Cycling a new tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And so it begins again. Everything changed. Checked the water before doing anything and the ammo was 0. The added in 1 ml of ammo and it went up to 4-8 ppm. Everything else 0.

Attachments

• image-621983289.jpg
    image-621983289.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 48
Steo the great said:
And so it begins again. Everything changed. Checked the water before doing anything and the ammo was 0. The added in 1 ml of ammo and it went up to 4-8 ppm. Everything else 0.

Try to aim a little lower on the ammo. It's better to have it near 2 as opposed to 8. If it's too high it can make for a slow start. If you aim too low, we can always bump it up later.

eco23 said:
Try to aim a little lower on the ammo. It's better to have it near 2 as opposed to 8. If it's too high it can make for a slow start. If you aim too low, we can always bump it up later.

I know I thought I was putting in the smallest possible amount. It's looks like 4 though. But just don't ve sure with them charts

Best of luck with your cycling!
Step 1: Hate Green
Step 2: Hate Purple
Step 3: Pray for Orange
Step 4: LOVE Yellow
Step 5: LOVE Blue
Step 6: LOVE FISH!

Flash081 said:

I think I've heard that before :). You're just missing the hate blue part at the beginning, lol.

Flash081 said:

Awesome!! I'm at the hate purple and praying for red

Finally something is happening. Checked yesterday and ny ammo had fallen to .25 so I dosed it back up to 2 and then check nitrites. And they were up to 5. So stuff is finally happening. Whoo. Lol

Steo the great said:
Finally something is happening. Checked yesterday and ny ammo had fallen to .25 so I dosed it back up to 2 and then check nitrites. And they were up to 5. So stuff is finally happening. Whoo. Lol

The party is gettin started!!! :)

Thanks!
I've just got home and I said I'll test out the nitrates expecting none an there up to about 100-160 ppm. What should I do now?

Steo the great said:
Thanks!
I've just got home and I said I'll test out the nitrates expecting none an there up to about 100-160 ppm. What should I do now?

What are your full parameters (ammo, no2, no3, pH)? How much ammonia is it dropping in 24 hours? You're certain you're doing the nitrAte test correctly? Shaking the #2 bottle for 30 seconds, the entire tube for one minute, let it sit 5 minutes and record? It seems a bit quick to have that level of no3.

eco23 said:
What are your full parameters (ammo, no2, no3, pH)? How much ammonia is it dropping in 24 hours? You're certain you're doing the nitrAte test correctly? Shaking the #2 bottle for 30 seconds, the entire tube for one minute, let it sit 5 minutes and record? It seems a bit quick to have that level of no3.

I didn't shake the second bottle for 30 seconds. But I've left it for 5 minutes and i put some more ammo back in a second ago so I'll retest in twenty minutes. And all the results were, ammo-0.25-.50 nitrites-5 nitrates-100-160

Cool. I think the nitrAte test is off so. The #2 solution solidifies, and you've got to shake the heck out of it for 30 seconds, then shake the entire tube hard for a full minute.

If the #2 bottle crystallizes the issue will be not getting enough reaction chemical so it will read lower than what it really is, not the other way around. That's how I understand it anyway.

jetajockey said:
If the #2 bottle crystallizes the issue will be not getting enough reaction chemical so it will read lower than what it really is, not the other way around. That's how I understand it anyway.

I've heard of results all over the board high and low...never experimented myself. Makes sense though.

Back
Top Bottom