10g Possibilities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilmack07

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today I found a 10g light cover in a box of stuff my boyfriends mom gave us. My friend is going to sell me a 10g tank for 5 bucks. So I'm wondering what are my options for what I could do with this tank? What would you do with it? :)

I would make it a shrimp tank :D shrimp are fascinating little things........Get 20 Red Cherry Shrimp, and before you know it you will have a full breeding colony on your hands! And, when you run out of room, you can sell some of the shrimp for some extra money :brows:

A shrimp tank sounds amazing! I think that would be pretty tight and fun to watch. I was thinking maybe a blue crayfish or this one is my fav idea so far I think is dwarf seahorses! But I'd have to do some research and find out where I could get live food for them at.

I second the shrimp tank idea. My LFS carries a bunch o different ones. Once I get my new salt tank settled a fresh water shrimp tank was my next tank.

yeah, saltwater is a whole other thing.......and what kind of blue crayfish are you talking about? The only one I know of gets to be 5" long and doesn't belong in a 10 gallon........but seriously consider the shrimp tank idea. I love my 10 gallon shrimp tank.

Well I did stumble across a lfs I didn't know about a week or so ago. They had a couple different types of shrimp I believe. I might take a ride down there again and see what they have.

Really, the best place to buy RCS is online. Alot of the time, LFS's sell RCS for $4 per shrimp or so, while you can get them online easily for about $1/shrimp, depending on the grade.

Thank you! I will be comparing prices. I just wanna see what they have. Then I get I see it in person and see if that's really the shrimp for me. But still exploring my options. :)

Definitely shrimp......and endlers! That's what I have in mine. Stick with red cherry shrimp, they are super hardy. You can also get neos in other colors like orange, green, blue......they cost just a little bit more but are nice. Stick with one color though. Interbreeding will revert them back to their wild color of brownish. Lastly, you really only need to start with 10, unless you are impatient. These guys breed like mad! I started with 10 in September. I now have around 70 or 80.

A shrimp tank would be fun; they breed pretty easily so that's fun to watch too. Some other options for a 10 gal;

--a single betta (it may tolerate the shrimp too but it'll depend on the betta's personality)
--a group of 6-8 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio; you could also add a centerpiece fish like a sparkling gourami (avoid the larger types of gourami)
--4-5 guppies
--2-3 platy
--3 african dwarf frogs (dwarf, not clawed)

Cycle your tank before you get your shrimp. And fish like nitrogen cycle

librarygirl said:
A shrimp tank would be fun; they breed pretty easily so that's fun to watch too. Some other options for a 10 gal;

--a single betta (it may tolerate the shrimp too but it'll depend on the betta's personality)
--a group of 6-8 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio; you could also add a centerpiece fish like a sparkling gourami (avoid the larger types of gourami)
--4-5 guppies
--2-3 platy

I like the set up a lot. Just remember to make sure they are dwarf and not clawed. Lots of pet stores mis label them.

--4-5 guppies
--2-3 platy

Oh plenty of options! Haha thank you so much. I'm leaning more towards a shrimp tank only because I have two 5 gallon betta tanks ( trying my hand at planted tanks with them) But I would consider platys or maybe even some really
Colorful guppies just because I've never really messed with those fish before. Dwarf frogs are pretty cool thou. I enjoy watching the ones in my 20g.

The neos I would love to have but I have seen they get pricey but might be able to find a decent deal on some on eBay. I have two betta tanks I have wanted to put the neos in to add some pop. I have read about keeping only one color. Yes I was thinking of starting out with 10 too. Just because I really would want to watch their numbers build haha.

Hob- oh yes with this tank I'm going to try my first fish less cycle.

Maybe I should say my suggestions are OR situations (e.g. 1 betta OR the nano fish OR guppies, etc); you can't have all of those fish at once in a 10 gal ;)

Sorry, didn't know you already had bettas and ADFs :) A shrimp tank would be fun for you I think. Also shrimp have almost zero bioload. If you already have an established tank, just take a small portion of media from one of the filters and put it into the new filter for the 10 gal; that should instantly cycle it for shrimp. Test both tanks (the 10 gal and the tank you took media from) in case any temporary toxin spikes happen but it should be fine.

The neos I would love to have but I have seen they get pricey but might be able to find a decent deal on some on eBay. I have two betta tanks I have wanted to put the neos in to add some pop. I have read about keeping only one color. Yes I was thinking of starting out with 10 too. Just because I really would want to watch their numbers build haha.

You could post a "wanted" ad in the forum's classifieds, and see how many offers you get. Since they breed so readily, many people are willing to sell some off to make a little more room in their tank.

Is everyone meaning neons, I don't think they breed to readily in an aquarium . All tetra have to go through a change in water chemistry in order to trigger them into breeding. But they are available at lot of stores by sometimes are weak sometimes I don't even like looking at them. But they are a hit and miss in my eyes. If your lfs got them from a local breeder they will be much stronger then if they were from a shipping company. But they would look really great in the 10 gallon and would make it pop.

Is everyone meaning neons, I don't think they breed to readily in an aquarium . All tetra have to go through a change in water chemistry in order to trigger them into breeding. But they are available at lot of stores by sometimes are weak sometimes I don't even like looking at them. But they are a hit and miss in my eyes. If your lfs got them from a local breeder they will be much stronger then if they were from a shipping company. But they would look really great in the 10 gallon and would make it pop.

No, they mean "neo" shrimp, as in Neocaridina. :)

Maybe I should say my suggestions are OR situations (e.g. 1 betta OR the nano fish OR guppies, etc); you can't have all of those fish at once in a 10 gal ;)

Sorry, didn't know you already had bettas and ADFs :) A shrimp tank would be fun for you I think. Also shrimp have almost zero bioload. If you already have an established tank, just take a small portion of media from one of the filters and put it into the new filter for the 10 gal; that should instantly cycle it for shrimp. Test both tanks (the 10 gal and the tank you took media from) in case any temporary toxin spikes happen but it should be fine.

Oh yes I got it the with the way you separated the options. Thank you! Oh no need to be sorry how could you possibly know lol. I enjoy all your suggestions I've seen you around and you have helped me about before you are very knowledgable! :)) could I buy extra media like a whole other filter pad and stick it in the back part of one of my running filters? That should allow it to build up bb then I could just transfer that whole media to the 10g and shouldn't have to disturb anything in my 20g. I only ask because I only have one piece of filtration in both of my filters I have on my 20g. I'm just kinda learning that apparently you can put sponges and stuff in be back of your filter for more bb growth?

You could post a "wanted" ad in the forum's classifieds, and see how many offers you get. Since they breed so readily, many people are willing to sell some off to make a little more room in their tank.

That is an amazing idea. I would have never thought of that. Lol I may just have to try that fer sure!!

librarygirl said:
No, they mean "neo" shrimp, as in Neocaridina. :)

Hahaha thanks. about how big do they get and would they hurt baby Bristlenose plecos? I want some shrimp for my grow out tank to clean up a bit and add some colour to it.

Back
Top Bottom