What have you seen in the pet shop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What have I seen in the pet shops? In today's shops I see under qualified people giving advice, badly misshaped fish being sold as a new variety and diseases that can no longer be cured by the meds available to us hobbyists. It's not like the old days. :(

Imy lfs moved a fish that had marine velvet to a coral tank that had cleaner shrimp in it so they could heal it. Except that cleaner shrimp dont help for it and he ended up contaminating a tank with a disease that is known for wiping tanks and since its a coral tank, its impossible to treat.

What have I seen in the pet shops? In today's shops I see under qualified people giving advice, badly misshaped fish being sold as a new variety and diseases that can no longer be cured by the meds available to us hobbyists. It's not like the old days. :(

That is such a shame. These poor fish. New variety!! :'(

And uncureable diseases. :'( What if things can no longer be cured for our beloved fish one day? :(

Imy lfs moved a fish that had marine velvet to a coral tank that had cleaner shrimp in it so they could heal it. Except that cleaner shrimp dont help for it and he ended up contaminating a tank with a disease that is known for wiping tanks and since its a coral tank, its impossible to treat.

:(. That makes me so sad for those creatures and the coral too.

That is such a shame. These poor fish. New variety!! :'(

And uncureable diseases. :'( What if things can no longer be cured for our beloved fish one day? :(

Well let's see, Balloon anything were fish we used to feed to other fish to keep those genes out of the line, Now they are everywhere! Angel rams???? Give me a break :facepalm: Enhanced glow fish :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Fish viruses are popping up all over. The best meds for these were from a company that was forced to close due to too may government regulations and no replacement has been on the market.

Need I go on? :blink:

Oh my word.

That makes me so frustrated. Ugh!! That just hurts fish and people that love their fish and want to do all they can to save them.

The reasons are all pretty simple. A lot of stuff can "work" short term. The business needs to profit by definition and mass-wholesaled aquarium fish are a high loss product. The sooner they sell, the better for the business. Then the new owner inherits any issues and will tend to purchase dry goods to solve "problems". I get and agree with the ethical argument, but there is also a logical one to be understood. Find a good LFS that QTs and guarantees, and support them.

The reasons are all pretty simple. A lot of stuff can "work" short term. The business needs to profit by definition and mass-wholesaled aquarium fish are a high loss product. The sooner they sell, the better for the business. Then the new owner inherits any issues and will tend to purchase dry goods to solve "problems". I get and agree with the ethical argument, but there is also a logical one to be understood. Find a good LFS that QTs and guarantees, and support them.

Well said, however many many people don't have this luxury. The LFS I mentioned is the only saltwater store in my vicinity without taking a long drive.

You're right. And it's not right that things are that way.

Why does the life of a fish matter less than a bird or cat or whatever? The pet store wouldn't sell a sickly bird I would hope.

This "it's just a fish" mentality must stop everywhere! Then maybe we can get some change started.

Our lfs is pretty good. I do have some gripes but they aren't that bad.

Although I hate the set ups for sale w gravel etc plastic tanks that say good for 1 small goldfish or betta. No. The ones that say this are a gallon or two.

They also have a few tiny betta "homes". Ugh.

Its not true of dogs either (the growing up together thing). Many times when the animal gets sexually mature, and EVEN it it gets neutered early, fights can start at any time. Vicious fights. I've had it happen, and its not pretty. So I can see the same thing happening with fish. Babies get along--baby fish, cats, dogs, horses, birds, etc. When they get the hormones going though, their whole outlook can change, even if there's not a mate anywhere in sight.

I am one of those who also doesn't have a good LFS within an hour's drive away. I will not, under no circumstances, buy from Petsmart or Petco again. In nearly every tank, you will see fish gasping at the top, sitting on the bottom, or with clamped fins. Ich is sometimes seen, and its so obvious that there's no way the employees haven't seen it. The only fish I will buy at either of those stores are bettas, as they are kept separate from the central system (in bowls, of course) and so are spared being exposed to what all the other fish are. They can still get sick, but if you quarantine them properly, the chances are somewhat lower. I know I shouldn't buy bettas, as it only encourages the store to carry them, but now and then I just cannot push myself to walk past them without "just looking." That, of course, leads to the inevitable buy. Those bettas practically jump on my back and hang on so I'll get them out of there! I do have a 55 that is not fully stocked, so I've been known (more than a few times) to get a female betta here and there. One that looks healthy, and is active. But as for platies, mollies and guppies especially, most seem to be of inferior stock that are weak and destined for disease, if not already diseased. Every single guppy or molly I've gotten from either of those places had passed away within days or weeks of purchase. The LFS that is an hour away is a lot better as far as diseases go, but they have only a 48 hour guarantee! Petco has a 30 day guarantee, and Petsmart has a 14 day guarantee, I believe. But this still would never sell me, as I get the fish to enjoy them, and give them a happy home, not watch them die slowly. The money is secondary.

Well said, however many many people don't have this luxury. The LFS I mentioned is the only saltwater store in my vicinity without taking a long drive.

Understood. There are other options as well. My point is to patronize those that do things right and avoid the "convenience factor" if its not up to par. Our best local LFS for FW is 35 or so miles away. There is no other. SW is a different story.

You're right. And it's not right that things are that way.

Why does the life of a fish matter less than a bird or cat or whatever? The pet store wouldn't sell a sickly bird I would hope.

This "it's just a fish" mentality must stop everywhere! Then maybe we can get some change started.

The same reason more value is placed on a human life than that of a primate?

Our lfs is pretty good. I do have some gripes but they aren't that bad.

Although I hate the set ups for sale w gravel etc plastic tanks that say good for 1 small goldfish or betta. No. The ones that say this are a gallon or two.

They also have a few tiny betta "homes". Ugh.

Frequent them. Get to know them. Provide feedback.

The same reason more value is placed on a human life than that of a primate?

Frequent them. Get to know them. Provide feedback.

Well all I'm saying is it's sick to not value their lives just to make $$. :(

:).

Well let's see, Balloon anything were fish we used to feed to other fish to keep those genes out of the line, Now they are everywhere! Angel rams???? Give me a break :facepalm: Enhanced glow fish :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Fish viruses are popping up all over. The best meds for these were from a company that was forced to close due to too may government regulations and no replacement has been on the market.

Need I go on? :blink:

If you're not up for it, I could help along here. Being a first responder and medical care provider, I've seen what happens outside of the hobby, such as incurable disease, bleed over into this hobby. And it's all our fault. Diseases exist for multiple reasons. The ONLY reason they are moving to the incurable side is lack of commitment on the human part. There are well formulated reasons that a med is required for a specific timeframe. When someone decides "Oh fish look great !!!! Guess I don't need to finish this", is where the "super" diseases are becoming a breeding ground. At a shortened med dosing, the virus builds up immunities to counter being killed off. I know a few folks here do t need to be told this, but there's quite a few that have no clue. And I generally find that with those that boast about how perfect their LFS is and the LFS would never do them or their tank any harm. But the same LFS also recommends male Betta's with male guppies.

+1 all the way, HN1. I have my own preconceived picture set in my head of what some of the looks might be when I post about a QT/HT and the absolute (IMO) necessity they serve. The caveat to having just an empty 10g and a small sponge in a DT, is it's basically instantly available. Research, preparation, and follow through are the simple keys to success. Enjoyment is the benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

At a chain stores saw a 1/2g tank with a divider in it so each fish got 1/4g. It said it is the best home for bettas on the market. I was so disgusted.:(

Fishobsessed7

Has any seen the Teddy tanks? A half gal bowl inside a teddy bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom