Evans 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can get those!? Never heard of them, just watched a video on YouTube... Unreal. So cool, I second the thread when you get it.

I highly doubt they will break a tank. sure they may physically have the striking power to do it, but it would have to be a perfect blow that hits the glass at just the right angle. if I ever decide to stop shoveling money into my 125 I am going to setup a tank for one. they are insane!

A friend of mine bought a massive peice of live rock from a guy on craigslist. After it was in his tank a few days he began losing fish. After he lost 6 fish we did a stakeout of the tank one night with just moonlights on. To our amazement there was a 10" monster mantis shrimp living inside that rock. We trapped him rather easily using a fish trap and my friend set up a tank just for it. These things are amazing creatures. Id like to have one someday.

My LFS had one recently. They had to keep it in a hamster ball in the display tank, I guess so it wouldnt break the glass tank. It was wicked cool looking!

Hey Evan what size tank are you gonna do for this awesome idea you have here. Also any particular type of mantis shrimp? Ive seen brownish ones and the peacocks before. The peacocks are so awesome looking...and i know you can get a good pic of it! Lol

Hey Evan what size tank are you gonna do for this awesome idea you have here. Also any particular type of mantis shrimp? Ive seen brownish ones and the peacocks before. The peacocks are so awesome looking...and i know you can get a good pic of it! Lol

Haha I have the shrimp already :)

I cycled a 12 gallon and was expecting to get smaller mantis but the guy who buys me my stuff saw the peacock and got it for me. I know some say it's to small of a tank, but most people keep them In sumps so I figure 12 gallons is fine for now. I may upgrade later down the road if I see problems.

Also, everyone is talking about tanks cracking and all but I'm not worried. I saw this thing go off and it wasn't strong enough to crack glass. Mine also seems to be pretty non aggressive and is only 4 in.

Anyways, shrimp is doing good! I have 2 crabs in the tank as food and he has only snapped at 1 and didn't even wound it. I will start a thread and take pics soon :)

Haha I have the shrimp already :)

I cycled a 12 gallon and was expecting to get smaller mantis but the guy who buys me my stuff saw the peacock and got it for me. I know some say it's to small of a tank, but most people keep them In sumps so I figure 12 gallons is fine for now. I may upgrade later down the road if I see problems.

Also, everyone is talking about tanks cracking and all but I'm not worried. I saw this thing go off and it wasn't strong enough to crack glass. Mine also seems to be pretty non aggressive and is only 4 in.

Anyways, shrimp is doing good! I have 2 crabs in the tank as food and he has only snapped at 1 and didn't even wound it. I will start a thread and take pics soon :)

Awesome! Looking foward to the pics!

Hey Evan , Your young yet wheres the picts , now if you were as old as me that would be different, remember no pict means it never happen :):):D:D

Hey Evan , Your young yet wheres the picts , now if you were as old as me that would be different, remember no pict means it never happen :):):D:D

Haha! I got some good pics last night so il post soon! :)

I think my mantis is a vegetarian :( or he's just not used to hunting. Hopefully hel get hungry soon

Back
Top Bottom