Pics of my first reef, 3 gal Picotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys, This is a real FUN tank, First of all it is in the kitchen and we all spend a lot of time in the kitchen or walking through. It always gets a stop and look while coming through. The 3 gal is just cute too, I mean who would have thought a tank that small could house soooo much life? I love to hand feed my fire shrimp and hermit crab from a pipette , and it easy in a tank 8" deep !

I have nocturnal blue LED's that come on at night that are very cool, I love to stare into the tank at night and check out the critters.

Neat thing about it is anyone can afford the $40 Picotope , bone stock, and tons of fun to watch.

Awesome Pico. I just picked up a custom made 2.5 Pico off of craigslist, and if you don't mind I am going to use some of your aesthetic ideas.

That's very cool. How often do you do a water change in something like that? What filter media do you have in the filter?

That's very cool. How often do you do a water change in something like that? What filter media do you have in the filter?
Usually weekly PWC, ( sometimes I forget and go to 2 weeks) only take out a quart each time. No big deal on a tank this small, I use a drinking glass to scoop it out. I buy premix RO salt water and add it back in over an 30 minute period. The EASIEST aquarium I have ever maintenenced. I keep a charcoal pack in the filter and clean the pre filter regularly, just to keep the nasties from cooking fumes and other cooking fall out from killing my corals (the tank is in the kitchen).

You inspired me to set up another nano the same as your size 3 gallons but with an Eclipse system 3 instead. I have to say that I like my live rock a heck of a lot more in this set up then my Biocube. In my cube I was more concerned about what was growing on my live rock then the shape. Now this tank looks like I always wanted my Biocube to look like. :(

DJLiquid, that sounds great ! I went and checked out the Elipse and it looks real nice. Will certainly be nice having a hood, as I had to go to a glass company and get a piece cut to make a half top for mine, still loose a lot of heat and water due to evaporation. I have to have a 50 watt heater in mine!, tried two 10's and couldn't keep up. Be sure to send out a picture when you get your live rock the way you want it.

JOey

I would not personally suggest fish in a 3 gal, I figure I only have 2+ gallons of water in there. LR ,sand ,heaters, take up room . I have one fire shrimp that I just love, shy at first, now up on the front begging for food all afternoon. I hand feed him with a pippette along with my crab. I also have some snails in there, started w 2, now have 4 babies too.

The tank came with the 13 watt PC bulb, that is working out nicely, I have awesome bright green algae growth on the LR, and all is going great. I added a blue LED above the tank ( mounted under the cabinets above) that makes for a great looking reef at night.The corals flouresse at night, totally awesome to watch.

You will need a big heater in that tank, it looses heat, I bought this one.
Aquarium Heaters: Visi-Therm Deluxe Heaters
I tried 2 10's and it would not keep it warm, so I had to go w a 50, no problems with this one, I still have one of the 10's in there for back-up.

I also had a glass company build me a 1/2 top for mine, to prevent stuff from getting in while working around it in the kitchen, cost me $10. Here is a picture of it on the tank.

If you need a better pic of top, just let me know. I took cardboard and traced around the tank, giving an extra 1/2 inch , I also left the back 5 or so inches open, and I stuck little tabs around the edges to keep it from sliding around.

Attachments

• aqu n soccer002 (Small).jpg
    aqu n soccer002 (Small).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 79
Thanks so much! All of this is really helpful... If you do have a better pic of the top of the tank that would be great!!! I love your LR formation I think its perfect considering the tank shape and size...Thank You

So out of curiosity, how much do you think you are in the hole $$ wise for this tank? Looks like a fun lil project.

Well,I did a little research so w/out the testing supplies (test kit, hydrometer etc)
The whole thing will run you about $150 or so, for start up which is
-Tank (comes w/light and filter)
-Heater
-PowerHead
-Sand
-Live Rock
-Thermometer

THIS IS JUST AN ESTIMATE BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE W? RESEARCH HANDS ON ETC...

hmmm... not too bad at all... sooo tempting...

no no no... gotta finish the house renovations first to keep peace w/ the wife...

wait... maybe I build it at work... it could be my secret shame...

nahhh... probably a bad idea.. ;)

Dontcha hate this hobby sometimes? Too many good ideas, too little floorspace:silly:

I know what you mean... especially when you get all wrapped up in it and it begins to burn a hole in your pocket and then theres nothing left :D.....

Jason C- Go for it, put one at the office ! No one will know... well except for us. You see, my wife reads all of my subscribed threads- sees every post I make, I could never get away with that. My wife is a lurker here at AA, never actually post one of her own, I suggested she get her own ID, something like Joeyswifefromlawrenceville.
I am frugal, shop for best price, here is what I have in my Picotope: Picotope only 42 bucks( pet Solutions), heater is $16(pet solutions), sand $10 ( LFS), 5#LR $30 (LFS)and that is all I have, total 98 bucks plus $9 shipping .

O- forgot the lunar moon light just added, you wouldn't have those at work though.

I did not put a powerhead in mine like Fishypop22, probably not a bad idea, there is a fair amount of flow just from the included filter. I think if you try hard you can do it for $110 , not a bad deal at all ! Your wife will never know.
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom