What have you seen in the pet shop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natrualbeauty22

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412795481.693823.jpg
Oscar and Gourami? The manager said if fish grow up together they usually get along. Like dogs and cats who grow up together. What's your opinion on this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree. Unless it's a fish that has aggression as an instinct.

It all comes down to the type of fish. An African cichlid is, an example where that won't work. But haven't you heard of getting all angels at a certain size so they get used to each other.

This doesn't apply to everything tho. You can't put a small fish with a semi aggressive fish. An Oscar and a gourami may be fine now but when that Oscar pushes 8". It just might make a meal out of the gourami.

This doesn't apply to everything tho. You can't put a small fish with a semi aggressive fish. An Oscar and a gourami may be fine now but when that Oscar pushes 8". It just might make a meal out of the gourami.

+1 Gourami would be fish food for the Oscar someday.

Unbelievable that a pet store "manager" would say something like this.
Does he know the rule of fish..."Big fish eats little fish"?
And to top it off, comparing cats and dogs to fish?

Ya they have the biggest selection of fish in my area but I am reconsidering taking there advice. I may be aquarist rookie but even I know this is a bad idea. In one tank they had blue rams in with Mollies. I'm not sure that's a good idea either. Check this out I feel so bad for this guy :( he is I'd say 5-6 feet long I know he needs more room than this!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412809566.237469.jpg

Unfortunately it's not uncommon to see these kinds of things in fish stores.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I once saw a customer ask if he could put his hand in the tank to check the temperature and was allowed to do so.

for rams and mollies it could work, as mollies are top dwellers
But then again, mollies like a little brackish water, don't they?

for rams and mollies it could work, as mollies are top dwellers
But then again, mollies like a little brackish water, don't they?

They are fine in completely salt and some are ok in brackish. Most of the ones you see in pet store have been in fresh their whole life

Fishobsessed7

I was just at a big box store and this poor guy bought a Betta and a ten gal. He wanted a heater and they were trying to convince him that he needed all these different water purifiers and java moss balls and more fish I was like just no. I tried to talk to him but no luck. Then I told an employee about my tank and they go "oh well African cichlids are great community fish" and "a goldfish or two would do great with a few oscars and your fish". I had told her that I had guppies, cories, tetras and rams. I told her African cichlids are not appropriate for a community tank and goldfish are cold water. She told me I was nuts and should listen to her as she knew what she was doing! I did get in a plug for AA with a family trying to get oscars for a twenty.

Back
Top Bottom