Pico of the Picos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's very discouraging to hear that this won't work.... :(
Oh well maybe ill get that biocube for x-mas and hopefully that will be low maintenance.

NatureFish
????

Ok...so what do I do? Can I leave the air stone out and just leave it alone? I already have a few inhabitants... A fancy brittle star (hitchhiker) and some stony coral fragments (also hitchhikers)...

It may seem like an easier option, but tanks this small usually don't offer the options and benefits of a larger one. If you really would like to learn and put in the effort to partake in this great hobby, I would recommend doing as much research as possible and then starting with a medium sized tank and easier inhabitants.

As for this tank, you could keep the star and Sps fragments in a friend's or LFS tank until you get another tank set up.

You could try a 10, or something similar, or the biocube if that seems appealing. One thing I can say is that no reef tank will be particularly low maintenance, as these delicate marine creatures will require very specific conditions and careful attention.

Don't be discouraged! It sounds daunting, but when you get into it the work and time commitment become well worth the time spent admiring your tank inhabitants :).

My little 5G is the Aqueon 10W bulb somewhat x2 because I do add the other one to shine on it at times. $10. for the 50/50 10W compact cfl bulb and a little desk or architect light desk gooseneck or clamp on. I found mine at Habitat for humanity for $3. and later one for $2. though you can get a yard sale or thrift store or CL find for $5 some new ones for only ~$8-15. Ikea has one, Wally world.

Macro algae, LR, a few snails, one Teal Trumpet which split and has 4 heads and is splitting off one more now, and a air stone but Sniperhank is right unbelievable salt creep like a blanket! You can usually find 10G for free on CL.

Just because you can't keep critters in a too small tank doesn't mean you can't keep them in an appropriately sized tank. And who wants to spend $5-20 on a fish or coral just to see it die in a week or few. If you can pay attention to your tank and parameters and have some money to spend, you can grow a nice tank from little frags, and being patient means waiting on some things, but people here upgrade their equipment and sell off other stuff as they move on, and also around where you live. See if you can get involved with a SW club.

Back
Top Bottom