29g High SeaPora - Fantail and friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StepanLevin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Pretty new to the hobby, I inherited a fantail goldfish from a friend of a friend a couple months ago. They have been getting along well enough in an Aqueon 10g starter kit set up for them with a gravel/pebble substrate, couple large rocks, fake plant and a moss ball.

I have been working on setting up a 29g high tank to move my fantail to:
- 1-2" CaribSea gemstone gravel/pebble substrate
- AquaClear 50 HoB filter
- DIY Kraft peanut butter internal filter using 20-100gph air pump (also connected to a decoration so flow may be halved?)
- Handful of decorations
- Elodea Densa and Hornwort from locals
- 10 gold white cloud minnows
- 2 pond snails

Here is a link to some pictures and videos I took: https://imgur.com/a/l9t036j

I just got the White Cloud Minnows today. The pond snails are hitchhikers from the Hornwort I picked up it seems. I have a standing flexible lamp over top to give some light until my proper light arrives next week: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FMFPGPZ/?ref=exp_jcpaquarium_dp_vv_d

I picked up a small Anubias Nana that I'm growing in front of a window that gets decent sunlight, have a small lamp near it during off hours. I also got what my FLS called "mixed moss" but is labelled weeping moss on the container, I'm growing that with the Anubias for the time being. I'm hoping I could place it in a hollow glass skull decoration I'm using and block the top with filter floss or something to prevent creatures from getting in.

Local tap water levels:
Ammonia - 0.5-1
pH - 7.6-8.2
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 10-20ppm

My FLS said that addressing the higher pH in my tap water would be challenging and is unnecessary. They assured me that anything they stock is intended to be able to be used with standard local tap water.

I'm thinking of adding some Bamboo shrimp, Apple or Mystery snails and driftwood. My intention is to give my minnows and plants some time to settle in before introducing my Fantail.

I would love any suggestions with respect to what I can add to my tank as I know Fantail Goldfish can be challenging to build around. In particular anything that can make maintenance/upkeep simpler or more affordable. One thing I'm considering is turning my 10g into a planted refugium or sump.

Your goldfish will eat anything smaller than it. Your minnows may be fast enough but maybe avoid shrimp.
Good luck, sounds like your doing your best for the goldfish.

Thanks! My understanding is Bamboo shrimp are big enough to not fit in the mouth of my goldfish but looking at the minnows I'm definitely tentative about introducing my Fantail. I would really like to give them some companions but might settle for a second Fantail to ensure my little guys don't become bait.

Back
Top Bottom