Is it green or just me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank, ever since I put it together, seems green.

I have a 250 watt light bulb, eco complete substrate and it always seems their are particles in the water

I have an ehiem canister filter.. and never dealt with a canister filter so Im not sure what to clean and how to clean it..

Here is a picture of my tank when i first got it and filled it up with water.. no fish or anything and still kinda green-

img_291566_0_13b50edb17ee8eeb0f59074d75da4c8d.jpg

here it is as of last nite-

img_291566_1_4fa9eff611f9559f1d1706e9c234c68c.jpg

img_291566_2_2bc5af08f43f25adab8b3eb12e3c0d6f.jpg

what do you think I should do? Or what do you think the problem is?

Yeah, it does look a little green. Does it get much sunlight from that window that is next to it? If so, it may be the cause.

how do i get rid of an algae bloom.. ive never had to deal with em before

The blinds are closed on that end at all times and it doesn't get THAT much sunlight because of the way the patio is shaped

If your water parameters are ok, then the best solution is most likely just to wait. New tanks are often cloudy and usually the "cloudy" goes away.

It's been cloudy from minute one right? If not it could be a nutrient or CO2 problem that we read about over in the planted tank portion of the forum.

PS please don't post any more pictures - they make me jealous. That is a very nice setup.

To prevernt excess sunlight from hittting the tank buy window covers not blinds they pull down and are light a white sheet the block light 100%

Dan :)

Sunlight doesn't really get in there because of the way the patio is shaped on top of having the blind closed

How do I get rid of the algea bloom?

How big is the tank? How thick is the glass? My 125 has 1/2 inch glass and has a green tint. How far above the gravel is your filter pickup and return? Eheims move a lot of water, so you could be sucking up sediment or causing it to be disturbed by the return water.

Thats a really good point Bassnman about the filter sucking up the sediment.
...its a 75gal but im not sure how thick the glass is.

I should take apart the filter and clean out the hoses, but im kinda nervous to since I aquired the tank as opposed to setting it up myself. I don't know if that makes sense or not, im just fairly new to the canister filter set up and Id hate to break it!

Cuz there are just a lot of little particles in the water, making it look thick and slightly green

It's pretty just the way it is. :) The green adds...personality. But seriously, if the tank has only been running for a couple of days, it may take awhile for all the sediment to settle. I can't imagine an algea bloom in an extrememly new tank. Wouldn't it need a week or so for it to start churning out baby algae?

Since there are no fish in there, try keeping the light off and covering the tank for a few days so absolutely no light gets in there. You might want to put some carbon in the filter, too. I had green water in my QT tank once, and that did the trick.

It hasn't been a couple of days, its been a few months and it does have fish in it

I looked at the filter tube dealy, and it was REALLY close to the eco-complete.. so I scooped out the eco-complete around the filter tube and put rocks there.. so maybe it won't suck up any more substrate

If that doesn't help then Ill try the no lights thing, but I have plants in there.. so I don't know how well that would work

Are your pickup and returns solid or are they made up of several pieces. If they are in sections, just pull off the bottom section on each and see if it helps. If one piece, put a saucer or small dish under each one for a few days and see if the tank clears. You can measure the glass at the corners. From the pics, you should be able to check at the front corners. Nice looking tank by the way.

Back
Top Bottom