Adding a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gal tank planted with dw. As I set up my 90, I'd like to introduce the betta I'm adding to it to a community tank
Could I keep a betta in my 10 for 1-2 months with-
9 guppies
A mystery fry(breeder trap)
3 peppered cories
I need it to get used to community life before going into the big tank
This would be a male betta and I would test it at the store for friendliness by holding it up to the guppy and cory tank to see if it flares

emerald76 said:
I have a 10 gal tank planted with dw. As I set up my 90, I'd like to introduce the betta I'm adding to it to a community tank
Could I keep a betta in my 10 for 1-2 months with-
9 guppies
A mystery fry(breeder trap)
3 peppered cories
I need it to get used to community life before going into the big tank
This would be a male betta and I would test it at the store for friendliness by holding it up to the guppy and cory tank to see if it flares

It may be possible. As you stated, you already know it all depends on The temperment. I do see a problem with the guppies, with the tails being a bright target.

True about the guppies but that is another reason for putting the betta by the guppy tank(males) because if it flares a lot while I hold it there it means it sees the guppies as bettas
It's okay if it flares once or preferably not at all
Also I'll have a divider handy just invade of injuries
Plus if the betta starts fin nipping immediately I have 48 hours to give it back which should be easy
Also there are lots of hollows in my driftwood for fish to hide in
Thanks for your help!

IMO no. Your 10g sounds quite cramped already and adding a potentially aggressive fish to the mix is just going to cause stress for the Betta and the guppies. The difference between a 90g and a 10g is space. More space = more escape options. In a 10g the Betta will see a guppy, give chase, loose that one just to turn around and find another right there to chase. Now I know people have kept guppies with bettas and it works for them but with that many fish in only 10g it's not going to work.

I just recently learned my lesson with bettas... again. I had a backup plan, but I decided to try a male betta with 6 rasboras. He didn't much care for them. Now I have 2 male bettas in their own 10g side by side. I think it's possible that people that report success with male bettas and other fish may not pay much attention or watch from a distance. It took him awhile to even acknowledge their presence.

Back
Top Bottom