Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Asian Biotope Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where did you get the Phosphate test from? I have been looking at fish stores around me but haven't seen any.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually got mine from a fish store, but they should be available on many online pet shops and Amazon.com as Brookster suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Today, I'll be planting my tank up (for the most part; I know I won't be able to find all the plants that I want). I'll be adding hardscape tomorrow. Some new fish just might be swimming in my tank today too haha!

Do you have a shopping list of which plant to get where?
It may have been mentioned before but if you get the hardscape in first, you will be able to tweak and adjust it to get it just right. More difficult to do with plants in place. Just a suggestion.

Do you have a shopping list of which plant to get where?
It may have been mentioned before but if you get the hardscape in first, you will be able to tweak and adjust it to get it just right. More difficult to do with plants in place. Just a suggestion.

I do. I plan on actually letting my plants float first, and some of the plants that I'll be getting come in those gel packs.

I'm going to try Pogostemon stellatus as my focal point plant, but I'm going to get the broad leaf variety as it seems to be easier to take care of. My background will be composed of the following plants from left to right: Cyperus helferi, Rotala wallichii, Pogostemon stellatus 'broad leaf', Pogostemon erectus, Rotala rotundifolia, driftwood w/ Java Fern.

I got some Kuhli Loaches and 2 Dwarf Honey Gourami ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419974964.648593.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419975020.624283.jpg

I got some Crypts and a Crinum calamistratum plant (I know that it isn't Asian, but it would be my only non-Asian plant). I also got some cool driftwood. I'll post pictures throughout the next two days. I'm always having trouble finding certain plants, so I might start posting ads on here for plants. I know that many people on this forum are reliable salespeople when it comes to aquatic plants.

My new driftwood is sweet, but I'm trying to think of a way to position it. Java Fern will be attached to it and Cryptocoryne undulata will be next to it.

What if you flipped it 180 degrees along the horizontal axis?? The branches would be sticking up to tie java to, and it looks like you would still have some space underneath for fish to swim through

That looks like you have more area to tie plants onto. The dw in my tank throws a big shadow under it, and I cant get anything to grow there.

That looks like you have more area to tie plants onto. The dw in my tank throws a big shadow under it, and I cant get anything to grow there.

I'll position Cryptocoryne in this area of the tank. They love the shade! I'm think some easy to grow Hygrophila (something to compete with algae) would work as the plant that would be behind the DW.

Never thought of using crypts in the shade...might have to try that

I'll position Cryptocoryne in this area of the tank. They love the shade! I'm think some easy to grow Hygrophila (something to compete with algae) would work as the plant that would be behind the DW.

Careful with the hygro, they can out compete other plants as well. Keep on the dosing and you should be a ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would upload a photo, but it says that I went over my quota. What could I do to post more pictures on this thread?

I use Photobucket. I just connect through Facebook. You have to click on the paperclip looking thing, and copy the bottom link.

I use Photobucket. I just connect through Facebook. You have to click on the paperclip looking thing, and copy the bottom link.

I have the mobile app. Once I figure out how to copy the links, I'll post some pictures.

I call this "crypt corner." Blyxa japonica and true Rotala indica (if I can find it) will round out the rest of the midground.

What plants would guys put next to the DW (to the left)? I'm hoping that once the Cryptocoryne grows in, it'll look more natural and flow well.

Back
Top Bottom