simple carbon question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may sound like a dumb question to most of you. After reading alot of carbon questions I have realized that most people only use carbon as a water polisher. We put carbon in a canister filter when our tank started gowing that brown algae(yuck). Is it better not to run carbon 24/7 in a tank or is this allright? I did not even realize that I was only using it as a water polisher, I have even changed out the carbon twice in the last year not giving it a second thought.

Please all comments welcome and appreciated

I have been running carbon in my filter for 24/7 for as long as I have had my tank (6 months). I have never had a problem with it and my water has always been crystal clear. I normally change the carbon every month but the last month or so I haven't gotten around to it. Some will tell you that you shouldn't run it 24/7 because it takes too much out of the water and others will tell you that running it all the time is better or it doesn't matter. I don't know which is better, all I can tell you is that i have used it and haven't had any problems with it. I think it will all just come down to whatever you feel is better. HTH

I run carbon 24/7 in my skimmer without problems. I can't see any reason not to run it, especially in a reef tank where corals can be secreting chemicals to thwart each other.

I also use GAC 24/7. If you decide to use it 24/7 or some of the time, make sure to replace it every 30-45 days of use or it'll just add nitrates, etc. and be counterproductive

I have a few really good links on carbon, I'll post them up when I get home after the Eagles get done beating the panthers :wink:

Here's an article with a little info on GAC.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=11
I usually only run the carbon when I see a need for it such as a yellowish tint in the tank. One thing to remember is that if you're going to use it all the time, you'll need to change it at least once a month. It will clog up and can actually start to leach some of the stuff it has collected back into the water. It can also become bioactive over time and contribute to nitrates in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom