What is over stocking anyway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madcurlyq

Aquarium Advice Activist
ive heard a lot of things such as
-inch a gal
-over 20 nitrate in a week
-an inch every foot of surface

so in your opinion.

for example is this overstock because before i stock this tank i want to know if this is over stocking because i am trying to go with the second option?

o its a 29gal

-10 neons
-2 rams
-6 hatchets
-4-5 julii cory cats

Overstocking happens when the amount of ammonia produced by your fish is too great to be effectively removed by the bacteria in your filter. It depends on a number of factors including what kind of filter you have and how much waste certain fish produce. It can also depend on how territorial some fish are. Visit AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor to help give you a good idea of how much of a bioload your tank can handle.

No I think your tanks is stocked perfectly. Inch per gal is no good, but yes, in general, a 30% water change once weekly should keep the nitrates from exceeding 20ppm. There can be situations though where the fish actually have enough room, and more filtration is what is needed. Bottom line is you really have to go by the specific species you are interested in. IMO your list looks great, it would not be overstocked. I would up your julii's to 6 though..cories do best with atleast 6. :)

Overstocking happens when the amount of ammonia produced by your fish is too great to be effectively removed by the bacteria in your filter. It depends on a number of factors including what kind of filter you have and how much waste certain fish produce. It can also depend on how territorial some fish are. Visit AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor to help give you a good idea of how much of a bioload your tank can handle.

I would use the AqAdvisor for entertainment purposes only. I've played around with it alot, and it's ridiculously inaccurate at times. What you've done in this case, listing your stock on the forum, will give you much more reliable info on if it's suitable, IMO.

Not exactly... but kind of. You're right on with the territorialism. But, it's not ammonia that's the issue. A tank can grow a bacteria colony big enough to support more fish than you can put in it, literally. But, what you have to monitor is the end product of the nitrogen cycle, the nitrate. You can stock a planted tank heavier than a non planted tank, because plants use nitrates to grow. PWC's are the only way to remove nitrate, other than nitrate filters (well, there are nitrate filters), but you also remove hormones, toxons, etc. Aqadvisor is a horrible tool to stock a tank with. It can give you an approximate idea, but should never be used as a final stocking tool. There are too many factors. The guy that made this may find one thing, where a bunch of seasoned veterans may find the opposite. It all boils down to making sure the fish have adequate swimming room (that depends on each fish individually), the nitrate level of the tank, and the compatability of the fish in the tank.

As far as that stocking list, I would agree that it sounds ok. The hatchets, I've heard, are prone to jumping, so a lid would be a good idea. I would also bump the cories up to 6, though 5 would be ok. I would introduce them before the rams, but after the others. Rams stick towards the bottom as well, and others have had issues with cories and apistos, which are dwarf cichlids as well. Just make sure the rams have plenty of cave areas, and lots of hiding places to feel secure and break up the line of sight. This will be especially important when they're breeding.

I'll add that everything I've said is purely my opinion... so take it as you wish.

thanks that helps, also what order should i add them in and wait to put more?

I agree with Jonathan that adding the cories before the rams is the best idea. Otherwise, I don't think the order matters much, as long as the tank is completely cycled before you're adding fish of course. I would add one group at a time per 10 days or so.

I would add the hatchets first, then the neons, then the cories, then the rams... but that's only because the neons are a little finicky sometimes, so having the tank established for a couple weeks would be of benefit. The rams are quite sensitive sometimes, so adding them last is the best bet, plus, they won't be able to claim the whole bottom before the cories are in there that way.

to do a fishless cycle, you can follow one of the many guides on the site here that go in great detail. There's a sticky in the getting started forum that links a couple of them

haha ok i will do that and add the fish in that order will the neons swim in the middle region?

My neons generally hang out in the bottom 3rd of the tank only coming up to the top at feeding time.

haha ok i will do that and add the fish in that order will the neons swim in the middle region?

They are really towards the bottom more. I think only the hatchets will be in the top half of the tank.

hmm anything that would fit in to the middle region? thats from the amazon?

Tetras are the best choice. If you don't like neons, any of the deep-bodied tetras like bloodfins, lemons, diamonds, phantoms and any other similar-shaped tetra like to inhabit the middle part of the tank in IMO.

Hmm I don't think the larger tetras are a good choice with the rams. It can be hard to get food down to the rams with larger tetras in the mid section. Ember tetras are even smaller than the neons and tend to swim higher in the tank. They aren't that impressive to look at really, though.

i like the glowlights but the embers are so small and cute! do the embers swim in the middle and how many should i get?

Back
Top Bottom