10 gallon for dorm room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenRedeemer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking of taking my 10 gallon tank with me to college this year and setting it up. I was just trying to get some ideas for it. I have a 55 at home with live plants and fish. I was thinking of doing live plants in the 10 but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea of not.

How about some nice schooling fish and a centerpiece fish of some sort? For example...
with some good filtration, I would do:
-6 ember tetras
-6 pygmy cories
-one or two endlers livebearers or killies

Or if you were looking for something new:
-Dwarf puffers
-Shell dwellers

Remember to do your research beforehand though! :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
How about some nice schooling fish and a centerpiece fish of some sort? For example...
with some good filtration, I would do:
-6 ember tetras
-6 pygmy cories
-one or two endlers livebearers or killies

Or if you were looking for something new:
-Dwarf puffers
-Shell dwellers

Remember to do your research beforehand though! :)

I think that's a little overstocked for my taste even with good filtration. Not really for the bioload but just in terms of space. I would do either tetras and dwarfs or dwarfs and kills not both. If I'd were me I would do rcs and endlers in a planted tank.

I think I'm going to go with fake plants for the tank even though I think real ones are way better. It would probably be hard on live plants with moving the tank for break and summer. And I have tons of the fake plants already so it'll save me a little money. Why do you guys think about having swordtails in the tank?

Since its only a ten I don't think moving it with live plants would be a problem. Just drain the water level pretty low and move it. But that's just me.

Smaller Shellie species or scarlet badis. I've had a 10 gal, 5 gal and 2.5 gal in my dorm room. Live plants can be done easily, but shellies would be an awesome choice.

I think the live plants would be do able just the money for it right now. Maybe I'll start with fake ones and the replace them with live plants over time

These are all good suggestions. I always suggest ember tetras. I have a 10 gallon with embers and a betta and I love the combo. Lots of color.
I also think swords would prefer more space, but a few platys would be fine. :)

Just be REALLY careful with a fish tank in a dorm room. In freshman year I had a roommate that left our window wide open and it SNOWED that day. The room was freezing by the time I got there. So make it really clear to your roommates to not touch your aquarium unless asked and to not be stupid about leaving windows open!

I think different species. They look alot alike but just..smaller! Haha i didnt buy mine though. It was given to me

Back
Top Bottom