My 'leech' tank revisited....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone!!!
Well, after a DEVASTATING leech infestation and having to trash basically everything in my DT tank (except for the fish), bleach the tank & filters, paint and then recycle it, I can finally say its almost done! I will probably rearrange the plants/add new ones a few more times & I plan on moving the powerheads so I can add another tier to my rocks, but its for the most part completed!! I enclosed a pic of what it originally looked like as well. :dance:

Attachments

• 100_2960.jpg
    100_2960.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_3003.jpg
    100_3003.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_3006.jpg
    100_3006.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_3010.jpg
    100_3010.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 134
Love the ROCKS!!! Where did you get em? Im plant retarded but they look nice as well. Love the sand. Any PH issues? LOL

They were a pain in the rear to find but it turns out theres a place right on Horsham Rd about 1/2 mile past the police station/park with a big selection of all sorts of interesting rocks! :)

They were a pain in the rear to find but it turns out theres a place right on Horsham Rd about 1/2 mile past the police station/park with a big selection of all sorts of interesting rocks! :)

Got a name for me or ar you just gonna dangle the carrot in front of my face?
:popcorn:

Looks good! Can we have some close up of your goldies? :D
Oh and what plants?

I only have my ryukin (who is bigger than a baseball) & my little expensive girl in there now. I am pretty sure he is completely asexual & is too slow to really do any chasing so he is good company for her until next month when I expect two beautiful babies from a private breeder. He only sells them 2x a year- mar & oct, so I am trying to be patient! Ill see if i can find some pics on computer (my little girl is asleep on my lap so cant take any pics right now!) of my fat boy!

The plants...hmm, well, I am pretty much plant-retarded! I know the basics- some wisteria, anubias, bacopa, pennywort, & 2 tiger lotus that I am growing from bulbs. The big guys are some type of swords (i think...)but they werent labeled- they were justed listed as 'misc swords' at the lfs & I figured they were big enough to have a bit of presence in this size tank. If everything grows, I am happy!! :)

Leech infestation?! What exactly do you mean..how did that happen? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm horrified...

Unfortunately, im not 100% sure of where the leeches came from. It was either the mystery snails or from eggs on a plant I added months earlier & they just happened to hatch. As i discovered, nothing kills leech eggs because they are incased in a hard shell (and i disinfect my plants) & they can hatch months or even years later when the conditions are right....

Glad to see everything Is back! Nice tank! I read Your thread about them earlier, back when you first posted it. I can't even begin to tell you how freaked out it made me!! Haha i inspected my tank for like 3 hours after that thread lol

I'm SO happy you finally got rid of those little suckers! The tank looks awesome! Except for that little black spot in the far left corner? Are you sure you got them all?? ;-) (sorry I couldn't resist)

What do leech eggs look like? Could you see them?

I probably should taken pics of them for everyone to see! They are brown little football-shaped hard shells. Very small but yes you can see them with the naked eye. The shell is made of stuff similar to the shell of a beetle & they can stick to any surface anywhere (not free floating but stuck to something). Little alien pods with blood sucking creatures inside.....

Back
Top Bottom