Log for cycling my new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd do some water change. Dose ammonia to about 3 ppm. Nitrite will go real high, check nitrate. Just don't get too worried. It's normal to have a nitrite spike. Let it ride for awhile.

Things are going great :)

I'd let it sit for a while personally. Give it 3-4 days and see if you have nitrAtes pop up before you touch it. If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it is my personal opinion.

Well I had already re-dosed the ammon before you guys replied so I'm going to leave it at least until I see what happens by tomorrow. Please keep an eye out for a post from me tomorrow, if you can. I might be in a panic and need advise from all of you. :D

zparticle said:
Well I had already re-dosed the ammon before you guys replied so I'm going to leave it at least until I see what happens by tomorrow. Please keep an eye out for a post from me tomorrow, if you can. I might be in a panic and need advise from all of you. :D

Sorry, yeah I meant keep dosing the ammo...just hold off on the pwc's.

You're going to be adding ammonia every 24 hours until the day before you add fish.

Last edited:
zparticle said:
That is exactly the right move! You are doing great.

LOG: Day 10 Am I Cycled????

Thanks! :)

Well guys this is looking very good. I just tested the tank again.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

Going to dose up the tank again with ammonia.

zparticle said:
LOG: Day 10 Am I Cycled????

Thanks! :)

Well guys this is looking very good. I just tested the tank again.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

Going to dose up the tank again with ammonia.

Your numbers look like it, but don't break out any champagne yet (just some beer for the 4th). I'd continue to add 4ppm every 24 hours for a while and see what the results are.

The seeded filters can be a big help, but what worries me a bit is the powdered bacteria you added. Remember jeta and I were concerned because it can give the appearance of a cycled tank although it has the potential to create a very unstable bio-filter (ask my buddy Deckape).

For the foreseeable future, I'd keep adding the ammo and see what it does. We want to be very cautious and thoroughly test the bio-filter to be 100% certain it's safe to add swimmers. :)

eco23 said:
Your numbers look like it, but don't break out any champagne yet (just some beer for the 4th). I'd continue to add 4ppm every 24 hours for a while and see what the results are.

The seeded filters can be a big help, but what worries me a bit is the powdered bacteria you added. Remember jeta and I were concerned because it can give the appearance of a cycled tank although it has the potential to create a very unstable bio-filter (ask my buddy Deckape).

For the foreseeable future, I'd keep adding the ammo and see what it does. We want to be very cautious and thoroughly test the bio-filter to be 100% certain it's safe to add swimmers. :)

Yea buddy, I thought I was cycled too. I used all those bacteria in a bottle. I lost over half my fish. I sincerely recommend doing just what Eco recommended. He drove down to give me some filter material from his own tank to get me squared away. Just to be sure.... It helps to have friends like him.

Woaa! 10 days is too soon! Hold on for the ride partner!

zparticle said:
Okay, I will test for a few more days then. I only added the powdered stuff twice, I think, so hopefully that isn't it. :hide:

Ok, I wasn't saying you did wrong, just sharing my debockle.

zparticle said:
Okay, I will test for a few more days then. I only added the powdered stuff twice, I think, so hopefully that isn't it. :hide:

I like your attitude! You will be great at this hobby

Well I'm being a bit selfish here, I don't want to get some fish and kill them and have to buy more. Also I'd rather not be constantly doing WCs in a panic to keep them alive. :cool:

zparticle said:
Well I'm being a bit selfish here, I don't want to get some fish and kill them and have to buy more. Also I'd rather not be constantly doing WCs in a panic to keep them alive. :cool:

That's smart too. Either way I like your attitude

LOG: Day 11 (12 hours after re-dosing the ammonia)

I was just curious to see what the tests looked like half way through a 24 period so I just tested again, here are the numbers:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 1-2ppm
Nitrates: off the chart

So the ammonia is getting converted completely within 12 hours. I'd guess when I test in another 12 hours the nitrites are going to be gone.

zparticle said:
LOG: Day 11 (12 hours after re-dosing the ammonia)

I was just curious to see what the tests looked like half way through a 24 period so I just tested again, here are the numbers:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 1-2ppm
Nitrates: off the chart

So the ammonia is getting converted completely within 12 hours. I'd guess when I test in another 12 hours the nitrites are going to be gone.

I would do a PWC just to get the nitrates to a readable level and prevent a stall and do it one more time...

Deckape said:
I would do a PWC just to get the nitrates to a readable level and prevent a stall and do it one more time...

That is after this test. You're doing great

eco23 said:
At the very least IMO.

Yea I didn't wanna be too bossy. We are just worried that the bottom of your cycle will fall out because of the additive.

Deckape said:
Yea I didn't wanna be too bossy. We are just worried that the bottom of your cycle will fall out because of the additive.

Agreed :). I'm not saying things aren't peachy and maybe you have one of the fastest fishless cycles in the history of AA, I'm just saying it was scary fast. I'm a super cautious OCD type person, and I'd test every day until next weekend before adding fish personally...but it's obviously your call and I understand the excitement :)

Back
Top Bottom