Killie killies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw gold killifish today at an LFS and I really want some. Problem is I know nothing about killies and know better than to buy on impulse. Can anyone tell me how to take care of them? Would they be fine in a fifty five gallon?

What's in the 55 gallon tank? They can be aggressive... or atleast that's what I've read!

golden wonders are pretty cool, I've got some golden topminnows in a tank and I like them, and I believe they stay a lot smaller.

I've never kept golden wonders in particular so I can't really comment on their behavior first-hand.

I loved my golden wonder killies while they were alive. Huge appetites though.

I'd recommend ample space if you want to keep a pair. Or better yet, multiple females to one male. I started out with just two, and the male ran the female ragged.

Feed them NLS and in no time you'll have golden killies so vibrant that you won't believe it. I've noticed across all six LFS in my area that spinal deformities are a problem with them. So watch out for that. Their shape is beautiful when it's not messed up for whatever reason.

I keep one male to two females so he doesnt bully her. Dont put two males together or they'll kill each other, trust me. I have mine in a 40g so your tank would be fine. they can actually live like a betta because they dont need heat but they are JUMPERS. keep tank lid CLOSED or cover the top. They are not as bad a some killis but ive had one die on me for jumping.

Reactions: HN1
Okay, is forty gallons big enough for a pair plus some other fish, or do they need that tank to themselves? Just wondering, I got the 40 gal. breeder today, really siked on what I'm gonna do with it. :)

I loved my golden wonder killies while they were alive. Huge appetites though.

I'd recommend ample space if you want to keep a pair. Or better yet, multiple females to one male. I started out with just two, and the male ran the female ragged.

Feed them NLS and in no time you'll have golden killies so vibrant that you won't believe it. I've noticed across all six LFS in my area that spinal deformities are a problem with them. So watch out for that. Their shape is beautiful when it's not messed up for whatever reason.

Okay, how will you notice the spinal deformities? Also excuse my ignorance, but what is NLS? I am thinking about a pair...

if you need to know how to breed them, just pm me. i can give you a whole long detailed explination on how i breed them. I tried to type it all but acidently deleted it. so just pm me..

If you do get them just remember that they grow to 6'' tend to be quite aggressive and eat anything that fits in their mouth. If you are looking for something more suitable for a community most Aphyosemion species fit the bill. Although they can be tough to find locally, you can find plenty of nice ones on Aquabid.

Okay thank you! I was looking for something that would do well in a community, if golden killies don't fit the bill what Aphyosemion species would?

Killies from the genus Chromaphyosemion are really nice and I've never had a problem with any Aphyosemion except australe in a community setup.

They aren't too terribly aggressive when they are young, but when they get older, they are definitely biters. I have one at four inches and she is not afraid of me during cleaning. Also, make sure to have the water level dropped down. These guys WILL jump.

Okay, how will you notice the spinal deformities? Also excuse my ignorance, but what is NLS? I am thinking about a pair...

You'll probably know it when you see it. I've seen some that were mild hunchbacks instead of having a graceful body line, all the way to looking like a parrot cichlid in shape.

Back
Top Bottom