Ponyo in a 20 Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no! I’m so sorry. That’s why I am so afraid of Co2. I’d probably blow up something.

That stinks.
A decent regulator should prevent mishaps and end-of-tank dumps. But they are pricey (look at the GLA models).
Been running an entry level reg for the last 3.5 years. Not without incident I might add. I am running it a bit leaner these days.

That stinks.
A decent regulator should prevent mishaps and end-of-tank dumps. But they are pricey (look at the GLA models).
Been running an entry level reg for the last 3.5 years. Not without incident I might add. I am running it a bit leaner these days.
The needle valve got bumped somehow. It's practically under the tank, so I have no idea what happened.
Oh no! I’m so sorry. That’s why I am so afraid of Co2. I’d probably blow up something.
Snails don't like it anyway. ?

I am so sorry to hear that. There are so many things that can go wrong in all aspects of fish and invert keeping. I am dealing with issues of illness I am having a heard time clearing. CO2 is a challenge as far as I can see. All kinds of heartbreaking and frustrating problems over the CO2 users. On the flipside, many people get it dialed in and have few problems overall.

Count me with TMaier on being scared of learning it, though I can see a huge advantage of growth, I've been thinking about it a little bit for a few years. These are the stories which keep me reined in.

Fresh is right, a quality valve set up can really be invaluable for stability of running a system.

My heart goes out to you. Stay strong. It is hard to process the hurt of the loss of our aquatic friends. Find out the problem, fix or change it and do what you can so that you have better odds it doesn't happen again. Best you can do I think. :)

I am so sorry to hear that. There are so many things that can go wrong in all aspects of fish and invert keeping. I am dealing with issues of illness I am having a heard time clearing. CO2 is a challenge as far as I can see. All kinds of heartbreaking and frustrating problems over the CO2 users. On the flipside, many people get it dialed in and have few problems overall.

Count me with TMaier on being scared of learning it, though I can see a huge advantage of growth, I've been thinking about it a little bit for a few years. These are the stories which keep me reined in.

Fresh is right, a quality valve set up can really be invaluable for stability of running a system.

My heart goes out to you. Stay strong. It is hard to process the hurt of the loss of our aquatic friends. Find out the problem, fix or change it and do what you can so that you have better odds it doesn't happen again. Best you can do I think. :)
Thank you.

I may just do plants for a bit. We probably won't get more puffers.

••••••

A bit of a heartbreak cleaning the tank up: I found a pocket of eggs. They are all cold, of course. So I didn't just kill the fish. I killed their babies, too.

I️ am so sorry!! ☹️ it’s always hard having fish die. One of my beloved goldfish died from swim bladder. He was my inspiration into the hobby.

I hear you about the needle valve. On the AquaTek it is a bit rough; zero to 100 bps with just a nudge.
For ultimate control, one could use a pH controller. It would only allow the CO2 to be on within a given pH range.
Plant only is fine. If the CO2 goes nuts, the plants won’t mind.

20171128_213439-01.jpg

I moved things around. That big ozelot blocks the light to anything under it, so I'm giving it its own space. I actually moved two thirds of it to the community tank. The moneywort is behind it, but far enough that it should still get light Moved the AR mini to the back, brought up the buce and anubias to the retaining wall, and am giving the microsword plenty of flat-ish space. The echinodorus parviflorus is so fragile that moving it damaged most of the leaves, but I put the root balls and remaining leaves back down. The crypts are back along the right wall, but now parallel instead of perpendicular. I haven't put the mosses or sagittaria sublata back. I need a plan for the former, and I think I'll sell the latter.

I'm thinking I'll get black (or a different dark color) sand to put over the Eco complete, and I want to swap out the mixture of sands on the outside of the wall for something very fine and pretty. Maybe something bright white. Or like a pastel blue?

The whole Ponyo concept is shot as it stands. It's still pretty, though.
I hear you about the needle valve. On the AquaTek it is a bit rough; zero to 100 bps with just a nudge.
For ultimate control, one could use a pH controller. It would only allow the CO2 to be on within a given pH range.
Plant only is fine. If the CO2 goes nuts, the plants won’t mind.
I really like the pH control idea. My budget is pretty limited right now, but it's something worth looking into later.
I️ am so sorry!! ☹️ it’s always hard having fish die. One of my beloved goldfish died from swim bladder. He was my inspiration into the hobby.
I'm sorry to hear about your goldfish.

Alright. I'm brainstorming.

We had to give up the topple popple's female betta (who is in a good home now, by the way), so maybe a betta would be the right fish for this tank.

I'm also wondering about shrimp, a fancy goldfish (although it would probably eat all the plants, wouldn't it?), or even a dwarf cichlid. Then I start looking and think that scarlet gem badis are pretty and hmmmm what about a newt?

It's too bad axolotls need bare tanks, because they are NEAT.

I've got a wide open tank. Only parameter that's not going to change is the pH. I can adjust temperature or filter flow.

GASP! I need to see if the fish nerd place still has panda loaches!

Maybe check out a few of these for options.

Apistogramma cacatuoides cockatoo Cichlid especially double or triple Red
Apistogramma borellii Cool blue and yellow
The Apistogramma Aquarium | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

I haven't tried keeping these yet (supposed to be down sizing the tanks, :) ) but a huge number of people I know love any number of these, and others.
Kribensis cichlid

AND, of course I just can't think of the other one right this minute - ugh!

Maybe check out a few of these for options.

Apistogramma cacatuoides cockatoo Cichlid especially double or triple Red
Apistogramma borellii Cool blue and yellow
The Apistogramma Aquarium | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

I haven't tried keeping these yet (supposed to be down sizing the tanks, :) ) but a huge number of people I know love any number of these, and others.
Kribensis cichlid

AND, of course I just can't think of the other one right this minute - ugh!
Somehow I missed your post until just now. That fish is gorgeous. I'll have to research more.

I'm planning to get some shrimp today. It would be really neat if I could get some that would breed, but I'm not planning on doing much to encourage spawning.

The more I think about a betta, the more I consider them... not for me. I know there are people who get really into them, but I'm not one of them. I really enjoyed the dwarf cichlids we had back before columnaris. BUT rams =no shrimp. Plus the spouse says one fish only. No restriction on shrimp or snails.

Fast Sparkles was a really cool fish.

We'll have to check things out today at the fish nerd place.

20171208_175732.jpg
Guess who's a sucker for those big brown eyes?

His name is Drago, because he's a dragon scale. I liked the bumble bees best, but he's not my fish.

They really are pretty, even though they're aholes.

20171208_131907.jpg
20171208_131811.jpg
20171208_131756.jpg
I couldn't get that last guy's face, but his color and fins are gorgeous.

There are so many amazing looking Betta colorations/patterns!!! And to think 6-10 or so years back you could only really get red or blue ones

It's a lot different than the adorable vicious killer puffer, playful furcata, and cuddly kuhli. He's just checking everything out, occasionally flaring at the ramshorns. I don't foresee them giving you much trouble, big guy.

Back
Top Bottom