Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Asian Biotope Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the crypt corner looks fine. It will fill out once the crypts put on more leaves and start sending out runners.
Blyxa would look nice to the left of the DW.
The kuhlies look natural in there. I like how this tank is progressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think the crypt corner looks fine. It will fill out once the crypts put on more leaves and start sending out runners.
Blyxa would look nice to the left of the DW.
The kuhlies look natural in there. I like how this tank is progressing.

Excellent! It is very entertaining to watch them eat bloodworms, especially since they are worm-like. I'll put some Blyxa next to the DW, and I'll shift the Rotala rotund. closer to the DW.

The Dwarf Honey Gourami are starting to become less shy, and I expect them to become more and more less shy as I add more plants and hardscape. Harlequin Rasboras will be the next addition to this tank.

Okay, I have an updated sketch of what my aquascape should look like. What plant would you guys put between Pogo erectus and Limnophila aromatica? This plant would roughly be in the center.

Ive put my pogo erectus alongside my limno aromatica

Okay. Maybe I could shift the Pogo to the middle, and put a plant like Hygrophila pinnatifida to the right of the Cyperus helferi. How does that sound?

Okay, I have an updated sketch of what my aquascape should look like. What plant would you guys put between Pogo erectus and Limnophila aromatica? This plant would roughly be in the center.

You are going to need a TON of Downoi to fill that foreground, Its a slow grower!

Petsmart tissue culture downoi did me very well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got about 12 small crowns out of mine. was about $8 if I remember correctly.

That's a decent number. Might require two packs for the layout. You want to give them ample spacing to allow the runners a chance to develop into new plants. I gave my Downoi about 1.25" spacing and looking back, that was not enough. This is 6 months of growth (I sold 3-4 of the larger plants):
RMsEEjt.png

Note: Not a TopFin PetSmart purchase but was similar in quantity

I got at least 30 small crowns, half made it a month, similar to fresh's.. they're growing very tightly, I've split and replanted a few times.. they're in a nice row hedge now.. I'll get some pics in the morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It seems like I'll get a deal with the Petsmart Downoi packs. The last two times I've went to Petsmart, they haven't had them, so I'll have to keep looking. I am trying to get a foreground that looks like this:

Of course, I won't get my tank to be an exact replica of something that was produced by Tom Barr.

Hmmmm maybe i will try this as well. I have gone 0/2 with this plant...

Thought I'd share some tank photos:

It looks like I'll only have room for two more background plants, so those plants will be Pogo erectus and Limnophila aromatica.

How often do you see those kuhlies?
I have been thinking of getting either kuhlies or peppered corys for a while now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How often do you see those kuhlies?
I have been thinking of getting either kuhlies or peppered corys for a while now.

I see them out in the open occasionally. They come out more as they get used to their new surroundings. They are more of a night dwelling fish, but I usually spot them in groups in my patches of Cryptocoryne. They love those plants! They'll come out during feelings too. I had Peppered Cories once, and I favor the Kuhlies over the Cories.

Do you have to feed the kuhlies anything special?

Not really. I just feed them some sinking wafers that are for bottom feeders. At times, I feed them live and freeze dried bloodworms.

Ok, i have some sinking pellets that I can add once the light goes out. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom