Cycling a new tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yo. I shook the bottle till my arms wouldn't work anymore. An then the tube for another minute and it's definitely not as dark but its still around the 80 mark? What do you think is happe ing here. Could the seeding filter I got have done this?

I'd give it a few more days, keep adding ammo, and once the no2 has been high for a while...do a large pwc to knock it down. You might also try leaving a glass of tap water out for 24 hours and testing the pH after to see if it rises up to 8.8 on it's own. That's definitely a bit high.

eco23 said:
I'd give it a few more days, keep adding ammo, and once the no2 has been high for a while...do a large pwc to knock it down. You might also try leaving a glass of tap water out for 24 hours and testing the pH after to see if it rises up to 8.8 on it's own. That's definitely a bit high.

Ok that sounds perfect. Thanks for that help I'll try it out over the next 3 or 4 days. :)

Steo the great said:
Ok that sounds perfect. Thanks for that help I'll try it out over the next 3 or 4 days. :)

Hey just an update on my original tank. I topped the ammo back to 4 yesterday and just checked the levels,
Ammo-.25
NitrIte-5
NitrAte-100
So everything else still very high just waiting for the nitrIte to lower now?

Help

Hi I am looking to purchase a fish tank for 2 goldfish but i would like a tank that could change to a tropical fish tank usage as i also plan to make a pond for the goldfish at a later date. So i have looked so far at the Fluval Chi and the bi orb life which are both pleasing on the eye but which is better?? Or is there another that would be more recommended? Also what should i use and do with the tank/water before getting and putting the fish in?

I love some of the Marina fish but the tanks for those are way too big for my house!!

Thanks

Daleous said:
Hi I am looking to purchase a fish tank for 2 goldfish but i would like a tank that could change to a tropical fish tank usage as i also plan to make a pond for the goldfish at a later date. So i have looked so far at the Fluval Chi and the bi orb life which are both pleasing on the eye but which is better?? Or is there another that would be more recommended? Also what should i use and do with the tank/water before getting and putting the fish in?

I love some of the Marina fish but the tanks for those are way too big for my house!!

Thanks

I've actually just seen a post which said a goldfish needs at least a 20gallon tank and 10g for every goldfish after so I think u'll need at least a 30g, which IMO is a nice size tank to turn into a tropical tank. I think if u were to start up your own thread you'll get a lot more answers :)

Hey again just tested after 24 of dosing my ammo up to 4 and it reduced again to zero but my nitrites are still at 5. Should I just keep on dosing in the ammo till this drops

Yep. Keep dosing it up every 24 hours any time it drops.

I'd give it a few more days, then do a really big water change to reduce the no2 down to .5-1. But again, you don't have to worry about that for a few days.

The most important things to do are keep adding ammonia, and keep a sharp on on pH. If your pH starts dropping, do a pwc to restore the natural value of the tap water. Everything looks good :)

eco23 said:
Yep. Keep dosing it up every 24 hours any time it drops.

I'd give it a few more days, then do a really big water change to reduce the no2 down to .5-1. But again, you don't have to worry about that for a few days.

The most important things to do are keep adding ammonia, and keep a sharp on on pH. If your pH starts dropping, do a pwc to restore the natural value of the tap water. Everything looks good :)

Ok sounds good to me I'll keep topping it up. And wait it out another few days then do the water change? Thanks again.

Steo the great said:
Ok sounds good to me I'll keep topping it up. And wait it out another few days then do the water change? Thanks again.

Hey. I've been topping the ammo up most days and it had been dropping to .25 in 24 hours but then the last 2-3 day it was only dropping to about 1-2 in 24 hours. Nitrite is still 5 and nitrate has dropped to about 40-80.

Steo the great said:
Hey. I've been topping the ammo up most days and it had been dropping to .25 in 24 hours but then the last 2-3 day it was only dropping to about 1-2 in 24 hours. Nitrite is still 5 and nitrate has dropped to about 40-80.

What's the pH in the tank compared to the tap water?

Steo the great said:
Tap water is about 8.0 and the tank water is a bright purple so it's off the chart bout 9.0 I recon.

Umm...wow. Usually it's low pH that causes a problem, but I assume an extremely high pH could be an issue as well. Are you using the API High Range test? Otherwise, remind me how you're testing? Also double check your brand of ammonia. I've seen some impure ones cause high pH levels.

eco23 said:
Umm...wow. Usually it's low pH that causes a problem, but I assume an extremely high pH could be an issue as well. Are you using the API High Range test? Otherwise, remind me how you're testing? Also double check your brand of ammonia. I've seen some impure ones cause high pH levels.

Yeah I'm using the api high range one. An it's bright purple it's like the nitrite test result to be honest. Will I just do a water change just to see. Im on day 14 now? Not including the 7 I had without the decholrine added.

Steo the great said:
Yeah I'm using the api high range one. An it's bright purple it's like the nitrite test result to be honest. Will I just do a water change just to see. Im on day 14 now? Not including the 7 I had without the decholrine added.

So basically on day 7, lol. The water change isn't a bad idea, and also try leaving a glass of tap water out overnight and see if it changes in pH level.

eco23 said:
So basically on day 7, lol. The water change isn't a bad idea, and also try leaving a glass of tap water out overnight and see if it changes in pH level.

No 21 including the other days hahaha. Ok I'll leave out water tonight and I'll change the water tomorrow. If the ammo only drop to say 1-2 from 4 should I still top it back to 4 every day or wait till it reaches 0.

eco23 said:
I'd vote to keep dosing it up every 24 hrs. Let's make that bio-filter strong!

Cool I'll keep it going so then it can help my new one with it's beautiful healing power lol :)

Back
Top Bottom