Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Asian Biotope Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got both, solid black would be my fav...i suppose that could be rotala rotundifolia? ? Maybe just an odd transitional phase? No offense...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got both, solid black would be my fav...i suppose that could be rotala rotundifolia? ? Maybe just an odd transitional phase? No offense...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha none taken. Yeah, I think it did go through a weird transitional phase. It got stunted and sent out bizarre side shoots. Its bad days are behind it.

I think a solid black background would look the best, especially since I'll be adding Harlequin Rasboras to my stock in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wish I had went ahead and painted mine black...a little water gets in between the background and the glass and its a pain to get clean....

I will be making my final aquascape plan soon. I've decided not to use the current driftwood that I have as the pieces are too big for my liking. That means that I can do one of the following three things: use only lava rock, use only driftwood, or use a combination of both. I think my Java Fern would look better attached to driftwood, so I'm leaning towards just using a type of driftwood. I'm going to purchase some at a fish store next week. Also note that I could use a different type of rock if I go for the combo route. Any other suggestions would be nice!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419629009.422616.jpg

This is my final aquascape plan. Hopefully it will look good!

I would try to imagine how plants grow and how trimming them encourages the shape of the groupings.

For instance your cyperus helfuri will grow up as its grasslike. The corkscrew val will also grow up straightish. The rotala rotund in the middle may be hard to trim to get a natural look between these other two straight growing plants

I would try to imagine how plants grow and how trimming them encourages the shape of the groupings.

For instance your cyperus helfuri will grow up as its grasslike. The corkscrew val will also grow up straightish. The rotala rotund in the middle may be hard to trim to get a natural look between these other two straight growing plants

Would it look better if I put the Rotala rotundifolia in a corner? Or maybe I could put the Cyperus in one corner, and the Corkscrew Val at the other one?

How about this? Would this layout have a more natural flow to it? I'm up for any suggestions. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419737297.448822.jpg

I replanted and separated my Cyperus helferi ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419820383.987004.jpg

I removed many dead leaves, and some Java Moss that was attached to the roots of the plant. Even when you think you've eliminated all the Java Moss in your tank, it still shows up in the oddest of ways.

I like the graduated blue background, I think looks nice with the greens and black/blackish substrate. Adds brightness. Black is alright, though I think can get too dark.

I like the graduated blue background, I think looks nice with the greens and black/blackish substrate. Adds brightness. Black is alright, though I think can get too dark.

I agree. That's probably what I'll go for. I think that my current background distracts from my plants too.

I like how you've got you cyperus helferi separated. I've got mine in a couple big clumps. It's improved exponentially with CO2 but it would probably be healthier if I spread it out a bit.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this tank evolves. Next year I'm going to be putting up a 75 gal and I think I want all Asian stuff inside. Definitely taking some notes...

I like how you've got you cyperus helferi separated. I've got mine in a couple big clumps. It's improved exponentially with CO2 but it would probably be healthier if I spread it out a bit.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this tank evolves. Next year I'm going to be putting up a 75 gal and I think I want all Asian stuff inside. Definitely taking some notes...

I'll be adding more plants and fish sometime this week, along with new hardscape. I'll be doing this before New Years Day. Haha, on that day I'll totally be focused on CFB. Other than that, I expect this tank to be fully grown and finished by summertime.

I'll be adding more plants and fish sometime this week, along with new hardscape. I'll be doing this before New Years Day. Haha, on that day I'll totally be focused on CFB. Other than that, I expect this tank to be fully grown and finished by summertime.

You and me both... Hoping my Alma Mater can pull it out against the big, bad Crimson Tide (that SEC speed though!). Go Bucks!

If there's one thing I've learned here, it's that a tank is never done haha. Jan. 23 you'll probably find something you want to change haha.

You and me both... Hoping my Alma Mater can pull it out against the big, bad Crimson Tide (that SEC speed though!). Go Bucks!

If there's one thing I've learned here, it's that a tank is never done haha. Jan. 23 you'll probably find something you want to change haha.

Nobody is really giving OSU a chance, which should fire them up even more. As a pure blooded Ohio State fan, I'll be hoping for the best. Go Bucks!

I just did some water parameter readings and I'm satisfied. My pH is actually acidic, which is something I've been trying to accomplish for a while.

pH: 6.6

Nitrate: Between 5.0 and 10.0 ppm (probably at 7.5 ppm)

Phosphate: Between 2.0 and 5.0 ppm (based on the shade, I'd say it is at 4.0 ppm)

CO2: light green; I adjusted the bubble counter to 3-4 bubbles per second so that I can try to accomplish the magic number of 30 ppm.

Where did you get the Phosphate test from? I have been looking at fish stores around me but haven't seen any.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom