cories,what should i get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 bronze cories and 2 albino cories I aknow they are just colour variations of the bronze and also heard there is a black variation,I want to have a gruop of six so do you think I should get 2 black ones?are they very common?these 4 are great friends,Is there an easy way to tell what sex they are and if a female is with eggs?Is there anything special I need to do to get the little guys to breed and will they eat their fry?

The females will be wider when viewed from above if they are full of eggs. Any color variation of the same species will school together.

pretty much any cory will school together but the same color usually school tighter?. i havent tried testing this in any way or anything. how are your albinos and bronze schooling? if their schooling well enough then im sure the blacks should be fine

Yes, they will eat their eggs/fry, and you can probably forget about getting the blacks....even in North America they are rare and pricey...assuming that you could even get any in Aus, they would probably be $100 each.

wow that is very dear compared to bronze and albino's thye are only $5 each at fish shops here,My bronze and albinos are schooling very nicely,so I think I will just get more of each. :roll:

Biggles said:
wow that is very dear compared to bronze and albino's thye are only $5 each at fish shops here,My bronze and albinos are schooling very nicely,so I think I will just get more of each. :roll:

u sure the black cory isn't the PEPPERED or JULII ??

yep I'm sure,I have a peppered in my tank and I've seen Julli's at the fish shop,I read about black variation of the bronze cory on Planet Catfish

Bubble_B0y said:
Biggles said:

u sure the black cory isn't the PEPPERED or JULII ??

No they are not...the black is a possible aeneus variant, or may be a different species altogether...here is a link to a photo on scotcat.com:
http://www.scotcat.com/images/c_aeneus_black.jpg

Article on Corydoras sp. cf aeneus 'black' on planetcatfish:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/corydora/34_f.php

Personally, I suspect that they will turn out to be a different species, based on their apparent somatic morphology.

Those are freakin cool looking. 100$ huh... wow. gonna ask my lfs if he can order them, maybe just a freak price thing. neat looking though to say the least.

Titus said:
Those are freakin cool looking. 100$ huh... wow. gonna ask my lfs if he can order them, maybe just a freak price thing. neat looking though to say the least.

In North America, they usually go for about $20-$30 each...its just that all corys are more expensive in Aus, especially these newly discovered types (which are also often not available down there).

personally i think that looks quite similar to like the upside down catfish, and theres another kind i forgot the name for

Back
Top Bottom