TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Turkish hazel were pretty much soaked or I just got tired of waiting. Had to press them a bit into the sand but they're staying down. I had some flame moss waiting to go into the tank that was starting to brown. Just dropped that in and let it settle on the two pieces. They're definitely interesting looking. Netted 3 really nice red cherries from the jungle tank and moved them in. There are probably a few more I'd like to move, maybe later today. I got the Aquabid auction for sakura to high sakura grade shrimp. They're shipping today. I'd like to add a few more dwarf sag then it should be ready for them.

Lost 2 green neons in the 16g. I assume age because stock in the tank hasn't changed, no new plants or foods, water quality is great, and the other fish are fine.

Fed the tanks frozen food tonight, combination of blood worms and BBS. The rasboras get such nice color from the worms, although it takes them a bit of time to finish even one:

img_3285033_0_e38aa852b1fc8cac3e9d6204d6a70412.jpg

img_3285033_1_ce9eb687d51f07477f35f648fb29a17c.jpg

This is the feeding frenzy in the 2.5g: dwarf amber barbs, red rili shrimp, MTS, and nerite snails:

img_3285033_2_3044a651595b779a2babae4a86eaed31.jpg

I'd never actually seen the shrimp eat worms before:

img_3285033_3_80c5ad414939e2c85f4f4fb18f36863a.jpg

Yummy! Do you shut off the filter during dinner time? Just curious because the BBS is so small it looks like large pollen to me and would be easily sucked into the filter.
I will have to treat the fish to frozen blood worms tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fed the tanks frozen food tonight, combination of blood worms and BBS. The rasboras get such nice color from the worms, although it takes them a bit of time to finish even one:

img_3285060_0_e38aa852b1fc8cac3e9d6204d6a70412.jpg

img_3285060_1_ce9eb687d51f07477f35f648fb29a17c.jpg

This is the feeding frenzy in the 2.5g: dwarf amber barbs, red rili shrimp, MTS, and nerite snails:

img_3285060_2_3044a651595b779a2babae4a86eaed31.jpg

I'd never actually seen the shrimp eat worms before:

img_3285060_3_80c5ad414939e2c85f4f4fb18f36863a.jpg

Very nice color on the rasboras!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did a big bunch of work in the Endlers tank today. Big water change, trimmed some plants, moved some others. I also moved the plant guard to the side of the tank. When I originally got it I basically stuck it in the tank sectioning off about a quarter. Worked fine but the black suction cup on the front glass was driving me crazy every time I looked at the tank. I also decided to add a breeding/fry net. I've had the Endlers for quite a while but the colony doesn't seem to be growing much. It's just the Endlers, otos, and kuhliis. They aren't know to eat their own fry so I have no idea what's going on. Anyhow, there are now 6 fry in the net along with the last bits of water sprite from the jungle tank.

So much sun in that room, not direct but bright enough to remind me why I like to work on my tanks in the evening :blink: Here's a quick before shot:

img_3285245_0_dacbc90bcdac50ba7dfb857aee62ce1d.jpg

And this one is after. It's definitely now a functional tank rather than display:

img_3285245_1_e049be8dcfb4204599592b800632c795.jpg

As I was writing this mail was delivered:

img_3285245_2_b99f673ce0605a09d7aae4fc160ad953.jpg

They were packaged well and no DOAs, nice variety of sizes. As they're coloring up though I'm noticing a few with some blue so those might go in the jungle tank. I really want to use the new 2.5g for good quality reds.

Everything looks great! Awesome shrimp, love the deep reds!

Thanks!

I'm really frustrated with the breeder net. It got good reviews on Amazon but I think the fry are escaping so time to shop again.

How? Are there any holes or did the jump out? Adding more floating plants or some gravel on the bottom (or both) may help.

When my male shellie was exiled from the tank I put him in a breeder box and he was really jumpy. Adding floating plants on top. calmed him down a lot.

How? Are there any holes or did the jump out? Adding more floating plants or some gravel on the bottom (or both) may help.

When my male shellie was exiled from the tank I put him in a breeder box and he was really jumpy. Adding floating plants on top. calmed him down a lot.

I'm not sure. The mesh seems small enough and these are livebearer fry so they're decent size. I have 3 pieces of water sprite in the box so I don't think they're jumping.

What type of box do you use? This is one of those plastic frame things with the netting and suction cup.

Same and same. Mine has a clip to the side of the tank instead of a suction cup so the rim is a decent half inch above the water. Maybe they jump somehow?

Same and same. Mine has a clip to the side of the tank instead of a suction cup so the rim is a decent half inch above the water. Maybe they jump somehow?

Looks like a few issues. They could definitely be jumping, and after staring at the darn thing for a while I noticed a small separation between the mesh and plastic rim. So definitely time to shop again....

