My marbel angle fish laid eggs! Neat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wigglers! I have a query for you guys. I have found some conflicting info about this online. How soon do you guys start feeding the fry? Wiggler stage or free swimming stage? I have first bites and baby brine shrimp.

they don't eat until they are free swimming. The egg sac that they feed on while wiggling is what keeps them from swimming around.
Thank you. Thats what I had always thought, but then I suddenly found info where a bunch of people starting feeding first bites to the wigglers, so I wanted to double check that I wasn't doing anything wrong. :)

The last thing you want to do is add prepared food to them while they are wiggling, it'll just fungus over and they won't be able to get away from it.
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.
In the past, I have just taken few eggs from the parents and left the rest with them to try and raise, but this time I took them all, so we will see what happens. I have raised them to free swimmers before, but then had them slowly drop off one by one. This time I have better set-up, so hopefully I get a few to sell-able sizes.

I am told mine are still wiggling, but I'm not where they are, so I don't know really know for sure how they are doing. :(

My Angels still aren't laying, but I did move Baby (what I call my one angel from the previous batch) into one of the community tanks tonight. :)

I have wrigglers now. Not the biggest brood. Maybe 100. Let's see if I can improve on my 3 % survival rate. My first batch are about an inch now.

Zp I'm sure they will soon. Think u should name ur small survivor Bruce, after Bruce Willis in film Unbreakable where he was the only survivor of a train crash!!! How's the feeding going guys?

Mine are loving up the first bites. I took awhile for this batch to all release from the leaf and be free-swimming, so I was getting a little concerned, but my survivors seem to be doing well so far!

I got a 100 or so free swimmers. Not sure if they are feeding yet but next 2 days will be crucial. I got them on liquifry and live brine shrimp are ready! Fingers crossed.

My pair spawned again! that is faster than they usually spawn after laying eggs. I only have 1 grow-out tank though, so I am just leaving these eggs in the tank and the other fish can have some caviar at night.
I still have about 30 or more free swimmers. They are getting bigger, so thats good. Do you guys keep any snails or otos or anything in the tank with the babies, or just the babies? I am inclined to leave it as just the babies, juts curious what you all do.

Going well. From my worst laying I've had my best success rate. All swimmers seem to be feeding well. hard to count but maybe 100. Fingers crossed.

Zp I'm sure they will soon. Think u should name ur small survivor Bruce, after Bruce Willis in film Unbreakable where he was the only survivor of a train crash!!! How's the feeding going guys?

I've named him Baby :) I should put up some pictures, he is all fins, looks kind of funny.

Back
Top Bottom