10 gallon for dorm room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never kept a leopold but even still, a 10 is just way too small for any angelfish.
I agree. Leopolds are small, but they are supposed to be very feisty. They should have more space to set up a territory. Besides, a 3.5 inch long angel will stay be relatively tall and should have more room to stretch its fins.

A side note- make sure to check the resident handbook or talk to an RA before taking the tank. Not all dorms allow aquariums and if they do, most likely have gallon restrictions. Make sure to be present during inspections too, some RAs will not be aware that you can have an aquarium and then you get a fine that you have to battle over, etc. Can be a hassle. (personal experience)

Other than that, inform your roommate of your pet and it's a good idea to get them involved, helps to keep them from getting mad at you and spraying cleaner in there, killing all of your fish (another personal experience). Like, have them come with you to pick up the fish or maybe let him/her pick out a plant or two.

Just Google "nano fish" and tons of sites will come up. I personally have two favorite sites that have fish I am wanting to eventually buy.

Nano-Fish

tiny fish list (around an inch or less) - Vivarium Forums

My school allows up to a 10 gallon tank. The sad part is that I went to get my 10 gallon tank out of my shed, haven't set it up for like a year, and there were two big cracks on one end. Pretty disappointing. But I found a 10 gallon for $15 at petsmart

I have it set up and cycling right now. I still have to get a hood that fits and a light but I'll get that soon I have a glass hood that's too long on top right now.

I'm trying to figure out what fish to get. I know I need some sort of Pleco or algae eater and i like the idea of having a school or cories.

FallenRedeemer said:
I'm trying to figure out what fish to get. I know I need some sort of Pleco or algae eater and i like the idea of having a school or cories.

Dwarf/Pygmy cories would look very cool for a clean up crew! Put like 6 of them and either some shrimp or snails in there and you'll have one nice looking tank;)

Pygmy corys are the only ones that would work well in a 10 gallon tank. Also, I would get either a couple of nerite snails or some amano shrimp (depending on the tankmates) for algae control. There are no plecos (IMO) that are ok for a 10 gallon tank. People have given you a few ideas for fish, do you have any idea if you like any of the species people suggested?

I like the cories and I agree that none of the Plecos that I have seen would fit a 10 gallon. I just have petco an petsmart around me so I am a little limited on fish selection but I'm looking at what ones they do have of the platys and gouramis

You could have a few guppies in there.... I love my gupps!

I'm at uni and have an 8gal tank on my desk in my room, 4 male guppies and a few pesky snails I'm trying to get rid of..

Providing you get a healthy guppy from the shop, they're pretty hardy and can tolerate fairly large range of temps and salinity (useful for treating diseases) providing you go slowly...

I just looked at my tank today and there is this film on the top of the water. This is new as of last night. It wasn't there yesterday.

I think it's biofilm, but I'm not sure. If you have enough surface agitation then it should go away

I don't have any fish in the tank. I don't know if that matters. I didn't have much surface agitation cause I didn't have my air stone in because I didn't have a way to keep it submerged. But its in now.

Horay for 10 gal dorm room builds! Mines a sw though so i cant help here..

I have a 10 gal dorm tank! I have some kuhli loaches, cherry shrimp, a crowntail, and a vampire shrimp..lots to check out

Back
Top Bottom