Max's 20g Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked the before.... :hide:

I feel like the only thing that needs to change with the new scape is the long and thin stone towards the middle. It fell over naturally a while ago and is a similar position to the large stone that I removed on the right. I might leave it like that.

I added (with much difficulty) a foggy window film background to it. I think it's good enough for the cost (only like $10 from ebay). Everything is ready to go, but I was just wanting to get some last thoughts on the layout before I plant and flood.

Option A
img_2791819_0_d7527fd23fb21a0db7ea89e63644f3b8.jpg

Option B
img_2791819_1_872212104abba4946e67e3c171c1b5f9.jpg

I don't have the exact plants I wanted, but I do have some nice ones that I will be fine with. The Apex is fixed (the display stopped working so I had to send it back to Neptune) and ready to roll. I still have to figure out how to calibrate the pH probe. It shouldn't be too complicated.

They both look amazing but I'd go with plan B

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They both look amazing but I'd go with plan B

I was thinking the same. In option A, the big rock in the middle covers up too much of the driftwood to the left of it.

I got a nice diffuser today. It was, of course from China. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the fact that there were no issues. I could not find any imperfections (I got 3 of them) at all. If anyone wants one, let me know- I still have 2 more :)

img_2794109_0_e547841535d42d258d84fb5fb7af5434.jpg

img_2794109_1_6aa546fbd52255e158ffcbe3d9bf164f.jpg

How much didd u buy them for?

How much didd u buy them for?

They were like $12 each plus shipping. American equivalent would have been $30+. It took about 2 weeks to get here, but the savings were worth the wait.

That's pretty good. I'm waiting for my nano diffuser currently

Sent from my VS930 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm waiting for some more goodies to arrive (should be Thursday) before I plant and flood. No boring dry start method this time! ;)
On a side note... Any suggestions for the pH range I should use in the Apex program? I guess it depends on what the pH in the tank (with Aquasoil, driftwood tannins and stones buffering it) will be.

Last edited:
With aquasoil, co2, and tap water, my ph hangs around 6.4. Just tested an hour before lights off. I think most aim for about that. I guess it can be fine tuned to what ph makes your drop checker the desired color, so some experimentation may be necessary. I'd aim for 6.4-6.6, though.

With aquasoil, co2, and tap water, my ph hangs around 6.4. Just tested an hour before lights off. I think most aim for about that. I guess it can be fine tuned to what ph makes your drop checker the desired color, so some experimentation may be necessary. I'd aim for 6.4-6.6, though.

But if the water is already at 6.4 and I set it to turn co2 on if pH is more than that, then it will never (or rarely) run because it is already at the desired pH. You're right, I will have to experiment. I don't even need a drop checker- pH probe for the win! :brows:

Drop checker tells you co2 saturation, it doesn't reflect ph of your tank water, so you'll still want to run it. That's why I said, set the ph program to say, 6.4, then see what color your drop check stays at. If it's lime green, then you're good to go. You ARE running 4dkh in your drop checkers, right?

Drop checker tells you co2 saturation, it doesn't reflect ph of your tank water, so you'll still want to run it. That's why I said, set the ph program to say, 6.4, then see what color your drop check stays at. If it's lime green, then you're good to go. You ARE running 4dkh in your drop checkers, right?

That's true. I was thinking I would just test the kH so I have a more definite answer. Then I can just use a chart (I will link one below) to estimate co2. A drop checker isn't that hard to set up, so it's not an issue. Yeah, I am using 4dkh.

co2chart-jpg.6334

KH vs pH charts aren't as accurate as a drop checker because, as you stated earlier, the aquasoil, driftwood, etc., are all buffering your tank water. With the 4dkh in your drop checker, you get a closer idea of co2 because it's a set dkh and the color change will always only be due to co2 change, without all those other factors/buffers like your tank water.

Today's the big day (assuming everything arrives as planned). :) I was playing with the Apex a few minutes ago and thought this graph was cool. It shows the relationship between temp and pH:

img_2802537_0_ccd1325396875e9399c48dfb16275817.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom