Water levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bouncer36

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so what is supposed to be I tested my water and this is what mine is

PH- 7.6
High range Ph- 7.4
Ammonia- 0.25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0

Can you give some more details about the tank.

Is it the tank in your other post? What size is it? What filter? Does it contain any fish? If so what and how many?

The water parameters tell me that the tank isnt cycled. If you have fish in there, because of the 0.25 ammonia reading do a 25% water change. Continue to test daily and if you see detectable ammonia or nitrites do a 25% water change. Dont add any more fish until you are seeing nitrates rising and have 0ppm ammonia and nitrites consistently over a period.

I would also do an ammonia test on some bottled water to see what a 0ppm test result looks like. If looked at in bad light on a non-white background then a 0ppm result can look like 0.25ppm.

Yes it is the tank in the other post
55 gallon tank
It’s a marineland canisters
No fish in it yet waiting for water to be good

I used this stuff on itIMG_0202.jpg

No saltwater
I asked on here someone else said it was for freshwater fish. So I guess I will just have to drain and start all over again. This bites oh well

You dont need to drain. I doubt it will harm anything, it just will die out in a freshwater tank.

Have you thought about how you will cycle? Fishless or fish in?

Fishless cycle is kinder on fish as you arent putting fish in until the aquarium is cycled. You can also fully stock your tank quicker than with a fish in cycle. Normally takes 4 or 5 weeks and you can pretty much fully stock.

Fish in cycle gets some fish in the aquarium straight away but you have to add in more fish gradually as the beneficial bacteria grows to colonise the filter and might be 2 or 3 minths before you are fully stocked. Some people see it as an inhumane way of cycling as the fish have to live in uncycled conditions. It also involves a lot of water changes.

Its up to you really. Depends on your priorities and sensibilities. Do a little research on both and see what is best for yourself.

If you go fish in, start with 1 small fish per 10 gallons.

If you go fishless, you will need an ammonia source to replicate the fish waste. Either pure ammonia, ammonium chloride (i use a product by Dr Tim) or fishfood.

I think I’m going to do the fish less cycle way I have to wait for my fish tank hood to get here anyway
Thank you for helping And glad you said I didn’t have to drain it I had a pitcher to put water in to fill it That was a endless back and forth thought I was never going to get done

I think I’m going to do the fish less cycle way I have to wait for my fish tank hood to get here anyway
Thank you for helping And glad you said I didn’t have to drain it I had a pitcher to put water in to fill it That was a endless back and forth thought I was never going to get done
I would definitely get a syphon. Even a cheap one and a couple of buckets will make water changes so much easier than hauling a pitcher back and forth.

Fishless cycle link below if nobody has pointed you to it.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/

What is the best ph up and ph down stuff to use
Trying to order some and does my ph levels be at?

It been a week today since I started my tank up
My

Ph- 7.6
High range ph- 7.4
Ammonia-0.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

I did a 25% water change on the may 18
And tested again on 20 ammonia levels was 0
Oh I’ve been using fish food in tank

Just ordered Dr Tim’s ammonia

Less is more. Dont mess with the ph chemically. If you truly need a lower ph than make your own water using rodi

Is the ph level ok 7.6. I was thinking the ph of 7.0 was a neutral

What is rodi
Reverse osmosis de-ionised water. Basically water filtered until it contains no other elements. 100% water. You then have to remineralise it, so you can get the exact water parameters you require.

Regards your question about pH. Fish live in a wide variety of pH, it doesnt have to be neutral. Unless you are keeping fish that require a very specific pH (like discus or cichlids) fish will acclimate to the pH. I have pH around 7.2 to 7.5 so your pH of 7.6 should be fine. Its better to keep the pH stable than it is to keep raising and lowering it looking for a specific number.

Your local fish store will likely be using the same water you are (although some might use rodi) so the fish they sell will probably already be acclimated to whatever pH that is.

Glad you're doing a fishless cycle. Take your time as it will take 3-8 weeks to complete before you can add fish. Good luck.

So I tested the water again today

Ph-7.6
High range ph-7.4
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

Do you think I should go ahead and do a 25% water change ?

Back
Top Bottom