Brian's(Old Scales)Rescape Journal "Yikes!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just knock on wood with me. It could happen though. I went ahead and moved it up to where the control knob and top are just out of the water after your comment. Thanks, OS.

Cool! Thanks JK.
I'll adjust until I get a true green in the drop checker. I have been just going to bluish green. I have it up to 2 1/2 BPS now. We'll see how that does. Thanks. How high does a nice carpet of Glosso get when normal? OS.

Ok scales.. Nap times over, I'm shocked no one called you on skipping our Friday pictures, my weekend was ruined.. Whenever you're ready my friend!

Ok scales.. Nap times over, I'm shocked no one called you on skipping our Friday pictures, my weekend was ruined.. Whenever you're ready my friend!

I would have but had a really busy weekend with my sisters birthday.

Yeah! We, your adoring fans, deserve some pictures!

Sorry Kitty for not posting an update yet. Will get pics taken, processed and posted this afternoon. Moss and Glosso still filling out well. I think I got the Green Dust Algae beat, I did a small change that I think will look better than my original plan. I'll show it in the pic and leave you with that teaser. OS.

So not fair....

What will happen to the green dust algae, will it survive the change???
How will the tank look now that SOMEthing has been changed, all this and more on the next episode of Old Scales new tank build!
Stay tuned...

Now a word from our sponsors! "Tired of that pesky algae?? Sick of unsightly build up on your glass? Well today is your lucky day!! For just 3 easy payments of 68.99 you could be algae free in just seconds flat!"

(Shipping and handling extra! No refunds! Doesn't actually do anything useful)

Week Six Update

LOL You guys crack me up!
As far as GDA goes, you NEVER get rid of it completely. It just hides and waits for you to slip up just a tiny bit so it can come back out, grab you, and then laugh its evil laugh as it covers your beautiful leaves! The stuff is EVIL!
I just did a plant trim down Friday with a WC. The 'Cuba was 5" below the water level. Look at it now. LOL The stuff goes crazy with CO2. The Glosso, seems to me, is growing taller than I think it should. It's carpeting well but also putting out pretty tall runners. ??? Maybe the 6 hrs only light period to fight algae is causing it to "reach". I not sure what to do to get it to stay short. I need some tips from you "Glosso growers" out there.
The "change" is that I took out the Red Nesaea as it looked terrible. Not growing and melty, algae covered old leaves. I took some of the new runners off my Crypt wendii from the 16g and put in its place at the back behind the DW. When it gets a little taller, I think the green leaves and different shape may look pretty good. Let me know what you think. Pictures were taken with Nikon D5300, 50mm F1.8, full auto in jpeg fine format. I'm still taking forever post processing RAW in Lightroom. (note to Brian_Nano, lol)
Take care all, Thanks and God bless for your interest. Brian(OS)

Attachments

• DSC_0205.jpg
    DSC_0205.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0200.jpg
    DSC_0200.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0202.jpg
    DSC_0202.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0204.jpg
    DSC_0204.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 117
Wow it looks great! If the Red Nesaea was dying, then it makes sense to replace it. The glosso does look a bit tall, but I've never grown glosso much before >.<

Looking mighty fine over there! I wish I could offer advice on the glosso, maybe give it some time to thicken up??

Does look like the Glosso is "reaching". I haven't grown it but regular plants trim the center, and needs a bit more light.

Also have you considered a Siesta break for the light? I would separate the time by 2-3 hours and start adding time. :)

Looking real good OS! Your red serpae tetras are super red. I have some in my 29g and they don't seem as red. What do you feed them? You have inspired me to start my own rescape journal, dont know when but hopefully soon.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those pictures look so professional, cara. With respect, much better that the other ones. They look HD, almost 3D. Like going from SD to HD. You know what that Glosso needs. A BML!!!

Last edited:
Thanks all. The Serpeas look extra red in that one pic because they were right under the 5000k Geiseman bulb which is a redder bulb than the other 3 bulbs at 6000k. My Quad T5HO Aquatic Life fixture is rated at 92 PAR at 18". That is supposed to be really high light. BY the old standard it's 3.8 watts per gallon. The bulbs are new(1 month) and the fixture is less than one year old so replacing it is not an option. I do have a glass versa top lid on it and it does cut down the PAR some. I wonder if I just didn't plant it deep enough? Looks like my spring scissors are going to get a work out. (mowing the grass) My built in timers on this fixture doesn't allow for split light times on all 4 bulbs.
OS.

Friday, Week 7 update.

Hi all.
I'm almost ashamed to post pictures as I haven't done my plant trim and clean up yet. Spring is finally arriving here and my Donna is into her flower beds and roses like I am into aquariums. So the better part of valor is for me to be helping her get caught up on the garden work. Other than popping in AA with my coffee, I've been spending my time in the yard and not on the tank. We'll be working in the yard all weekend so it looks like Monday for me to do my tank work. I'll post an "after cleaned" picture then.
I did some pics at different angles this time and a couple of feeble attempts at macro close ups. The Cuba is just huge. It would be an awesome plant in a really tall tank also. As you can see the Glosso carpet is really tall. But it IS spreading too. I'll just keep mowing it down and see if it starts to behave.
Take care all. See you around. Brian(OS)

Attachments

• DSC_0261.jpg
    DSC_0261.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0262.jpg
    DSC_0262.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0263.jpg
    DSC_0263.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0266.jpg
    DSC_0266.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 90
More pics - Close ups

One is the mini Fissedens and one is the regular. As you can see the regular hasn't smoothed out yet from planting. The little Bonsaii trees are loving the CO2 also. The last picture is just a teaser that spring is almost here! Yea! OS.

Attachments

• DSC_0269.jpg
    DSC_0269.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0270.jpg
    DSC_0270.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0268.jpg
    DSC_0268.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Bellaroma Roses 003.jpg
    Bellaroma Roses 003.jpg