what kind of snail is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
can't tell anything from that picture. we need to see the shell.

No further pics needed. Pond for sure.

They have beautiful shells, but I don't really like them lol.

As to where he came from- the eggs can be found on driftwood or plants. The sac's look clear with a bunch of white eggs in the middle. Most people consider them a pest. I don't mind really, they take care of the algae in the tank. They don't really harm anything, plants included. Great food for assasins. ;)

Starka said:
As to where he came from- the eggs can be found on driftwood or plants. The sac's look clear with a bunch of white eggs in the middle. Most people consider them a pest. I don't mind really, they take care of the algae in the tank. They don't really harm anything, plants included. Great food for assasins. ;)

I prefer ramshorns for the cleaning and my ponds for the food lol. But good point.

If there's only one will it breed? As long as he doesn't multiply i don't mind him, but if there's going to be a ton more, i'm going to get rid of him. :) He had to come from a plant, b/c i just put a bunch of new plants in.

RaygunK said:
If there's only one will it breed? As long as he doesn't multiply i don't mind him, but if there's going to be a ton more, i'm going to get rid of him. :) He had to come from a plant, b/c i just put a bunch of new plants in.

I'm not too sure if they breed by themselves, but if I could guess, I would say yes.
As long as you don't overfeed your tank they won't takeover.

No, they are not asexual. However, you can pretty much be assured that if you see one, there are more you don't see. I have gotten them in on my plants too and it always starts off with one, but they are soon many more. Lol.
They shouldn't over populate unless you over feed. Personally, I just leave mine in the tank. I think they are cute with their little eye stocks, but, to each their own. :)

In my opinion, getting rid of them because they will over procreate is a false worry.

They are good indicators of calcium in your tank, along with how much you feed your tank.

As already said, they will appropriately produce based on how much you feed them.

To answer your question, one will reproduce on its own. That does mean they will have poor genes, though.

They aren't asexual, but they are hermaphroditic, and they have both parts, but they would rather exchange genetic information with another snail to keep stock strong.

snails in tank

I too have u.wanted pesky snails that piggy back on plants & driftwood. This does not appear to.be a pesky snail, yet one that could be useful if other snails biggyback in. I bought two assasin snails for my 40 gal planted tank & 1 for my 15 gal planted tank. They get rid of pesky snails that came in on plants & driftwood. Loaches also are good at irradicating unwanted snails that can be harmful to plants & take over your tank! Keep him till you get a good I.d. on him & then decide! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom