Cycling a new tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey I got a thing called tonic salts but I reckon it's everyday aquarium salts. Does this sound ok.

I'm not much help there man. I've heard you can use kosher salt...but I'm not sure about other types. Only one I've used is the stuff sold specifically for aquariums.

Yeah it is for aquariums. Says it's good for treatment of fungus and other dieases. And should I change the water everyday while doing this?

eco23 said:
I'm not much help there man. I've heard you can use kosher salt...but I'm not sure about other types. Only one I've used is the stuff sold specifically for aquariums.

Hey Eco or library girl I'm thinking of setting up a new tank it's gonna be a 76 gallon tank and I was thinking of putting in cichlids.
What do you guys think and what difference. Maintenance wise is there?
Thanks

Steo the great said:
Hey Eco or library girl I'm thinking of setting up a new tank it's gonna be a 76 gallon tank and I was thinking of putting in cichlids.
Thanks

Sorry man, I don't know much about Cichlids other than the Dwarfs. From the little I do know I believe they're all supposed to be from the same region and should be stocked intelligently to avoid any issues. I don't think there's much difference in the way of tank maintenance unless you're keeping delicate ones like Discus. They're awesome looking fish though. The best idea would be to do some reading up, pick some you're interested in, and post some potential ideas on the site. There's tons of people who are real knowledgeable and can definitely provide some great advice.

Glad things are going well :)

If you went to the Cichlid section and asked, I am sure some cichlid people like Hukit could give you some ideas on stocking and maintenance.

Thanks

I'm not going to be much help either, have never kept them. Here's a Google search that might help. And as Adadkins said there's a Cichlid forum on here where those experienced with them may be able to answer your questions. :)

Hey again ice recently turned my heater up to 32 and I checked my water today and my ammo was at 1 and nitrites at .25
Does anybody know of why this could happen thanks guys and gals.

Steo the great said:
Hey again ice recently turned my heater up to 32 and I checked my water today and my ammo was at 1 and nitrites at .25
Does anybody know of why this could happen thanks guys and gals.

Did you use any meds to treat the Ich? Many of them can damage your bio-filter.

No nothing only heat this time no salt or anything. And I've done 2 pwc of 25% in the last 2 days. For ich treatment. I might be over feeding but that could do that damage could it?

I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure. Have you added any new fish or cleaned/changed your filter media or anything in the tank? Just keep doing pwc to keep the ammonia and/or nitrite .25 or under until it sorts itself out. How's the Ich, is it gone?

librarygirl said:
I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure. Have you added any new fish or cleaned/changed your filter media or anything in the tank? Just keep doing pwc to keep the ammonia and/or nitrite .25 or under until it sorts itself out. How's the Ich, is it gone?

Hey when I was on holiday everything in my tank died. So I left the tank for another week And then added in new fish but they're in there a good while now and only noticed change last night.

And the ich is a new one so I have the temp up to 30 the last 2 days and tomorrow I'm gonna turn it back to 28 tomorrow and leave it a further 7 days then back to normal after that.

Steo the great said:
Hey when I was on holiday everything in my tank died. So I left the tank for another week And then added in new fish but they're in there a good while now and only noticed change last night.

And the ich is a new one so I have the temp up to 30 the last 2 days and tomorrow I'm gonna turn it back to 28 tomorrow and leave it a further 7 days then back to normal after that.

Hey I just found your tread. How's it going? So all your fish died, then you left the tank empty for a week? Did you add anything to feed your bacteria during that time? Maybe you had a bacteria die off in that time and now your having a mini cycle? Just a thought.

It has been found that Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4°C/85°F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30°C/86°F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32°C/89.5°F (Meyer, 1984), [1]

I copy and pasted this from the info I used.

Mumma.of.two said:
Hey I just found your tread. How's it going? So all your fish died, then you left the tank empty for a week? Did you add anything to feed your bacteria during that time? Maybe you had a bacteria die off in that time and now your having a mini cycle? Just a thought.

That's a great catch...I missed that part.

Steo, can you give us a time line of how everything went down after you finished cycling the tank? I'm a bit mixed up.

Mumma.of.two said:

Yeah when the fish died They were removed that day and then ammo was added during the empty stages. I also done a 90% water change when I got home to clean it up completely.

eco23 said:
That's a great catch...I missed that part.

Steo, can you give us a time line of how everything went down after you finished cycling the tank? I'm a bit mixed up.

Yeah so cycled my tank. Added in black phantoms (6) and after bout another week I added in 2 gourami and I think they might of had ich on them. So I turned up the tank to bout 28. But had to go on holidays had Ma brother feeding the tank one week later all fish had died all with ich. After they had died he added ammo in for the week till I got home.
Then I got home and did a 90% wc. Then waited another week while addin in ammo.
I then added 6 danios. And then another week after I added 1 angel fish. Again I waited a week and added 4 neon tetras.

Bout a week later got ich again but very early stages so turned heat up to 31.5 and Done pw for the last 3 days

Are you getting all your fish from the same source? If so it seems like they aren't the healthiest.

You may be overstocked; the angel fish needs a 20 gal tank minimum. At 54 liters your tank is only about 14 gallons. It could be the angel producing extra waste.

Here's a link on treating Ich: Freshwater Ich? Yuck!. You might want to add salt as well if the heat method alone didn't work the first time. ALso it takes a few weeks to treat; turning heat up for a couple of days won't do it. And you want to raise heat slowly, one degree every 12 hours until it reaches the temp to kill the ich.

librarygirl said:
Are you getting all your fish from the same source? If so it seems like they aren't the healthiest.

You may be overstocked; the angel fish needs a 20 gal tank minimum. At 54 liters your tank is only about 14 gallons. It could be the angel producing extra waste.

Here's a link on treating Ich: Freshwater Ich? Yuck!. You might want to add salt as well if the heat method alone didn't work the first time. ALso it takes a few weeks to treat; turning heat up for a couple of days won't do it. And you want to raise heat slowly, one degree every 12 hours until it reaches the temp to kill the ich.

Yeah I am I'm stopping after this.
Going to a new place. I have a new tank coming Sunday.

And last time I did use the salt so gonna leave it this time and see and yeah with the heat gonna leave it at 30 for another day then 28 for next 10 days and then check again.

And could one angel produce over 4 ppm of ammonia in a day?

Would too much food in a hot tank not decay very quickly maybe?

Back
Top Bottom