Ponyo in a 20 Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep catching flashes of blue, but hiding is way too easy for them here. I'm going to redo the Spec since we don't need it for breeding ramshorns anymore and get some more shrimp. There's no way I'll be able to catch these guys to move them.

I saw no trace whatsoever of the shrimp today. Would the betta have eaten their exoskeletons? Or did they escape? Are they just better at hiding than I thought?

Drago has some lovely red coming in.

I saw a couple of flashes of blue today, so that's encouraging.

The spouse and I are talking about switching the CO2 system to pH based. It would be really easy to switch the probe for the timer, and I think it would be a lot safer.

Same thing happened with my shrimp. He just disappeared. I had two shrimp at the time and the first one I gave up on. Then I caught my Betta chomping my shrimps head off!!

First of all, check out those red pelvic fins.

The other fins, though, look like they are covered in brown spots. They don't photograph very well with a phone, but they are lined up between the rays.

SavedImage_20171221_160850_02.jpgSavedImage_20171221_160742_03.jpg

Drago has some lovely red coming in.

I saw a couple of flashes of blue today, so that's encouraging.

The spouse and I are talking about switching the CO2 system to pH based. It would be really easy to switch the probe for the timer, and I think it would be a lot safer.

I find it safer but would still have the drop checker just in case. Else pretty much set, recalibrate probe every so often and done.

I am still amazed at how much less waste a single betta makes than four pea puffers. Not that it doesn't make sense, but it's something else entirely to see it.
Same thing happened with my shrimp. He just disappeared. I had two shrimp at the time and the first one I gave up on. Then I caught my Betta chomping my shrimps head off!!
There's no way I could have caught those shrimp to move them.
I find it safer but would still have the drop checker just in case. Else pretty much set, recalibrate probe every so often and done.
I already have the drop checkers, so I'm in good shape there.

My shrimp were ghosties who were lazy slobs! They didn’t really clean much. Plus they were REALLY slow.

20180103_185008-01.jpg
Isn't he pretty?

20180103_185003-01.jpg
This is a weird angle.

I'm getting some green algae even though I've got the CO2 going on and they lighting hasn't changed. I'm not thrilled with that.

He's a really pretty color! The red fins are a nice accent!

As for the algae (I have my own little crop) so not exactly trying to provide advice... lol, have you changed lighting period, water change schedule, flow or food/feeding schedule?

He's a really pretty color! The red fins are a nice accent!

As for the algae (I have my own little crop) so not exactly trying to provide advice... lol, have you changed lighting period, water change schedule, flow or food/feeding schedule?
CO2 was spotty for a bit because of a leak in the solenoid. I'm hoping it gets back under control now that the timer is hooked up again.

He really is pretty. He's been hiding behind the CO2 diffuser and heater, which freaks me right the ef out. I've been slowly increasing the heat in the tank, so hopefully he feels more comfortable hanging out in the plants or something.

I don't know that I'm ever going to get used to him just laying on the sand. Every time my heart skips a beat, then he sees me and is like, "hey, how about some food?" Don't do that, fish!

Maybe try some floating stems massed over at a peaceful corner. Betta Log perhaps.

They are more susceptible for fin rot if they stay in the substrate too much.

What is his temp?

Last edited:
Maybe try some floating stems massed over at a peaceful corner. Betta Log perhaps.

They are more susceptible for fin rot if they stay in the substrate too much.

What is his temp?
It was at 74°F. It's now at 80°. What kills me is that there are so many plants in here! And a lot of them have big, sturdy leaves!

I'll have to look into a betta log.

Although he did find the moss.
20180111_093835-01.jpg

I am trying to sort out some logistics with him, though. I won some of CoralBandit's rams, and this is the tank I'd like to have them in. I tried moving him to the community. It went about as well as you might expect. He chased the guppy, and the rainbows mobbed him. Altogether he spent more time acclimating than in the tank.

That bettas effectively need their own tank makes them pretty hard to keep. He refuses the frozen food everybody else eats, and he freaks me out laying on the substrate.

And he's back on the substrate. ...fish...

Back
Top Bottom