Log for cycling my new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep us updated on the progress since you've added the filter....I'd like to know how long before you see any changes. With my other (cursed) tank, I added one and overnight I saw a large drop in ammonia and nitrAtes showed up (skipped NitrItes) but then it stalled. But I think it was just something wrong with my tank. If this works for you and mine doesn't progress I may try another one of their filters. Good luck! Fingers crossed for you!

LOG: Day 8

VERY EXCITING! :dance:

First, the water has suddenly cleared up, a lot. :brows:

Second, there appears to be a big change in the ammon level! It looks to be between 1ppm and 2ppm. I'm not going to up the ammon today just in case this is a fluke. I was thinking I would wait until after tomorrows test. Playing it cool. :cool:

What do you guys think? :band:

JimmyA said:
Looking good!

Yes you are, I would dose it back up to 4 ppm.. The goal is to build a big strong bio filter. When all that ammonia is converted in 24 hours into nitrites and then nitrates, then you've built a Mountain sized bio filter.... keep it up

Well, I decided to wait until tonight to bring the ammon level back up. I tested before I left the house this morning and it didn't seem to have gotten any less than when I tested last night. I need to be very careful when I add the ammon this time around as the first time I put in WAY too much. I need an eye dropper.

Sometimes it's hard to find an eye dropper. I went to the drug store and just looked around for something in a small container that had an eye dropper.. I just poured out the solution and filled it with ammonia.

JimmyA said:
Sometimes it's hard to find an eye dropper. I went to the drug store and just looked around for something in a small container that had an eye dropper.. I just poured out the solution and filled it with ammonia.

Just make sure , double sure you don't mistake it for eye drops. Ask Eco about that one......

JimmyA said:

I found one near the childrens medicine at my drugstore.

I couldn't find a syringe so I use a turkey baster from WalMart. The drops are larger though so I just add a few at a time and then retest after 30 minutes, then I note how many drops I've added to get to a certain level so I know for next time (but I always test after adding the ammonia just to be sure I don't overdose).

Thanks for going to Walgreens. I have some stock in the company! LOL Actually I am happy you found some droppers.

Looking good. I'm not a major advocate of fishless cycling but at this point I would do a large water change to get the nitrates down to a readable level and then redose a small amount of ammonia to continue to build the colony.

Looking good. I'm not a major advocate of fishless cycling but at this point I would do a large water change to get the nitrates down to a readable level and then redose a small amount of ammonia to continue to build the colony.

Its the nitrites that are off the deep end. Shouldn't I leave them in there so the BB that convert them to nitrates have something to eat?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom