10 gallon low-light with dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found out it's unhealthy for the soil/tank to be so lightly planted. You're supposed to plant heavily upon doing such a tank. I've been told that the soil can actually attribute to ammonia issues if there aren't enough plants.

Since my stupid SweetAquatics order has yet to ship, I'm going to take the subway into Manhattan tomorrow and check out this place my brother found. Hopefully they have good plants.

That is a good information Nick. I am thankful I got some plants today from ebay then. I also got a notification from sweetaquatics yesterday telling me that they mailed out (finally from 2/14/2011 order) my plants and will be here tomorrow...I hope you find good plants in the place your bother recommended.

Got three Rotala roundifolia. $5 bucks a pop, not too bad as a lot came in a bushel. They didn't have a great selection of plants, but will definitely go back there for fish. Cool place. Loving the Rotala. Hopefully this will do my soil some good as well as my parameters. Pics shortly.

I think the rotala R will work out well!! Get some pics up once it is settled...

Here's a pic. There is still room behind the rotala to plant some taller plants. That window is going to be a pain for pictures now. Gotta get a longer shade.

img_1258884_0_e625b66a21bad41f913e8fd75c18bff6.jpg

Looks like the dirt settled nicely. Lovin the cardinals. Such great fish for planted tanks!

You really have a good eye for aquascaping... good use of negative space. I am terrible at it.

Thanks man, appreciate that.
The dirt hasn't settled, unfortunately. It's still making my water pretty cloudy and a little brown. Picture doesn't show it, at least! I tried to get more cardinals today but they aren't getting any in until Tuesday.

daileene said:
That is a good information Nick. I am thankful I got some plants today from ebay then. I also got a notification from sweetaquatics yesterday telling me that they mailed out (finally from 2/14/2011 order) my plants and will be here tomorrow...I hope you find good plants in the place your bother recommended.

Daileene, have you ordered from sweet aquatics before this last time? Are they always that slow? I ordered some stuff for my tank last Saturday, should I expect it to take a month to get my plants?

Man I hope not.

Anyway Marconis your tank looks great, mine is starting to clear and I got my co2 working finally. Keep it up and of course we like pictures and video.

Your tank looks sweet! I suck at scaping. I just put plants in and let them grow haha. My water has turned a brown tint too. Almost like tannins, which it wouldn't surprise me if it is since there's so much sawdust and wood in the dirt.

Daileene, have you ordered from sweet aquatics before this last time? Are they always that slow? I ordered some stuff for my tank last Saturday, should I expect it to take a month to get my plants?

Man I hope not.

Anyway Marconis your tank looks great, mine is starting to clear and I got my co2 working finally. Keep it up and of course we like pictures and video.

Hello Mixer, yes I did order from them before that and it was fine, arrived at the expected date. It was just that, when I ordered again 2-14-2011, couple days after that, they were hit by the bad rainstorm and their warehouse was damaged and cut their electricity as well. They were transferred temporarily to a place nearby after but has to get all their inventory replaced (as well as my order)..so unfortunately it took my order longer. They all told me that through an email when I was verifying were my order was. I was gonna file a dispute via Paypal, but I gave them time and they finally sent me a shipping status last wednesday. Unfortunately, I have waited today for the FedEx to come but they didn't before I had to go to my mother in laws for the weekend. I asked my father in law to see if I indeed got delivered a box today in my porch tomorrow when he goes to work and bring it home with him so I could at least put them in water, if ever. Don't want them dying on me now and I have waited for this long.

So sorry for the long explanation Nick...

Thanks, guys! I appreciate all the encouraging words. Mfd, I love your tank(s).

@Mixer-I've ordered from them once prior and it came within 2 days of the following week. Daileene told me the same thing, so they are probably really backed up.

Awesome tanks for the reply, I just didn't know if I would be waiting a month or if I might get it next week. Sounds like it might be hit or miss, I will give it a few days into next week and email them if I don't get an email.

Ordered some Excel for a carbon source. Need to get this thing rolling.

Rotala Indica has some fragile leaves!

Won't be getting more plants any time soon. $130 for a traffic violation. I love giving money to NYC's finest. That's $245 in 2 months. Someone kill me.

Ouch! $245, wow you could have bought a really nice rimless tank from advanced acrylics for that much, and it would have been a lot more fun.

Too bad, well I'm sure you'll be able to work some more and make it up.

Ouch! $245, wow you could have bought a really nice rimless tank from advanced acrylics for that much, and it would have been a lot more fun.

Too bad, well I'm sure you'll be able to work some more and make it up.

Lol, yep. I only work 1-2 times a week, so it'll be a rough day this Saturday knowing all my funds are going to this ticket. :p On the bright side, my Walstad book came today. Going to start reading it soon.

a little late, here ... but what are these 27w cf like? i have put 27w cf adjustable floor lamp(6700k) over my 20gallon and when close, they are okay and you shouldnt worry if it gets water/salt buildup on the bulb(use common sense) just wipe the bulb down when it gets water and salt residue on it. i gotta say t-5s are getter, really better when lower wattage like that.2 14w n.o. t-5s are better i.m.o., not to mention 2 24watt h.o. t-5s.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom