Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well then, got a great deal on an otherwise $8 shrimp! Good to know that it is doing well in the tank and that the RCS will probably do good as well. I might move it to the 16 to avoid any cross breeding between species. What would a cross between a RCS and a snowball look like Would it just be brown or red/white? That would be cool!

You might start out with some unusual coloring but eventually they'll be natural brown.

Shrimp are here! Acclimating right now, can't wait to put them in the tank! No DOA's! I'm drip acclimating them. These shrimp are clear but I'm hoping they'll color up to be red in the tank. I'll post pics of them in the tank once I put them in.

Shrimp are here! Acclimating right now, can't wait to put them in the tank! No DOA's! I'm drip acclimating them. These shrimp are clear but I'm hoping they'll color up to be red in the tank. I'll post pics of them in the tank once I put them in.

Nice! I've had some rather high-grade neos arrive looking clear but they colored up quickly.

Looking forward to pics!

Here are some pics! Puffers only looked and made some bluff charges a couple times. I can only hope that they don't see them as food. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439583534.123857.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439583570.595745.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439583602.092965.jpg

They're starting to color up a bit, hope they'll be completely colored by tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Picking up some algae wafers tomorrow for the shrimp. Just threw in some Hikari Crab Cuisine for now. One question that you guys may find stupid: Will algae wafers bring algae into my tank and cause an algae outbreak? I know it only will if I feed it too much but can the algae be revived once the wafer is submerged? I'll take out ay left overs in the tank so extras aren't a problem.

I don't think algae wafers will cause an algae outbreak. IMO the processing should make the algae non-viable. I could be wrong.
Depending on the size of the wafers, you might want to start with a half or quarter wafer and increase it as needed.
My shrimp did not care for the Hikari Shrimp Cuisine. Blanched zucchini slices are readily accepted.

I don't think algae wafers will cause an algae outbreak. IMO the processing should make the algae non-viable. I could be wrong.
Depending on the size of the wafers, you might want to start with a half or quarter wafer and increase it as needed.
My shrimp did not care for the Hikari Shrimp Cuisine. Blanched zucchini slices are readily accepted.

Alright I'm heading out today to get some. I'm only going to drop in a small piece to see if they even eat them or not. Looks like most shrimp are still alive this morning, but it's really hard to count them. I did get one berried female and she hasn't dropped her eggs yet so that's a good thing. The female puffer, my newest one, is chasing them but it's nothing serious. A couple of the shrimp have "saddles", does this mean that they are females ready to breed? Other than the shrimp nothing new, just going to have to redo Co2 mixture today it's barely making anything. One more question: Are the shrimplets or smaller shrimp at threat of being eaten by the Amano's? I know that they're supposed to be peaceful but after I saw them playing tug of war with a worm I'm not so sure anymore.

Alright I'm heading out today to get some. I'm only going to drop in a small piece to see if they even eat them or not. Looks like most shrimp are still alive this morning, but it's really hard to count them. I did get one berried female and she hasn't dropped her eggs yet so that's a good thing. The female puffer, my newest one, is chasing them but it's nothing serious. A couple of the shrimp have "saddles", does this mean that they are females ready to breed? Other than the shrimp nothing new, just going to have to redo Co2 mixture today it's barely making anything. One more question: Are the shrimplets or smaller shrimp at threat of being eaten by the Amano's? I know that they're supposed to be peaceful but after I saw them playing tug of war with a worm I'm not so sure anymore.

Live worm or dead worm? Just curious. I agree they can be fierce. But I never saw them with a shrimp... They are not really Algae only eating shrimp they like everything especially the Hikari omnivore sinking wafers in the orange label wafers.

Yes if they have saddles they will be having eggs under the tails soon if there are males.

It was a frozen bloodworm. Went to check the tank this morning and there's one dead shrimp up front :( Looks almost like it was molting and then died halfway through. All the other shrimp I can see are still alive though. The majority of them have saddles on their backs and if the rest are males I'll be having lots of berried shrimp soon! New to the whole shrimp thing, but it's cool so far. I've got future plans to put the puffers in the 16 gallon with some more puffers and make the 5.5 a shrimp and badis tank. The Amano shrimp look like real giants compared to the RCS lol.

