Tetra safe start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkie1728

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i'm in the process of setting up a 60 ltr tropical fish tank.
Its been up and running for a week now with no fish, i have been advised to put some TETRA SAFE START in to get things going.
My Question is :
1: is it any good.
2: How much should i put in.
3: How much do i put in when adding new fish.

By the way i'm a newbie to the aquarium so my apologies for all the questions.

Thanks

Questions are what we're here for!

It's great that you don't have fish yet: it gives you a chance to do a fishless cycle. Tetra SafeStart isn't really proven to do anything in making your tank safe for fish, although it shouldn't hurt anything, either.

Here's what you'll need to get your tank ready for fishy friends:
1) a liquid reagent test kit, such as API Freshwater Master kit
2) pure ammonia, sometimes called "janitorial strength", with NO surfactants/soaps or perfumes! You can also use large amounts of fish food or raw shrimp, but this method is less predictable.

A heater helps, too. If you're planning on adding live plants, you can add them now; they can help with your cycle.

Once you're armed, read up on fishless cycling in the Articles section, and start researching what fish you'd like! :)

Thanks, i have got a heater and live plants already in the aquarium.
I just want to make sure i get the water right before i add some fish.
I think i'm only going to keep a few tetra's to start with.

Tetra SafeStart isn't really proven to do anything in making your tank safe for fish, although it shouldn't hurt anything, either.
safestart was changed from bio spira. it was really one of the only things out there that could get your tank cycled from the start. while they dont claim you wont have no ammonia their claim is it wont be any ammonia or nitrite but not enough to harm the fish. it does have a shelf life also. never seen a bottle for my self. it should be marked with a date.

if you do go that way you should follow what the bottle says maybe a little more. you still need a test kit to keep a eye on it. there also other ways to help jump start a tank like filter media from a cycled tank some substrate from a cycled tank. if you have any friends with a aquarium it would help. some lfs will even give you some of the cycled media.

fishless cycle personally i think is the way to go but i understand how hard it can be to sit there with no fish.

I just used it on a half-cycled tank and within 2 days the cycle was complete. I was really impressed, especially since I had been stuck in a stalled cycle for about 6 weeks... I added it on the same day that I added fish and it seemed to work like a charm. The smaller bottle treats up to 30 gallons according to the package.

Back
Top Bottom