

Thanks Ian, the wife will be happy hear about guppies as an option as she was eyeing them up at the LFS last night when we ordered the tank.

Brookster I agree with you on the neons and cardinals. I always liked that look as well.

Brookster.... Just trying to help here...'deaf cities', meaning Dwarf Cory s. :)

Week Five Progress Pictures

HI EVERYONE!
I'm finally settling down and getting the update pictures posted for you. The party last night went to 1am this morning. The gals(my wife's friends) were a lot of fun. I was the only man present so I got a lot of guff. But I gave back plenty too! The pictures I'm posting now are with my old camera BEFORE the WC and plant trim down. I wanted you to see how fast it all is growing and how high the Glosso gets before trimming down. As you can see, the L. Cuba on the left is massive. It has to be cut down by half and will be back like this in eight days. LOL. The little Bonsai "trees" are a little too tall for the look I want so the tallest ones will be trimmed down to match the others. I'll be trimming the Glosso back to half the height shown here. The AFTER pictures are with my Nikon in RAW mode. I'm post processing them in my new Lightroom program that I'm just learning. I keep messing the masters up so I start over. As soon as I learn even the basics I'll post the after pictures. Brian_Nano. I'll have to convert them to jpeg to post in here won't I?
I still am fighting green dust algae. I can't figure out what will stop it yet. I've got the light period down to 5 hrs and I raised the CO2 level a little more. I also have a mystery with my Nitrates! I tested right before the WC and it is at only 5 ppm. Weird! I have exactly the same fish as before which AqAdvisor says is 121% stocked. Before the rescape my NO3 would start at 10ppm and be at 30ppm after 7-8 days. With this new scape it's not raising above 5ppm still. I suspected the new NO3 test kit I bought was bad so I bought another. It showed the same level, 5 ppm. I'm "guessing" the new Eco fine is still absorbing NO3 and PO4 or the Glosso is a real nitrate user. That would be nice. But I wonder if part of my algae problem could be a too low NO3 to PO4 ratio. I like my NO3 to be about 10-15ppm for the plants. I guess time will tell. Here's the BEFORE trimming pictures:

Attachments

• DSCF1196.jpg
    DSCF1196.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF1198.jpg
    DSCF1198.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1199.jpg
    DSCF1199.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF1195.jpg
    DSCF1195.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 83
Hi Disastrous! Glad to meet you.
Thanks for joining in. Sorry you had to read so long.
I love guppies too. I love to watch the fry grow and color up. They may be cheap and common but they're still one of my favorites to have. The coolest companions to neon tetras IMO are rummy nose tetras. I have a school of 18 neons and when they group together tightly they are stunning.
To All..... This thread is getting really long. Should I keep going with it or let this one fade out and start a new update thread? Let me know what you would think would be better. Thanks all, Brian(OS).

"We built deaf cities... On rock and rollllll" hey OS! Looks great! Is that a gourami up there? Where's the angel?? I think you should definitely keep this thread going! Anyone wanting to start a planted tank would benefit immensely from reading through.. a couple laughs along the way never hurt!

Last edited:
HI Brooks, how's your rescape doing?
Yeah, deaf cities cause we had the volume up as high as it would go. I remember "Boom Boxes" LOL

HI Brooks, how's your rescape doing? Yeah, deaf cities cause we had the volume up as high as it would go. I remember "Boom Boxes" LOL
haha 14 d batteries would get you an hour of REO speed wagon at full blast! I think it's going pretty good, I just drafted my custom seachem dosing calendar, feeling rather accomplished in that regard.. The plants... Well the plants are doing different things. My hygro has pretty much melted like evil t-1000 in terminator 2 but than again every plant I've gotten from the c02 display has done the same thing and come back tremendously..

Back
Top Bottom