All but 1 fry escaped the box, new one should be delivered today. Fun times catching fry later today :rolleyes:

The kuhlis in the 16g are definitely comfortable, rarely hiding anymore:

img_3285956_0_b4e552e639407318a1009d740e874c51.jpg

Quality of this shot isn't as good as the other but it does show every type of fish in the tank, including a somewhat cut off forktail at the top left:

img_3285956_1_ddb0a24ca842b489661709748bac8a97.jpg

I've definitely decided to tear down/re do the Spec. Leaning towards a blue neon goby but not sure what else. Also want to do something about the substrate. That decision will be based on the goby and if I decide to have shrimp or not.

Happy Friday :flowers:

Very nice! My peacock gudgeons never colored up that nicely.

No school today! Woohoo!
Your fish look great! I'm envious of those kuhli's, I've wanted some for a while now but I always have bad luck with bottom dwellers.
What do you have in mind for he spec? Heavily planted? Shrimp? Whatever it will be I can't wait to see it!

That looks great!!(all your tanks look great!)
I am so hoping for gudgeons from clayman!
What an attractive group you have in this tank.
I have 2 spec V and love them although I find them hard to get up to everyone else standard of excellence!
You are ROCKING the kuhlis!!

All but 1 fry escaped the box, new one should be delivered today. Fun times catching fry later today :rolleyes:

The kuhlis in the 16g are definitely comfortable, rarely hiding anymore:

img_3286182_0_b4e552e639407318a1009d740e874c51.jpg

Quality of this shot isn't as good as the other but it does show every type of fish in the tank, including a somewhat cut off forktail at the top left:

img_3286182_1_ddb0a24ca842b489661709748bac8a97.jpg

I've definitely decided to tear down/re do the Spec. Leaning towards a blue neon goby but not sure what else. Also want to do something about the substrate. That decision will be based on the goby and if I decide to have shrimp or not.

Happy Friday :flowers:

I love the look of those Peacock Gudgeons. Are they hard to care for? Will they eat flake food?

Edit: I saw online that they'll accept flake, and are generally easy to care for. I was thinking of the picky Badis.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The peacock gudgeons I had would not accept flake. They were bred by someone who only used live and frozen food. I tired many times with flake and pellets and it was a no go. Might want to ask whomever you get your from just tp be sure.

Very nice! My peacock gudgeons never colored up that nicely.
I've heard other people say that too and I hesitated buying them for that reason. Very glad I decided to get them though!

No school today! Woohoo!
Your fish look great! I'm envious of those kuhli's, I've wanted some for a while now but I always have bad luck with bottom dwellers.
What do you have in mind for he spec? Heavily planted? Shrimp? Whatever it will be I can't wait to see it!

No idea about the Spec! I've really wanted to try a blue neon goby...what I'm currently thinking is that, some sort of brighter shrimp (have blue dreams in there now, can hardly see them on the EC), and maybe some sort of brighter top-mid dwelling fish.

That looks great!!(all your tanks look great!)
I am so hoping for gudgeons from clayman!
What an attractive group you have in this tank.
I have 2 spec V and love them although I find them hard to get up to everyone else standard of excellence!
You are ROCKING the kuhlis!!

They're really interesting fish, lots of personality!

The Spec drives me crazy, although I may have mentioned that a few times :hide:

I love the look of those Peacock Gudgeons. Are they hard to care for? Will they eat flake food?

Edit: I saw online that they'll accept flake, and are generally easy to care for. I was thinking of the picky Badis.

Definitely not picky but I try to get some food into the filter output since the peacocks stay away from the surface feeding crazy forktails and neons :blink:

The peacock gudgeons I had would not accept flake. They were bred by someone who only used live and frozen food. I tired many times with flake and pellets and it was a no go. Might want to ask whomever you get your from just tp be sure.

Mine will eat anything, like I said though they won't compete at the surface. Guess it depends on how they were bred/raised.

I've heard other people say that too and I hesitated buying them for that reason. Very glad I decided to get them though!

No idea about the Spec! I've really wanted to try a blue neon goby...what I'm currently thinking is that, some sort of brighter shrimp (have blue dreams in there now, can hardly see them on the EC), and maybe some sort of brighter top-mid dwelling fish.

They're really interesting fish, lots of personality!

The Spec drives me crazy, although I may have mentioned that a few times :hide:

Definitely not picky but I try to get some food into the filter output since the peacocks stay away from the surface feeding crazy forktails and neons :blink:

Mine will eat anything, like I said though they won't compete at the surface. Guess it depends on how they were bred/raised.

The guy I purchased them from said he had about 100 tanks. I am not sure why then due to cost he wouldn't have fed them any flake food.

Back
Top Bottom