Possible tank mates for my male betta in my 10 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am one of those who never recommends tank mates for bettas, male or female. I think they deserve their own space, which they seem to prefer, based on my experience with both genders.

Kuhli loaches require at least 30 gallons. They need lots of room to zoom.

Usually they do prefer hanging out on their own... But if you have a big enough tank (Id say at least 10 gallons) you can put them in with neon tetras, glo-fish, cory-cats, and sometimes zebra danios. Basically... Small, fast fish that dont like to nip fins and dont have long fins that can get nipped. Snails and ghost shrimp can make good tank mates; the bettas usually ignore them, though sometimes they might make a snack of the small shrimp.

I had a betta when I was younger who loved to swim with neons. He wouldn't chase them, he would literally swim with them.

They can be, but IME most are model community citizens. Don't attempt to mix your betta with other fish without a back up plan, however.

Glofish and zebra danios need a much larger tank than 10 gallons, as do most cories.

You could do a school of about 6 small fish like neon tetras or ember tetras. Pygmy cories like habrosus would work, but avoid larger cories. I have a school of dadio's with a betta in a 10 gal and that works nice, but those can be hard to find.

Personally, I do think kuhli loaches work in a 10 gal if you have a sandy substrate, but something with a slightly larger footprint like a 15 or 20 would be better. They need to be stocked in groups of 5. A few platties will work in a 10 also.

Bettas usually eat shrimp IME, especially the males, but you could try some cheap ghost shrimp if you'd like. 1-2 nerite snails would be a nice addition.

Back
Top Bottom