Anenome ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donf

Aquarium Advice Regular
this came with my LR.com shipment. Please ID for me. If this is a pest please advise how to remove.
Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• anenome_205.jpg
    anenome_205.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 148
It's not aiptasia but it could be a majano. A lot of people actually keep these because they don't reproduce as fast as aiptasia. It's up to you. You might just want to keep an eye on it and as long as it doesn't start reproducing it might be cool to have.

I would think you could just go buy a bottle of Joe's Juice and follow the direction. It's always a good idea to keep a bottle around. It dissolves aiptasia and majanos.

Is Joe's Juice the actual product name? Should it be avail at the LFS or do I need to order it online?
Thanks... I'm still very new to this.

Yes it's called "Joe's Juice" it should cost about 10 bucks and be at the lfs depending on how well stocked they are. Some people put boiling water in a syringe and inject it straight into the mouth of the anemone.

Atlantic Aptasia

Sounds like you got some gulf rock from LR.com. I recently had some delivered and I got about 15 of these from quarter sized to baseball sized. I E-mailed Michael at LR.com about them and here is what he had to say..........
The anemone are a south atlantic aptasia. Now before you run and buy a bottle of "joe's juice" and start an eradication campaign consider this. We circulate over 3000 gallons of salt water with up to 5000 pounds of live rock every day 7 days a week. Everybody here has a tank or helps set up and run the office tanks. We have never had these guys explode and spread like we have seen with their Indo pacific cousins. They live about 1 year and seem to have no effect on the soft and stony coral around them. We keep three in our 72 gallon bow in my office. They were put in 07/25/04 and I still have only three. They are seasonal on our offshore reefs and it is the height of thier season. most will be dead and gone by July and the same will happen to yours. A couple of healthy ones will make it and those are the ones we feed and keep in our display.

I had 4 when I got my LR. I juiced them all, and about 20 since then. They do reproduce like crazy, at least in my own (admittedly very limited)experience.

Back
Top Bottom