When I first kept shrimp I experienced a high mortality rate (10 out of 15). These were purchased from an LFS. They did not die early on. In some cases it was weeks later. Nearly all were found in the act of or newly molted. I sought advice on this and the probable cause was low calcium. I picked up some cuttlebone, broke off a few pieces and placed them in the tank.
The next two batches of shrimp I got were from AA members (from NC). Great prices and healthy specimens. The death rate with these were low to none. By this time the tank had aged quite a bit (months had passed). So it could be the stabilization of the tank, increased calcium levels, better stock, or a combination of the these.

When I first kept shrimp I experienced a high mortality rate (10 out of 15). These were purchased from an LFS. They did not die early on. In some cases it was weeks later. Nearly all were found in the act of or newly molted. I sought advice on this and the probable cause was low calcium. I picked up some cuttlebone, broke off a few pieces and placed them in the tank.
The next two batches of shrimp I got were from AA members (from NC). Great prices and healthy specimens. The death rate with these were low to none. By this time the tank had aged quite a bit (months had passed). So it could be the stabilization of the tank, increased calcium levels, better stock, or a combination of the these.

Thanks for the advice! I do have some cuttlebone that I can stick in the filter compartment. I'm gonna go ahead and do that. Should I take it out after a couple weeks or just leave it in until it dissolves? Will it raise pH levels?

I left it in there. I also have a few pieces scattered in the tank, though a bit unsightly against a dark substrate. It will float like a cork at first. In a few days it will absorb water and sink. Some folks grind it into a powder for more immediate results.
I also use a product called Calcium Montmorillonite Clay by MicroLift CMC. It is primary for use in koi ponds. No, I have not tested the calcium levels before and after using the supplements. I have been monitoring the condition of the MTS shells. In my planted tank they looked horrible for the longest time. I believe the plant nutrient uptake affected the availability of key nutrients for shell development. In the shrimp tank the shells are colorful and have no signs of erosion.
Just start off with the cuttlebone for now.

Yep, threw in a small piece into the filter. Found the berried female that I got, here's a pic. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439737731.600299.jpg

Just thought I would get a quick picture of my Co2, so here it is. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439813323.421754.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439813350.940605.jpg

And one of the more red RCS in the tank :)
Would it make sense to move the puffs to the 16 when my GBR is gone? I want to give them more space and the shrimp wouldn't be in danger then in the 5.5 I actually might get some scarlet badis for the 5.5 once the DP's are out, or would they always be nipping at the adult RCS too? It's okay if they eat a shrimplet here and there but as long as the adults are okay I'm fine.

I kept a small group of badis in a 5g with shrimp. Lots of plants, moss, floating plants, cholla wood. I have no doubt shrimplets were eaten but the badis would only stalk and stare at the adults:

img_3266657_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

I kept a small group of badis in a 5g with shrimp. Lots of plants, moss, floating plants, cholla wood. I have no doubt shrimplets were eaten but the badis would only stalk and stare at the adults:

img_3266962_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

Awesome pic! I have to free up some space in my tanks for everything. With only 2 tanks it's kinda hard to find space for everything lol. I do have a 10 gallon that will be open soon and I'll try getting the shrimp in there if I find space for the 10 lol. Got my head full with moving fish, school and personal stuff right now. Kinda tired anyway so pics tomorrow of shrimp and puffers!

Here are some pics, didn't get around to taking any until this morning. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440161216.122093.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440161269.911854.jpg some baby tears I got are really taking off
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440161377.664459.jpg And a shot from above. Only thing that's changed is I added a small 50 watt heater and trimmed the bludgeon a bit. RCS are still doing good, I think there are about 8 or 9 left. When should I expect to see some more berried shrimp? Only have one right now. I hope that the warmer water will get the shrimp in breeding mood.

Lookin good, bro. Im diggin that red amano. Glad to see that baby tears is doing well for ya.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom