Upside-down Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a syno for a while- they're good scavengers, but can be aggressive sometimes. Depending on the type you get, they can get pretty large (mine was ~8"), and they grow pretty fast.

-J

I have two species of 'Upside-down' catfish...Synodontis nigrita (the Lace Synodontis) and Synodontis eupterus (the High-fin Synodontis). Neither of these cats spend a whole lot of time swimming upside down but they are pretty and interesting catfish. Synodontis nigroventris is the typical 'Upside Down' catfish and does spend almost as much time swimming upside down as it does rightside up.

Most Synodontis cats are nocturnal and you won't see them much when the lights are on in the aquarium. They'll eat practically anything. Some of them get to considerable size. The two species that I have will eventually reach up to 6 inches in length.

I have 2 upside-down catfish. I love them! One lives in a log, and I don't ever see him. The other hangs out in a treasure chest that I have angled so that I can see him :D . They swim upside-down whenever they come out of hiding, and they are so fun to watch!

I have them in a 46 gallon community tank, and have had no problems.

I think there was a James Bond, Octopussy, which had an aquarium with some large upside down catfish. They must have been 6 to 8 inches long. Ever since that movie wanted some upside down catfish. I ended up getting three lace catfish. They’re a good-looking fish when I can see them, which is usually about once every couple weeks.

I had one for 7 years. He never got more than 4" or 5" long. They are shy and need a place to hide out. Mine was upside down most of the time. Just put a pellet of sinking food in after turning the lights off. Come back and look into the dark tank after a while if you want to watch him eat.

Back
Top Bottom