Plant list. Will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I have a decently long list of plants that I like and are available from a online supplier in Canada. It's so much harder to get plants here!

It's a 45 gal long aquarium about two weeks ago I changed the substrate to Flourite mixed with Flourite sand. I have had a hob filter rated for 55g for a while now, but a week ago I added my fluval 306 to the tank. These are my water parameters: nitrate 5ppm, phosphate 0-.25ppm(closer to 0), ammonia 0-.25, nitrite 0.

I have all of the dry ferts to dose PPS-Pro and will be dosing flourish excel.

Lighting: one four foot fixture with two bulbs

Aqua glo 40w t8
Philips alto 32w t8 (pretty much life glo)

Plant list:

Dwarf sage
Corkscrew Val
Ludwigia reapens
Anubia barteri var. nana
Crytocoryne becketti "petchii"
Red flame sword
Ludwigia ovalis
Rotala magenta ( rotala macrandra v. narrow leaf)
Nesaea pedicellata "golden" nesaea
Limnophila hippuroides
Ludwigia peruensis ( glandulosa 'peruensis)
Penny wort

Potential stock list:

Cardinal tetra (large school)
Congo tetra (smaller school)
Pearl gourami
Threadfin rainbow (6 maybe)
Cory cats (6 or so)

I believe I gave all the needed info. I jut want to know if those plants will be okay with my setup. All your help is much appreciated!

These 4:
Ludwigia ovalis
Limnophila hippuroides

Won't do well in that lighting. You definitely won't get them to color up and honestly I'm not sure how the Nesaea will look or if it will even grow. I keep it in a high light tank and while it has great color it's a slow grower for me. You "might" have the best luck with the Limnophila growing but I doubt it will color. You could do a Red Tiger Lotus as it will color in lower light.

These 4:
Ludwigia ovalis
Limnophila hippuroides

Won't do well in that lighting. You definitely won't get them to color up and honestly I'm not sure how the Nesaea will look or if it will even grow. I keep it in a high light tank and while it has great color it's a slow grower for me. You "might" have the best luck with the Limnophila growing but I doubt it will color. You could do a Red Tiger Lotus as it will color in lower light.

Ok thanks for the help! I had a feeling my colour options would be limited, better to ask then find out the hard way. Ok so the Ludwigia reapens, Ludwigia peruensis ( glandulosa 'peruensis), and Crytocoryne becketti "petchii" will all be alright with my low lighting?

Repens might have trouble, as might the glandulosa. All tanks are different, so it's hard to objective say if it will work or not. At the very least, you might not be getting the kind of coloration that you see in other picture.

As an aside, remember that many sword and Val species get quite tall. Depending on how tall this tank is, this may or may not be something to take into account.

It's 18" high I don't mind trimming when needed.

Here is an updated list:

Corkscrew val
Penny wort
Red flame sword
Anubia barteri var. nana
Hydrophilia corymbosa var 'stricta'
Dwarf sage
Rotala Rotunfoilia

The last three I can get locally for cheap. The others I have to order online. Silly thing is its a minimum $100 order, I may have to find a few others to go in on it.

It's 18" high I don't mind trimming when needed.

Here is an updated list:

Corkscrew val
Penny wort
Red flame sword
Anubia barteri var. nana
Hydrophilia corymbosa var 'stricta'
Dwarf sage
Rotala Rotunfoilia

The last three I can get locally for cheap. The others I have to order online. Silly thing is its a minimum $100 order, I may have to find a few others to go in on it.

The Hydrophilia does low to medium light. The rotala does medium light. The dwarf ambulia does medium light but I've grown regular ambulia in lower light. It just doesn't get as big and full as in higher light. The rest are fine IMO but remember in low light the plants will grow much slower.

Back
Top Bottom