Fluval Flora Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I only got 2 tigers, but I got 4 mandarin shrimp. :)

And yes, acclimate shrimp very slowly. In SW i do 2hours at least for shrimp. Maybe overkill in FW though, not sure. lol

Bahahaha! It took me 3.5hours to acclimate my Otto catfish and cardinal! Only about 1 hour for shrimp though for some reason.

o crap! I used the floating method! I did this for 1 hour. Will they be okey?

Hubert90 said:
Bahahaha! It took me 3.5hours to acclimate my Otto catfish and cardinal! Only about 1 hour for shrimp though for some reason.

I acclimated my ottos way too fast lol. It seems however they've been hardened by their days at petsmart. I agree... Acclimate shrimp slowly. Not nearly as hardy.

Homedog98 said:
You should. Did you add tank water when you acclimated?

Yes I added tank water. Over the corse of the hour I just about doubled the amount of water they came in. I am upset at my self that I didn't accumulate them the right way!

fishfanatic said:
Yes I added tank water. Over the corse of the hour I just about doubled the amount of water they came in. I am upset at my self that I didn't accumulate them the right way!

I think they'll be ok. Just watch them closely. :)

Yes I added tank water. Over the corse of the hour I just about doubled the amount of water they came in. I am upset at myself that I didn't accumulate them the right way!

I did this same method with my RCS. As long as your water parameters are good, they should be fine.

Coleallensmom said:
I did this same method with my RCS. As long as your water parameters are good, they should be fine.

That is good to hear! I am going to test my water to make sure

Homedog98 said:
Sluggish-ness, death... Not shrimp-like behavior... I dunno... Just make sure they don't start dying. Lol.

This will be hard for me because I have only ever owned any shrimp except amano shrimp. Do they have the same behavior?

Last edited:
I am helping my mom right now so I can't test my water yet... but I will as soon as I can

Ammonia: 0 (possibly a little bit)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 8-10

Will this be okey? I don't want to do a pwc for a few days, I want the shrimp to have a chance to settle in before.

**Edit** also my drop checker reeds between 30-35 ppm co2

Last edited:
xxwolfpackof1xx said:
so many pages! gah congratz on the flora im thinking of getting one too. how much do you like yours?

I like mine a lot! I gave up on the co2 system that it came with (I made a 'T' in my current pressurized co2 set up). I also have 2 of the stock lights (it only comes with one). I also ordered and extra bag of the substrate (4.4 pounds). Other than that I think it is a good unit. It is my first rim less tank. One thing that I don't like about the rim less tank is that as the water level drops (evaporation) it leaves behind hard water spots (in a rimmed tank you would not see these)

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
im excited to get it at the end of summer so the co2 that comes with it is a no go?

To tell you to truth I was doing it wrong (the day I took it out of my tank I found a part on my floor that I forgot to put on the defuser) I think I will give the stock co2 system another go. But it seems silly to have a pressurized co2 system and still use the stock one. I don't think the stock co2 system is all junk, I think it will be very expensive in the long run (you go through on of those co2 cartridges every month). In the long run it will cost about the same to have co2 on my 40 gallon as it will in the flora. I think I figured about $80 a year of co2 on the Flora (I might be wrong)

ive never done co2 only have low light plants in my 15 i want to have a carpet effect of hair grass or tears so id probably need the co2 right?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
ive never done co2 only have low light plants in my 15 i want to have a carpet effect of hair grass or tears so id probably need the co2 right?

Co2 and an extra light would definitely help you achieve a carpet effect. I don't think you have to have co2 for all carpeting plants, but they generally require higher light which means you need to have co2 (to help with algae)

Back
Top Bottom