Cycling a new tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey I just done a 50 water change and ammo went to zero but my nitrite stayed at 5 should I remove another 50% or just wait it out again.

That's really your call (and a matter of debate recently). If you've already got the bucket out, you might as well drop it down to .5-1. If you're going to do it, I'd just drain it down almost to the gravel to get it as low as possible. Remember the dechlorinator! Otherwise just give it more time and you can worry about another big pwc at the middle or end of this week if things aren't dropping by then.

eco23 said:
That's really your call (and a matter of debate recently). If you've already got the bucket out, you might as well drop it down to .5-1. If you're going to do it, I'd just drain it down almost to the gravel to get it as low as possible. Remember the dechlorinator! Otherwise just give it more time and you can worry about another big pwc at the middle or end of this week if things aren't dropping by then.

Ok thanks. I'll leave it till next Sunday and keep going. Cause I've taken out 50%. And yes I added it in lol. Don't want to be doing that mistake again haha.

Checked ammo again today and it was up past 8 so I just drained the whole tank and put in fresh dechlorinated water back in.
And added in 1 ml of ammo. Hopefully things will be bcd to normal now?

Hey hey. Today I checked my levels and my nitrite and ammo had dropped completely to 0. What's my next step. Thanks guys.

Steo the great said:
Hey hey. Today I checked my levels and my nitrite and ammo had dropped completely to 0. What's my next step. Thanks guys.

Start dancing!!! lol :fish2::dance::fish2:

Also I'd top the ammonia back up to about 1-2ppm one last time just to make sure it has finished the cycle if all test are good tomorrow, your done! congrats! :)

Just thought I'd post a picture of some new family members.

Attachments

• image-4170580592.jpg
    image-4170580592.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 56
Hey again I just added a blue and red gourami looking well.
Thanks again for the help in getting me to this point

Hi. Found one of my fish floating today a day after adding the gourami's. And on closer look it looks like my tetras have small White dots on them. Is there something gone wrong here and what can I do. The gourami barely move either? Thanks

Hi. Found one of my fish floating today a day after adding the gourami's. And on closer look it looks like my tetras have small White dots on them. Is there something gone wrong here and what can I do. The gourami barely move either? Thanks

Oh no sorry about your fish. :( If it's small white dots that look like salt it's most likely Ich, a common fish disease. It's easily treated with heat and salt for a few weeks. This link should help: Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

librarygirl said:
Oh no sorry about your fish. :( If it's small white dots that look like salt it's most likely Ich, a common fish disease. It's easily treated with heat and salt for a few weeks. This link should help: Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

So should I raise the temp up to 87 will my fish be ok for that level of heat. And should I add salt in the water while the fish are also still in it?

Sorry to hear that man. Ich is easy enough to deal with, and the link Librarygirl gave you will help you right through it.

Raising the heat speeds the life cycle of the parasite (so it's not around as long), and the salt will dry the bugs out and kill them...as well as protecting the fish.

The fish will have no problem with the heat or salt, and they need to be in the tank in order to efficiently treat the Ich.

Just raise the temp slowly, don't suddenly crank it up all at once (you don't want to shock them) I'd only do a few degrees a day until you get to the temp you need.

And if the Gourami is just hiding...I'd leave him be. They definitely take time to come around.

Make sure you read over the guide Librarygirl linked...it'll definitely help you along.

eco23 said:
Sorry to hear that man. Ich is easy enough to deal with, and the link Librarygirl gave you will help you right through it.

Raising the heat speeds the life cycle of the parasite (so it's not around as long), and the salt will dry the bugs out and kill them...as well as protecting the fish.

The fish will have no problem with the heat or salt, and they need to be in the tank in order to efficiently treat the Ich.

Just raise the temp slowly, don't suddenly crank it up all at once (you don't want to shock them) I'd only do a few degrees a day until you get to the temp you need.

And if the Gourami is just hiding...I'd leave him be. They definitely take time to come around.

Make sure you read over the guide Librarygirl linked...it'll definitely help you along.

Cool and how much salt? I did read over it. Only problem is I'm only holidays tomorrow? So need alot of info for my brother to do it for me

Steo the great said:
Cool and how much salt? I did read over it. Only problem is I'm only holidays tomorrow? So need alot of info for my brother to do it for me

That I don't know. It should say on the bottle of aquarium salt. I believe you should slowly add the salt to the full treatment amount...just like you should slowly increase the heat. Don't do it all at once.

eco23 said:
That I don't know. It should say on the bottle of aquarium salt. I believe you should slowly add the salt to the full treatment amount...just like you should slowly increase the heat. Don't do it all at once.

Ok so is it just any aquarium salt or is it for the treatment of ich. And all my fish are swimming closer to the top now does that suggest anything. Cause before hand they were just around the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom