Pico of the Picos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a 1/2 gal what are you using as a filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's not set up yet or anything but I was planning on using live rock and sand and just relying on BB as my filter. It's too small to fit any kind of decent filter in it. However I plan on doing daily water changes so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

NatureFish
????

It's not set up yet or anything but I was planning on using live rock and sand and just relying on BB as my filter. It's too small to fit any kind of decent filter in it. However I plan on doing daily water changes so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

NatureFish
????

Ok. What's the dimensions on that tank?

A HOB. That tiny candle jar one holds a little filter. It IS pretty blurry but if you look closely at the FTS, it has a little one on it.

I might be going there this next week so I will take another pic If I do, and all the lfs that have SW always have a little counter top DT next to the register, usually with a Clownfish or other fish which doesn't belong. But the one guy said he switches the fish about every week.

Last edited:
Mine has these weird curves at the top so I don't think an HOB is going to work for this. I've seen 20 gal filterless so I should be able to do this filterless right? Hardly any waste will be produced since its just coral.

NatureFish
????

Also what coral should I pick for this? I was hoping to not go into colony corals like Zoanthids because of the tank's small size and since I really don't want to have to frag zoas (I hear its difficult especially with the risks of getting those toxins in you). I would like a single polyp type of coral or just some kind of easy to frag LPS. Soft corals are some of my favorites as well, but I just need help picking which one! So many gorgeous corals but only enough room for one!!!

NatureFish
????

It's set up now yay! Finally made the time to go get my LR and sand as well as some bacteria in a bottle. I really want starfish but I don't know what kind to get other than to just ask if I can have some asterinas from the LFS. Somebody suggested clown gobies but is my tank big enough for that? It's only 1/2 a gallon. Also, I just noticed the title and its now pico of the picos! I would have changed it to that myself but how do you do that?

NatureFish
????

It's set up now yay! Finally made the time to go get my LR and sand as well as some bacteria in a bottle. I really want starfish but I don't know what kind to get other than to just ask if I can have some asterinas from the LFS. Somebody suggested clown gobies but is my tank big enough for that? It's only 1/2 a gallon. Also, I just noticed the title and its now pico of the picos! I would have changed it to that myself but how do you do that?

NatureFish
????

Sorry to break it to you but the only thing that comes to mind is a starfish. And I'd be quite surprised if that lasts a month. IMO it's best suited to be a paper weight.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

NatureFish
????

You should have some age on the tank for the tiny starfish to eat. Any larger starfish would starve. They don't seem to do very well in a small system. No Clown Gobies. Changing titles is a moderator admin function.

So what could I put, just corals? I don't have a light and I'm not really wanting to go spend a ton on the light.

NatureFish
????

What's the easiest non-photosynthetic coral? It would be cool to watch them eat! If there aren't any easy ones is there any really easy soft corals or LPS and SPS?

NatureFish
????

What do I do when I leave for vacation?! Won't this need daily water changes? I'm leaving for four days.

NatureFish
????

Softies, LPS, and SPS all require some form of light and flow. As for non-photosynthetic, it escapes me right now. However, without flow, I think nothing. Pretty much a paper weight as I said before. Nice thought thou.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

You won't be able to keep nps in a tank this small, no way you'll keep water quality up with their feeding requirements. IMHO your not at a point where a sw tank is a feasible thing for you at this time.

You won't be able to keep nps in a tank this small, no way you'll keep water quality up with their feeding requirements. IMHO your not at a point where a sw tank is a feasible thing for you at this time.

Well I'm thinking about getting a 29 for Christmas we will see how that goes. The pico does have flow though. It actually has got some pretty good flow. The pump is very strong.

NatureFish
????

Well I'm thinking about getting a 29 for Christmas we will see how that goes. The pico does have flow though. It actually has got some pretty good flow. The pump is very strong.

NatureFish
????

Why is it not a good idea for me to get into SW? Is it just that my tank is too small?

NatureFish
????

Way too small. The air stone is going to cause issues, as the type of breaking of the surface water like that or any type of splashing will cause salt creep. This will lower salinity as the salt gathers. This salt can then fall back into the tank where it will burn corals and the gills of fish.

search for Dingusplease 's tank. he has a 3 gallon pico and its insane!

Thanks Matty :)

Nice macros Autumn! Tank is looking good 10g, cool goby!

Edit: Hi Naturefish, it sounds like you are doing research, and asking questions is always good in this hobby. But starting with a tiny tank may not be the best option for learning SW.

The most important (and most interesting to learn!) aspects of SW aquariums aren't as easily applied to ultra-pico reef keeping. The 29 biocube would work well, but I hope you also consider putting together a tank yourself, it's very rewarding. Good luck, and keep researching!

The corals are kind of faded right now, but new LED lights should be arriving any day now:

Last edited:
Way too small. The air stone is going to cause issues, as the type of breaking of the surface water like that or any type of splashing will cause salt creep. This will lower salinity as the salt gathers. This salt can then fall back into the tank where it will burn corals and the gills of fish.

Ok...so what do I do? Can I leave the air stone out and just leave it alone? I already have a few inhabitants... A fancy brittle star (hitchhiker) and some stony coral fragments (also hitchhikers)...

NatureFish
????

It's very discouraging to hear that this won't work.... :(
Oh well maybe ill get that biocube for x-mas and hopefully that will be low maintenance.

NatureFish
????

Ok...so what do I do? Can I leave the air stone out and just leave it alone? I already have a few inhabitants... A fancy brittle star (hitchhiker) and some stony coral fragments (also hitchhikers)...

NatureFish
????

Will the above be ok? ?

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom