Powerhead question......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering what some of you do to try and get your powerheads from rattling. I can't seem to get mine to stop. They worked great until I cleaned them, now they rattle like mad. I've already threw a couple away and got new ones, but I don't want to keep wasting money like that. I've tried just about everything I know, and they are loud.

Pull out the impeller and make sure there is no crud around it or in the base where the impeller goes. I had one that had gotten a snail in there and it rattled like crazy till I cleaned that out.

No, it's not bent. It's a fairly new unit, and it seems like after every time I clean a powerhead, it always rattles and can't get it to stop.

Are you sure you have it connected tight. If it didn't seat right it will do that.

Everything is tight and put back together properly. I just pulled it apart again and it is even worse now. I can hear it clear across the house.

I also have an Aqua Clear that rattles too, but not as loud. Can't get it to stop either.

my filters rattled real bad until i took the impeller out and pushed it firmly in to the tube...i had been putting it in the motor, and was told my somebody to put it in the tube, then put the tube on the filter, havent rattled since... with my powerheads, i can do the same, though i havent got my new tank setup so i havent tested them yet... could it be possible to do the same on yours?

I just pulled it again and tried pushing it in the cap rather than the motor housing and it still rattles, a little louder than it was. I may just replace it anyways, not happy with the noise it makes. It's like the 3rd Rio I've bought. I've also thrown away a Marineland PH and one other brand due to the noise, lol. I've never had filters make that kind of noise, even after cleaning out the impellers. Only powerheads. The reason I like the Rio is because it's small, and use it for surface aggitation, so it's located on the back wall just under the lip of the tank at the surface.

Well, I went to Petco just to get something fairly cheap and got a Marineland Penguin 550. I was looking at getting the Koralias if I decide to start a SW tank, they seem really cool. But for now I just got something cheap, and hopefully it will last a while. I've had one of these before, and after the first cleaning, it rattled as well and gave it away to a friend. Not sure if he was able to fix it or not. But giving it another shot.

If this one gives you the rattling, return it and get a koralia. For just agitating the surface, the nano will be plenty imo. They are well worth the money. I have cleaned mine many times and even ran them dry as I forgot to unplug during pwc and they still work as good as they did when new. By the way, getting a cheap ph will cost you in the long run (eleectricity).

I have it set up now and it's nice and quiet, now I can hear my Aquaclear, lol. It rattles, but wasn't as loud as the Rio, lol. Almost thought it was quiet, til I turned off the Rio, lol. Will take that one out tomorrow and adjust it again, I can usually adjust it til it's almost quiet by rotating the impeller cover that holds it in place. If it's not just right, it rattles, but not too bad. The Penguin is silent.

Maybe it's because they are all cheap, lol. But was hoping there was a simple solution to it other than buying a new one, lol.

Back
Top Bottom